2020 albums

Goto page Previous  123 ... 495051 ... 565758  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Spyglass wrote:
dihansse wrote:
I'm gradually relistening to the 2020 albums that really caught my attention and I can't be enthusiastic enough about this death metal/sludge metal cover album by Inter Arma, a band that I don't really know otherwise:

Garbers Days Revisited by Inter Arma
Normally I try to avoid to put cover albums in my year chart but I gladly make an exception for this one. The way how they adapt the original songs and make them their own completely in an absolutely devastating way (this is after all a death metal band) is incredible and is taking these already fantastic songs not to another level but to another planet. The best attempts are their take on Ministry's Scarecrow, Neil Young's Southern Man (btw you can listen to some awesome guitar solos here), Hรผsker Dรผ's The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill and Tom Petty's Runnin' Down The Dream. But also the rest is Ab Fab. The only exception is their terrible cover of Purple Rain. Highly recommended to anybody who is a fan of the originals and people into metal.


I wasn't too fond of it. The production was subpar and there were only a few clever moments.

I totally agree for the production on Purple Rain but not for the rest of the tracks.
  • Quote
Not an album, but Drakeo the Ruler - whose Cold Devil might be my favourite rap album of the past three or four years, even if I recall it performing particularly poorly in a previous tournament here - is finally out of jail, and his first song since (not including loosies or stuff he recorded through a phone) has arrived. The beat is a bit brighter and fuller than I expected, but everything else - the lack of intro; dismissive insults; hyper-specific gun threats; oddly endearing pop culture references; a whole lot of barely comprehensible yet inherently sinister mumbling - is straight out of the classic Drakeo playbook. His ability to ignore normal meter and lazily rap past the logical point of a beat whilst somehow remaining in the pocket recalls E-40 or Curren$y at times, but he's got a flow that's otherwise completely unique, even if you can hear traces of it in the work of young L.A. upstarts like Shoreline Mafia, Blueface, or the incredible BlueBucksClan. His is a fiercely regional style, immediately recognisable as Californian, but determinedly unreliant on well-worn West Coast tropes. He's also capable of putting together lines like this one: "This was back in my Gucci days, I turned to Jet Li and got blood on my Boosie fade", which is just a brilliantly evocative piece of writing. I'm kinda hoping that when BEA users dismissed him last time, it was because some of the nuances and intricacies of his performances just take some adjusting to, and that people will eventually take to him, because he's one of the best rappers alive and I can't wait to hear what he's got lined up next.


Link

_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
"I looked at my wrist two times and caught pneumonia."

"I just beat a n*gga with a Neiman Marcus store bag."

"The plug told me seventeen a piece, I started Paisa dancing."

"I'mma leave him dead in the street with his iPhone 7."

"When I left the coupe, all you saw was banana peels."

"Custom-made pieces, we don't ever touch the mannequins."

"Stop screaming out my name name, bitch, I don't know you."

"My shooters pulled up with them sticks like it was pro bono."

Coldest rapper out.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
A couple that I've been enjoying a lot lately that aren't in the database


Charles Curtis - Performances & Recordings 1998-2018


Judith Hamann - Music for Cello and Humming (interestingly a student of Curtis')
  • Quote
There are many valid reasons to completely ignore the existence of Kodak Black, but I do truly believe that's he's responsible for some of the best hip-hip of the past five or six years, and his new album Bill Israel is very much a return to form following a couple of largely disappointing efforts. He has one of the most distinctive voices in rap, he might be the best rapper working when it comes to finding wisdom in the most mundane of places (there's a reason known admirer Drake once described him as having a "birdseye view of life"), his flows are nimble and extremely catchy, and he absolutely floats over hazy, minimalist trap beats. He's a horrible human being, but as a songwriter he's a hopeless romantic and a wild boaster whose inspirations are equal parts Boosie and nursery rhymes. There are many valid reasons to ignore him, but Bill Israel is not one of them.


Link


(This might be my morning motivation tune for the next couple weeks.)
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
I don't know when I'll get around to it but Steve Roach has a new album out: Tomorrow. It's 80 minutes, but it's progressive electronic so that's no surprise.
_________________
Do it yourself and let me play my music: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=61802
  • Quote
I shit you not, we have a best-of-year list out already ๐Ÿงฑ
  • Quote
Anyway, sharing some recent 2020 findsโ€”


Petrichor by Heather Trost

What should be on the indie pop market.


Star Feminine Band by Star Feminine Band

Fun grooves.


Sira Kura by Faratuben

More fun grooves.


Silver Ladders by Mary Lattimore

Very pretty.


Inwards Opened The Floor. by Staraya Derevnya

That weird folk stuff.


Warna by Joey Alexander

35th-storey Tokyo hotel bar jazz played by a kid who can't get in.

All worth a spin.

Wasn't super hot on the new Angel Bat Dawid, Calyces, or Yeong Die, and the new Black Thought is kinda middle ground but still decent.


Last edited by Hayden on 11/12/2020 15:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
New Angel Bat Dawid live album? That's certainly worth a spin. I hope you're wrong about the quality of it Hayden ๐Ÿ˜œ
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
New Angel Bat Dawid live album? That's certainly worth a spin. I hope you're wrong about the quality of it Hayden :P


I'm mixed on it. I dove into it right away once I found out about it, I was fond of Angel Bat Dawid's release last year, but this one didn't strike the chord I figured it would. It gets kinda messy, the vocals are a smidge caterwaul, and the actual mix is poor (the band is shoved way too far in the background... it's not that it's raw, it just feels very unprofessionally recorded). Played it all the way through, but it felt like I was chained to a chair in a concert hall. It has its moments, but I couldn't help but feel it sounded like someone making fun of Nina Simone.

It's different, ish, but even for a live album it's quite messy, and borders annoying from time-to-time.

Once again, I have a free jazz chart, none of my comments are about the genre itself. Just wasn't feeling this one.

(Being said, the album cover is fantastic)

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 495051 ... 565758  Next
Page 50 of 58


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
2020 Albums JOSweetHeart Music
2020 albums rising more slowly on ove... hwex9000 Suggestions
2020's albums migl Suggestions
2020 Rank Scores PanheadWarrior Suggestions
BEA 2020/2021 Songs Tournament LedZep Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.