Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 121122123 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Yep. Motorhead's consistency might be their greatest feature.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Yep. Motorhead's consistency might be their greatest feature.


yeah. I'm even digging March or Die lately! I especially LOVE their cover of Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever!" Nugent is sooo underrated (probably because of his politics) but Motorhead's cover shows how influential The Nuge was on the development of 80s Metal! It's completely Motorhead YET also a completely faithful cover at the same time.

This LP here is especially ESSENTIAL...


Ted Nugent by Ted Nugent
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
1983 was interesting for metal. Weโ€™re still picking things up and there are obviously important records here. Just for starters we have these things that have been talked to death:

Accept โ€“ Ball to the Wall
Dio โ€“ Holy Diver
Iron Maiden โ€“ Piece of Mind
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Metallica โ€“ Kill โ€˜Em All
Motley Crue โ€“ Shout at the Devil
Ozzy โ€“ Bark at the Moon
Quiet Riot โ€“ Metal Health
Slayer โ€“ Show No Mercy

Rightfully so, most of these records would make a Top Ten of โ€™83 for the genre for me [EDITORS NOTE: There's only nine], but Iโ€™m also a pretentious bitch so Iโ€™m going to talk about these instead:


Link



'83:6 The Cusp! aka Damn those Bra Clasps!


Court In The Act by Satan (UK)

Youโ€™re almost there. You're fumbling for those impossible back clasps of her bra while also trying to get your own undies down. You can just about taste the deliciousness down under. Youโ€™re right there. At the cusp. In heavy metal history, this moment would be 1983. When the NWOBHM was transitioning into the Thrash that was promised to us just a few years back with Diamond Head and Angel Witch. The dates were paid for. The wine was drunk. And now you were on the couch. Kisses were no longer kisses. They were now dank & heady & dripping with the promise of sweet release. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
>

Well no other album captures this metaphorical moment in metal history better than Satan's Court In The Act whose punny title gives you a hint of just how much their lead singer LOVES his Monty Python. Sure it's a bit clumsy and the songwriting is a tad embarrassing looking back, but damn, when you're at the nursing home many years hence this is the stuff that will have you laughing up nostalgia gems with the all the other geezers on the grass there next to ya.

The Verdict: K.K. Downing/Tipton(Priest). Murray/Smith(Maiden). Ramsey/Tippins (Satan). These are the three best twin guitars leads of the NWOBHM. And for that reason alone, Court In The Act is worthy of worship. The guitar interplay of Ramsey & Tippins is downright drool worthy. <. Thank God I still havenโ€™t manicured my beard since my last post about Robbo & Motorhead. It soaks up all the wetness just so!> While the song-writing takes it it down one notch from "Classic" status (a lot of this terrain was done better by Priest, Maiden, Diamond Head, Angel Witch & PLUS that very same year with Metallica's Kill 'Em All. Plus, the production is a mess. BUT, there's no way I cannot HIGHLY Recommend it. It's just one of those cusp records that perfectly captures 80s metal coming of age.

The Rating: ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
  • Quote

Detestation by G.I.S.M.

This bad boy should be here somewhere. Japanese hardcore mixed with some strange and honestly quite humorously out of place Randy Rhoades-esqu shredding. Some of the coolest and most ridiculous vocals ever. And itโ€™s just a badass mix of heavy metal and hardcore with that maniacal insane poorly recorded brilliance on top!

โ€”โ€”โ€”

Otherwise my choices are pretty predictable. Like Melissa a lot, like to love Kill Em All, like Show No Mercy (but needs a revisit), recently heard Satanic Rites by Hellhammer and it was cool.

Not a fan of the more straight forward (un-punky) metal of the year like Holy Diver. I do enjoy Pyromania quite a lot.

My top 10 as of now with little thought:

1. Kill โ€˜Em All - Metallica
2. Detestation - GISM
3. Melissa - Mercyful Fate
4. Piece of Mind - Iron Maiden
5. Satanic Rites - Hellhammer
6. Thunder and Lightning - Thin Lizzy
7. Show No Mercy - Slayer
8. Pyromania - Def Leppard
9. Heavy Metal Maniac - Exciter (vaguely remember thinking this was cool back in the day - itโ€™s been 15 years since Iโ€™ve heard it. Super cool speed metal iirc)
10. Metal Health - Quiet Riot (personal nostalgia connected with this. Like it also. But itโ€™s inclusion due to being 13 and borrowing from Library because I remember hearing Rhoades started with this band and wanted to check it out. Itโ€™s fun.)

I have major MAJOR blindspots still for this era of metal/hard rock. Probably not giving Holy Diver enough credit, but man I bounce right off most of that theatrical metal.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:

Detestation by G.I.S.M.

