You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 259260261 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:

More Than Any Other Day by Ought

Yeah, this is some high-quality post-punk, with instrumental subtlety as well as lyrical depth. Also, I was only expecting music utilizing the classic post-punk emotional blend of depressive/angry/alienated, but the title(ish) track had me grinning from ear to ear. In retrospect, the cover was a clue. Very solid record throughout, with some highlights sprinkled in. 3.5/5.


I highly recommend catching them live, if you ever get the chance. They're super tight and a lot of fun.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:

I highly recommend catching them live, if you ever get the chance. They're super tight and a lot of fun.


Sad news but a mate of mine near them told me they have officially broken up - just not announced
  • Quote
That's a shame about Ought...as far as I know they never toured Australia and I was hoping to get to see them live one day.


Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden

Well this took me a bit by surprise. Actually quite enjoyed it. Much more so than the other Iron Maiden albums I've heard (Powerslave, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, & The Final Frontier). For a start I think I appreciated the overall rawness that can often be found on a debut album. It seemed there was a bit more variety from song to song (a reason I often tend to enjoy debut albums more where bands still haven't quite found their signature sound). Instead of power and shredding, there seemed to be more interesting beats, and melody, and just more interesting song writing to me. Possibly from an influence of the rockier '70s prog that I could hear at times. At the risk of annoying Iron Maiden fans (sorry Zep) I much preferred the vocalist here to Bruce Dickinson. For some reason Bruce's vocals annoy me a bit. I didn't really notice the lyrics much here, which is probably a good thing, because I did on later albums. I think there wasn't the heightened focus on guitar and vocals that I got from their later albums, and more of a whole band approach. But I'm not an Iron Maiden or heavy metal fan so I could be way off the mark here. 7.5/10, and 27/33 for 1980.




Still lots of great choices here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿคฃ but there are two I was tossing up between for you Baystate. I'm lucky enough to be somewhere where live music is happening again (local bands only) and I'm going to see Pond in a couple of weeks (I've lost count of how many times I've seen them, more than any other band apart from maybe King Gizzard, and Jebediah), so let's go with their best album.


Man It Feels Like Space Again by Pond




BEA's Best Albums of 1980 (3 picks left)

5. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) by David Bowie
6. The River by Bruce Springsteen
11. Pretenders by Pretenders
12. Crazy Rhythms by The Feelies
13. Sandinista! by The Clash
14. Boy by U2
15. Get Happy!! by Elvis Costello And The Attractions
17. Ace Of Spades by Motรถrhead
21. Gaucho by Steely Dan
22. Blizzard Of Ozz by Ozzy Osbourne
  • Quote
Purplepash wrote:
That's a shame about Ought...as far as I know they never toured Australia and I was hoping to get to see them live one day.


Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden

Well this took me a bit by surprise. Actually quite enjoyed it. Much more so than the other Iron Maiden albums I've heard (Powerslave, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, & The Final Frontier). For a start I think I appreciated the overall rawness that can often be found on a debut album. It seemed there was a bit more variety from song to song (a reason I often tend to enjoy debut albums more where bands still haven't quite found their signature sound). Instead of power and shredding, there seemed to be more interesting beats, and melody, and just more interesting song writing to me. Possibly from an influence of the rockier '70s prog that I could hear at times. At the risk of annoying Iron Maiden fans (sorry Zep) I much preferred the vocalist here to Bruce Dickinson. For some reason Bruce's vocals annoy me a bit. I didn't really notice the lyrics much here, which is probably a good thing, because I did on later albums. I think there wasn't the heightened focus on guitar and vocals that I got from their later albums, and more of a whole band approach. But I'm not an Iron Maiden or heavy metal fan so I could be way off the mark here. 7.5/10, and 27/33 for 1980.



Right there with you Purple, and I'm a HUGE Maiden Stan. This is my second favorite Iron Maiden album. My favorite is Killers which comes one year later.

#di'annoforever
  • Quote
Anyone who claims that Killers is their best or that the debut is great gets a nod of approval from me
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Man It Feels Like Space Again by Pond

Things I noticed before listening:

- The cover is a cool, colorful riff on Cheap Thrills.
- There's a song called Heroic Shart, which is dumb. Luckily the subject matter doesn't match the title.
- Kevin Parker has a big role behind the boards. In fact, he has had one on all of their records since he left the band in 2011.

