My discoveries per year
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1621
- Posted: 12/03/2024 20:42
- Post subject: Round 15: 2013
|
Two albums of 2013 I listened to:
First an album I already know/own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
For me a completely average Nick Cave album with only exception being Jubilee Street. It goes from the 48th to the 58th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Hope In Hell by Anvil (CA)
Anvil remains Anvil but this is clearly not their best as nothing really jumps out. Except maybe for Shut The Fuck Up which has stupid lyrics but is infectuous as hell. So a fairly average Anvil album but still with that Anvil signature I quite like so enters at the 57th rank.
|
|
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1622
- Posted: 12/04/2024 21:10
- Post subject: Round 15: 2014
|
Awaiting the 42nd regular album by Guided By Voices, I have listened to their 21st and 22nd album both of 2014:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Motivational Jumpsuit by Guided By Voices
20 tracks on 38 minutes and of course this album consists of some leftovers as always on GBV albums but without having any real standouts, both the tracks by Robert Pollard as by Tobin Sprout are worthwile so again a good album which moves up from the 19 to the 15th rank of 2014.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Cool Planet by Guided By Voices
One of the few GBV albums I didn't know yet. 18 tracks on 37 minutes and of course this album consists of some leftovers as always on GBV albums but without having any real standouts, both the tracks by Robert Pollard as by Tobin Sprout are worthwile so again a good album which enters my 2014 year chart at the 25th rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1623
- Posted: 12/08/2024 21:03
- Post subject: Round 15: 2015
|
Two albums of 2015 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Sol Invictus by Faith No More
An album way behind their original top albums and it's clear that it can stand next to their best and it's clear they haven't lost it; Superhero and Cone Of Shame are the highlights and it moves from the 48th to the 50th rank on my 2015 year chart.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Jekyll Island by Surf City
I liked this album more than I thought I would and is a good mix between sunny pop melodies and indie rawness. It enters my 2015 year chart at the 43rd rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1624
- Posted: 12/08/2024 21:17
- Post subject: Round 15: 2016
|
and these are two albums of 2016 I listened to and to album of which subtlety is in their middle name:
First an album I already know/own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Here by Teenage Fanclub
They surely still know how to write a song. Maybe they have lost a bit of their sharpness of their earlier albums but they still have their place in the musical landscape with this album. The First Sight is the higlight and the album goes from the 30th to the 28th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Ambulance by The Amazing
A very good and indeed subtle album from this Swedish band. The album enters my 2016 top chart at the 40th rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1625
- Posted: 12/10/2024 21:15
- Post subject: Round 15: 2017
|
Two albums of 2017:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
The World's Best American Band by White Reaper
Fairly basic rock but nevertheless fairly infectious. Not the best album in the world but still moves from 60th to the 58th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Expect The Best by Widowspeak
Sensitive and heavy, shoegaze and rock, beautiful singing, in short a great album with Let Me as the best track and the album enters my 2017 year chart at the 43rd rank.
|
|
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1626
- Posted: 12/13/2024 20:06
- Post subject: Round 15: 2018
|
Two albums of 2018 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Freedom's Goblin by Ty Segall & Freedom Band
This was an album which appeared in my overall top 100 party due to the fact that the album features 19 tracks and I didn't take the weaker tracks (and there are many) into account for my scoring. And, although I still think the album contains some very good tracks (of which the long closer And, Good Night is the best example) I don't think it's a masterpiece anymore, in which it's variety of different styles is both a bonus as a weak part. So still high in my year chart but it moves down from the 4th to the 7th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Hated: 2008-2011 by The Men
The first regular album by The Men, one of my favorite contemporary bands, dates from 2011 and this is an album of first EP's and other leftovers of the beginning of their career. Most of the tracks are fairly hardcore (although there is a sitar song and a bit of country) but the main obstacle to really love this album is the really bad sound quality. But their roots were certainly clear: this was more than just punk hardcore although that doesn't mean that they lack ferocity like Think proves. Other real good tracks are Ailment and Digital Age. But the sound quality causes this album to be ranked not very high on my year chart. This is one of those years where I have more than a 100 albums in my chart so this doesn't make it to that top 100.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1627
- Posted: 12/15/2024 21:10
- Post subject: Round 15: 2019
|
Two albums of 2019 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Sunshine Rock by Bob Mould
Bob Mould remains one of my favorite artists and this is another good old-fashioned punkrock album of the master with a few of his best songs in the last years not in the least the fantastic Shocking Blue cover Send Me A Postcard. The album moves up from the 7th to the 6th rank.
An album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Football Money by Kiwi Jr.
A more sunny version of Pavement or should we say Pavement light. The genious of the Pavement this ain't but it's a fairly good bunch of songs of this Canadian band. Good for the 81st rank of the year.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1628
- Posted: 12/18/2024 20:30
- Post subject: Round 15: 2020
|
And two albums from 2020:
An album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Keeping Up Appearances by Basic Plumbing
A bit a mixture of indie in the style of Pavement and sunny rock songs and I quite like it. The album moves up from the 18th to the 9th rank in my 2020 year chart.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Getting Into Knives by The Mountain Goats
The Mountain Goats are a bad I fairly like: good well delivered albums and songs and in many the use of some interesting instrumentation; and I quite like their newest albums and in a way also this one but I really miss something, maybe a spark. I only hear that spark on Rat Queen. Also because this album would not make it to my top 100 of the year, I have chosen not to include it in my year chart.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1629
- Posted: 12/20/2024 21:09
- Post subject: Round 15: 2021
|
Two albums of 2021 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Catspaw by Matthew Sweet
I admit the music and the albums of Matthew Sweet can be a bit formulaic but on this album he exceeds my expectations. The songs sound very crispy and the guitars chime like the best. And some of the songs like Stars Explode, No Surprise and Coming Soon really jump out. A good reason to upgrade this album from the 33rd to the 16th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
A Beautiful Life by Heartless Bastards
This is normally the music I love but some of the tracks on this album were actually good like Revolution, When I Was Younger and Photograph. So just good enough to be me in my year chart but unfortunately at the 101st rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1630
- Posted: 12/22/2024 21:01
- Post subject: Round 15: 2022
|
Two albums of 2022 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
The Boy Named If by Elvis Costello & The Imposters
I like it when Elvis is his own big self as on : a mixture between soft and streetwise songs. I like him less when he plays it a bit more bombastic. This album is a mixture of the two and that 's why I degrading from the 31st to the 77th rank, but still a good one.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
They Only Wanted Your Soul by The Reds, Pinks And Purples
I already had an album from this band in my 2022 year chart and this is another one. Not a really regular album because this is in fact a compilation from an older EP I Should have Helped You from 2020 and some other tracks from that period. But it just sums up what this band is about, sad but catchy songs as Allmusic sums it all up. They shouldn't release albums of much more than 30 minutes long because after a while their sound is fairly samey, but if they stick to that length they're wonderful and so is this album which is good enough for the 43rd rank of the year, even just before Summer At Land's End.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
New topic Post reply
|
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
|
| Page 163 of 195 |
|
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
|
|
| |