This bad boy should be here somewhere. Japanese hardcore mixed with some strange and honestly quite humorously out of place Randy Rhoades-esqu shredding. Some of the coolest and most ridiculous vocals ever. And itโ€™s just a badass mix of heavy metal and hardcore with that maniacal insane poorly recorded brilliance on top!



This rec was totally off my radar! I'll check it out soon (maybe even tonight) & let u know what u think!!!

Speaking of metal and hardcore in 1983, did u ever listen to this...


Dirty Rotten LP by D.R.I.

Despite my love for punk & metal, I just can't get into it! Does anyone have any thoughts on it?


Last edited by Repo on 06/23/2022 23:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:


Otherwise my choices are pretty predictable. Like Melissa a lot, like to love Kill Em All, like Show No Mercy (but needs a revisit), recently heard Satanic Rites by Hellhammer and it was cool.

Not a fan of the more straight forward (un-punky) metal of the year like Holy Diver. I do enjoy Pyromania quite a lot.

My top 10 as of now with little thought:

1. Kill โ€˜Em All - Metallica
2. Detestation - GISM
3. Melissa - Mercyful Fate
4. Piece of Mind - Iron Maiden
5. Satanic Rites - Hellhammer
6. Thunder and Lightning - Thin Lizzy
7. Show No Mercy - Slayer
8. Pyromania - Def Leppard
9. Heavy Metal Maniac - Exciter (vaguely remember thinking this was cool back in the day - itโ€™s been 15 years since Iโ€™ve heard it. Super cool speed metal iirc)
10. Metal Health - Quiet Riot (personal nostalgia connected with this. Like it also. But itโ€™s inclusion due to being 13 and borrowing from Library because I remember hearing Rhoades started with this band and wanted to check it out. Itโ€™s fun.)

I have major MAJOR blindspots still for this era of metal/hard rock. Probably not giving Holy Diver enough credit, but man I bounce right off most of that theatrical metal.


Merc, I also recommend u check out those Satan ,Oz, and Motorhead albums. All three are Great and NOT straight forward or theatrical. Both Satan & Oz aren't that far off from Kill 'Em All!!!

If I had to rec just one for you, it'd be...


Fire In The Brain by Oz

AND, yes, your memory is correct. That Exciter album rips!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Pretty close to making my top ten I think.

Besides GISM, I really need to check out that Thin Lizzy LP!

Satanic Rites, Show No Mercy, Pyromania, Piece Of Mind, Melissa, and Kill 'Em ALL will all easily make my Top Ten. As will Holy Diver! I may have to do a top fifteen or twenty though. Having a really hard time whittling my list down to ten with ...

* Another Perfect Day
* Heavy Metal Maniac
* Forged In Fire
* Court In The Act
* Crystal Logic
* Fire In The Brain
* Balls To The Wall
* The Law Of Devil's Land
* Friends of Hell

... all in serious contention for a spot.
  • Quote
Repo wrote:


This rec was totally off my radar! I'll check it out soon (maybe even tonight) & let u know what u think!!!

Speaking of metal and hardcore in 1983, did u ever listen to this...


Dirty Rotten LP by D.R.I.

Despite my love for punk & metal, I just can't get into it! Does anyone have any thoughts on it?


Glad I could give YOU a rec for once! Let me know your thoughts.

As for D.R.I., and that EP in particular, well I have heard some D.R.I. in my days but it was a loooong time ago. The fact I remember much more the work of Suicidal Tendencies and S.O.D. makes me think those 2 early hardcore/thrash crossover made more of an indelible mark on me.

I haven't heard that EP. But I recently made a list of 2,300 albums and releases that I most want to check out or relisten to and I just double checked and yes that classic EP is on there. Have no opinion as of now.

I do remember when I was like 13 years old, when I first made the connection between Hardcore punk and Thrash, it blew my mind and brought me great joy. Before seeing that Slayer cover album and recognizing many of the songs and then doing some "research" and finally learning that Hardcore and Thrash are intimately connected, I really had no idea - I just knew that both genres and scenes made me FEEL similarly joyous and hyped. I was listening to Minor Threat and Slayer in isolation. Adoring both when sudeenly I connected the dots and was again blown away. I think that may have been one of the earliest music nerd moments for me.

All that is to say when I started hearing about this genre called "Crossover Thrash" I was mightily intrigued. None of it QUITE matched up with the best of Thrash or Hardcore (there are no Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" or "Reign In Blood" or "Bad Brains" debut, or "Bonded By Blood" level classics that I know of.) but it was still a fertile genre.


โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”


Repo wrote:


Merc, I also recommend u check out those Satan ,Oz, and Motorhead albums. All three are Great and NOT straight forward or theatrical. Both Satan & Oz aren't that far off from Kill 'Em All!!!