As it turns out, the sound is very distinctively Kevin Parker. The record gets off to a strong start. Then it lags in the middle, where it could have used some trimming. However, it comes roaring back in the end, and the epic closing title track might be the best on the album. Pond are at their best when they are at their heaviest. Man It Feels Like Space Again definitely has flaws, but the four tracks that bookend the album are strong enough to make it a great slice of psychedelia overall. Recommended to any fan of Tame Impala (surprise, surprise). 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Try this one from the Boss. The title track might be my favorite of his.


The River by Bruce Springsteen

~~~~~

3. Purplepash's AOTYs

1960: Have Guitar, Will Travel - Bo Diddley
1974: Rock N Roll Animal - Lou Reed
1981: Prayers On Fire - The Birthday Party
1997: Slightly Odway - Jebediah
2006: Just Like The Fambly Cat - Grandaddy
2008: The Long Now - Children Collide
2009: Baby Darling Doll Face Honey - Band Of Skulls
2011: Thank You, Happy Birthday - Cage The Elephant
2012: Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
2019: Commit Yourself Completely - Car Seat Headrest

(Most likely the second to last pick from this series. Let's see if anyone selects one of the two on this list that I'm really hoping to get.)
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Taking Up Your Precious Time by Pretty Lights

Great instrumental hip hop kind of album. That's all I'll say, because I don't want to go on for too long, and I want to do one of my sample finding things that I've done in the past.

So, the most well-known song of this album uses two samples that have been used in other great songs.

The first being the song "Private Number", which was used for the song "You Wish" by Nightmares on Wax, coincidentally, also in 2006. However, I was shocked to see that, apparently, they are two different samples of the same song.

"You Wish" uses a version by Judy Clay and William Bell from 1968,

"Finally Moving" uses a version by Sonny Stitt which was made a year later.

Here's that guitar lick. I'll use the Sonny Stitt version.


Link


The second most prominent sample is from the great Etta James.

The song of course is "Something's Got A Hold on Me" which is most known for it's use in the Avicii hit "Levels".


Link


Anyways, here's "You Wish", which does not feature Etta...


Link


And here's the song in question, "Finally Moving" which features both of those samples.


Link


It's actually better than both.

Precipitation - Meditations on the Self and the Other
Perigeo - Non รˆ Poi Cosรฌ Lontano
Heathered Pearls - Loyal
Il Baricentro - Sconcerto
White Woods : Spaceship Earth
Musette - Datum
The Work - Slow Crimes
Neil Ardley - Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows
Miharu Koshi - Parallelisme
MIchael Chion- Requiem
  • Quote
Please, sir, may I have a rec?
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

A Book Of Human Language by Aceyalone
Someone in this game said (I think it's Purple) that it's one of the most positive hip hop albums he has heard. I don't think the subject matter is that light or fun, but in the end the message is pretty positive. The whole album has an extremely cool concept, something I'd expect of a prog rock album, which is a funny connection to make. It's an extremely smart concept album about people, time, life, death, nature and language, with each song being about a different topic. There's even a song Contents (3rd one, it's a bit weird that it isn't the opener) which lists all of the themes, song titles and similar things discussed in songs. Again, I absolutely love the concept and the lyricism, but the hooks on album are sparse and not very memorable. The production by Mumbles is smooth, groovy and ocassionally jazzy, but not really as mind blowing as the lyrics. It's also 1h 8 minutes long, which can be a challenge. Overall it's still damn good and I love The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady sample on Human Language, which is probably the best song overall. 8/10

(2)
Baystate listen to Parquet Courts, Chief go with White Woods : Spaceship Earth

(3)
Tha1ChiefRocka 1990s/2000s charts mashup && Jameth 1990s/2000s charts mashup

Don Caballero - Don Caballero 2
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
The Locust - Plague Soundscapes
Shiner - The Egg
Wilderness - Wilderness
KMD - Black Bastards
Gravitar - Freedom's Just Another Word For Never Getting Paid
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
--------------------------------------
Ali Farka Tourรฉ - The River
Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s


Last edited by LedZep on 10/23/2020 21:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Please, sir, may I have a rec?


Sorry, I spent so much time on the write up that I forgot.

Bo Diddley

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 259260261 ... 444445446  Next
Page 260 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.