My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 107108109 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Two albums of 2002:

An album I already own:

Spinvis by Spinvis
The first album by this great Dutch DIY artist. The first four songs are the best. And the album rises from the 44th to the 20th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Lapalco by Brendan Benson
Great and infectuous powerpop/rock album and immediately lands at the 23rd rank.
  • Quote
And two albums of 2003:

An album I already own:

Sumday by Grandaddy
This classic Grandaddy with the quirky rhythms and that voice of Jason Lyttle which is constantly feeling like it's gonna break down. The one classic here is El Camino In the West but there are so many great tracks like Now It's On and Lost On Yer Merry Way and The Warming Sun. And so good it takes the first rank (from rank 6).

An album on my wishlist:

Rainy Day Music by The Jayhawks
Really a band I didn't really bother to listen to their albums, also because I thought their singles were not that great. But every album I'm listening to nowadays I like and I think I like this one the best and I think it has something to do with the absence of Mark Olsen. Somehow I like the harmonics better without his voice and both the music and the singing make me think a bit of Crowded House. And of course nearly all the tracks are just great and the album immediately lands at the 9th rank.
  • Quote
Two albums of 2004:

An album I already own:

All I Ever Wanted Was Tonight by Dear Leader
Aaron Perrino's former band, Sheila Divine is maybe better known but this album is as good as what Sheila Divine made with Raging Red as the best example. The two bands were mainly known in Belgium which is why Perino toured my country a lot of times. Some people will find this music a bit over the top but this hides some very good songwriting and the album goes from the 24th to the 17th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:
Blue Tomb by Comets On Fire
I liked Avatar better. This is a band which sounds a bit like Hawkwind with larger than life droning bluesy music but gets a bit boring after a while. Just good for my year chart and enters at 42.
  • Quote
Two albums of 2005:

First an album I already own:


Blinking Lights And Other Revelations by Eels
Just to remember how good Eels are at their best. Of course, it's a double album with an enormous amount of tracks and maybe too long and with some filler. But the majority of the tracks are amongst their best. And jumps from the 20th to the 18th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Oceans Apart by The Go-Betweens
What a good album The Go-Betweens released in their heyday. Full of catchy songs with nice touches of different instruments like sax aso. Good for the 17th rank.
  • Quote
These are two albums of 2006 I listened to:

An album I already own:

THX Jhn by Johan
If you're looking for infectuous power pop/rock, don't look any further. Any of their five albums will do and this one is as good as the others. If you like the first track you're in for a treat. If you don't: well ok. This album moves up from the 8th to the 6th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Gala Mill by The Drones
More americana than any American band. These ozzies know the trick and I especially liked I Looked Down The Line and I Wondered. Immediately goes to the 27th rank.
  • Quote
And 2007:

An album I already own:

Bad Football by The Takeovers
Another side project of Robert Pollard. Especially the closing track, My Will, is to be remembered. The rest is a mix between just good and goofy songs. But the album rises from the 60th to the 30th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

High by New Model Army
This album at first sight doesn't immediately appeal like the other ones: maybe a bit too polished, maybe a bit too few good tracks. I can't say it's a bad album though and still ok for the 20th rank of the year.
  • Quote
What a pleasure it is to listen to this mix of old and new and here is 2018:

With an album I already own:

Mountain Battles by The Breeders
An album that disappointed me so much I never listened to it again, so it was time I did. And I still stay with my conclusion, this is nothing like any of their other albums and Kim Deal just sounds tired and uninspired. There are some tracks here which keep up the old spirit like No Way and It's The Love but in general there are much better Breeders albums but on the other hand I can't be forced in not keeping an album of this cherished band in my year chart but only at the 38th rank (and it already has increased from the 50th rank).

And an album on my wishlist:

So, Who's Paranoid? by The Damned
Of course this doesn't sound anything like the punk band they used to be although some tracks like Nothing sound fairly punky. But in most instances this is just good melodic rock which is really well-written an performed. On some songs they it is a bit too much with the inclusion of choirs and cheesy instrumentation but on most tracks they just remain on the right side, except for Nature's Dark Passion where they really go over the top and they lose me as well.
And the best track is kept for the end: the very experimental and great, long and drony Dark Asteroid. The best reference (I haven't come to this conclusion myself, I read it somewhere but I totally agree) is Syd Barrett. And you know what: this album lands at the 5th rank of the year.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:

Mountain Battles by The Breeders
An album that disappointed me so much I never listened to it again, so it was time I did. And I still stay with my conclusion, this is nothing like any of their other albums and Kim Deal just sounds tired and uninspired.


I like it, but it's definitely my least favorite of their albums. How do you feel about All Nerve? It's been a couple years since I've listened to it, but I remember thinking that it was by far the best of their albums since reuniting.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Mountain Battles by The Breeders
An album that disappointed me so much I never listened to it again, so it was time I did. And I still stay with my conclusion, this is nothing like any of their other albums and Kim Deal just sounds tired and uninspired.


I like it, but it's definitely my least favorite of their albums. How do you feel about All Nerve? It's been a couple years since I've listened to it, but I remember thinking that it was by far the best of their albums since reuniting.

All Nerve is a good album, maybe not much more than that although there's no filler here, which is already a good thing. But those latter albums don't even to start to compare with their first two: Pod because of its fabulous DIY atmosphere with songs that sound unfinished but are total gems; and then Last Splash which feels like some great indie greatest hits album with Cannonball and Divine Hammer as absolute killers.
  • Quote
These are two album from 2009 I listened to:`
I'm looking forward to the New Lou Barlow to be released next friday so I already wanted an apรฉritif with one if his recent great albums I already own:

Goodnight Unknown by Lou Barlow
on which he sounds like his old DIY self although the album is better produced. On many tracks his accustic guitar is sufficient to give these a warm feeling although with a lot of love sickness everywhere. A very good album so I already listened to the first three tracks of the new album already available on Apple Music and in fact they just feel as a natural evolution from this 2009 album so I'm anxious to hear the rest of them. And btw, Goodnight Unknown rises from the 30th to the 11th rank of 2009.

And an album on my wishlist:

My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura
Maybe a bit too sugar-coated to be really good, but there are enough ok tracks here to include the album in my year chart at the 33rd rank.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 107108109 ... 193194195  Next
Page 108 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
Only 10 posts/albums per page? HigherThanTheSun Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.