If I had to rec just one for you, it'd be...


Fire In The Brain by Oz

AND, yes, your memory is correct. That Exciter album rips!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Pretty close to making my top ten I think.

Besides GISM, I really need to check out that Thin Lizzy LP!

Satanic Rites, Show No Mercy, Pyromania, Piece Of Mind, Melissa, and Kill 'Em ALL will all easily make my Top Ten. As will Holy Diver! I may have to do a top fifteen or twenty though. Having a really hard time whittling my list down to ten with ...

* Another Perfect Day
* Heavy Metal Maniac
* Forged In Fire
* Court In The Act
* Crystal Logic
* Fire In The Brain
* Balls To The Wall
* The Law Of Devil's Land
* Friends of Hell

... all in serious contention for a spot.


Awesome thanks for the recommendations, my friend! Iโ€™ve added the ones not already there to my massive queue spreadsheet and toward the top.

And I have to say that while I am not getting ahead of myself nor casting shade on 1983, the fact that we are getting close to those years that I adore almost as much as you (1986, 1989, 1988 etc) is making me excited.

1983 was a major year when shit started to REALLY shift. I bet if you were paying attention to the underground metal scene at the time you could feel some major shifts. Not sure you woulda guessed how it fucking wild and extreme and creative metal would get over the next 4 years. But it maybe was like that voice-over at the beginning of Lord of the Rings:

โ€œThe world is changed.

I feel it in the water.

I feel it in the earth.

I smell it in the air.โ€
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:


Detestation by G.I.S.M.
Glad I could give YOU a rec for once! Let me know your thoughts.


OMG!!! Sooooo Good! LOVING IT!!! It's like proto-Noise Rock, and I would file it closer to stuff like Flipper, Chrome and the almighty Black Flag.

Mercury wrote:
As for D.R.I., and that EP in particular, well I have heard some D.R.I. in my days but it was a loooong time ago. The fact I remember much more the work of Suicidal Tendencies and S.O.D. makes me think those 2 early hardcore/thrash crossover made more of an indelible mark on me.

I haven't heard that EP. But I recently made a list of 2,300 albums and releases that I most want to check out or relisten to and I just double checked and yes that classic EP is on there. Have no opinion as of now.


I think it just clicked. It really took just one song in particular for me to see the light...


Link


Mercury wrote:

I do remember when I was like 13 years old, when I first made the connection between Hardcore punk and Thrash, it blew my mind and brought me great joy. Before seeing that Slayer cover album and recognizing many of the songs and then doing some "research" and finally learning that Hardcore and Thrash are intimately connected, I really had no idea - I just knew that both genres and scenes made me FEEL similarly joyous and hyped. I was listening to Minor Threat and Slayer in isolation. Adoring both when sudeenly I connected the dots and was again blown away. I think that may have been one of the earliest music nerd moments for me.

All that is to say when I started hearing about this genre called "Crossover Thrash" I was mightily intrigued. None of it QUITE matched up with the best of Thrash or Hardcore (there are no Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" or "Reign In Blood" or "Bad Brains" debut, or "Bonded By Blood" level classics that I know of.) but it was still a fertile genre.


Totally! I think the next step is to circle BACK and cover more P*U*N*K. I left off in 1977, but considering this is the FORTIETH ๐Ÿงฑ
> anniversary of such albums as Fear's The Record, The Misfits' Walk Among Us , & Bad Brains' s/t, we just have to cover 1982 Punk next. PLUS, I'm actually seeing both Fear and The Misfits at Riot Fest in a couple of months!!! So that will be a great way to get pumped up for that!

Mercury wrote:

1983 was a major year when shit started to REALLY shift. I bet if you were paying attention to the underground metal scene at the time you could feel some major shifts. Not sure you woulda guessed how it fucking wild and extreme and creative metal would get over the next 4 years. But it maybe was like that voice-over at the beginning of Lord of the Rings:
his is the his
โ€œThe world is changed.

I feel it in the water.

I feel it in the earth.

I smell it in the air.โ€


Ha! Totally!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Will be fun to delve into over the next couple of years! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
  • Quote

Album - Generic Flipper by Flipper

this is one of those albums that is so singularly brilliant that I cry tears of happiness every time I hear it!

#nihilismatitsbest
  • Quote

Link


Tell me this song does not resonate with these times EVEN MORE than back in 1982.

I think Hardcore punk is best appreciated in the 7" format. Short blasts of pure catharsis, and then a breather, a chance for all those neurotransmitters to replenish, as you flip it over.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 121122123 ... 174175176  Next
Page 122 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
beach boys ffudnebbuh Music
[ Poll ] The Shins and The Beach Boys RoundTheBend Music
The Beach Boys & The Grateful Dea... mickilennial Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.