Jackwc posted the original topic but it is locked and buried nowadays. Whilst I haven't participated in some time I decided to give it another swing this year. I know we don't have many [fiction] writers here, at least I don't think we do, but I thought it'd be a good notion for discussion in general. I've never actually completed the challenge/contest before so here I am hoping this year will be a better one for it plus it is a good area to get my thoughts on to figurative paper and actually get my creative narrative juices flowing.
not a chance in hell I'll actually have time for this but I love the idea and in a perfect world I would totally participate. Would love to see what some of you could come up with. A BEA collaborative novel would be amazing but it would devolve into nothing but obscure musical references and memes by chapter 3
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
Collaboration requires authors being able to be on the same page and communicate so much that I know that's a project I'd never want to see happen. Also, yeah, it'd end up into a big old joke quite quickly. If you are interested I can get the bulk of an old attempt or two (since I'm five days behind on this years Nano) in the meantime.
ive never done it before, but some of my cousins are religious about doing it each year and always seem to get it done, but i cant comment to the quality of their writing. (i remember one in particular, altho this was when he was much younger, got to the word count by having one character frequently recite the periodic table)
i used to be into writing "novels" when i was in middle and early high school, but lately i find that im only really interested in writing short fiction, from a paragraph to like a dozen or so pages. most of it is just stream of consciousness stuff not fit for consumption by anyone, but sometimes i feel inspired enough to focus up (altho i still try to channel the SOC energy -- just in a more directed/cohesive way)
My 2012 novel was basically inspired by Futility: or the Wreck of the Titan, Seikai: Crest of the Stars, and A Game of Thrones. I'll dig around in my external to see what I can find. But yeah, basically Crisis was:
Set in the distant future, a exploration ship titled the Eden soon finds itself and it's passengers in a field of conflicts in the unexplored reaches of space. Working to survive in the alien and dangerous reaches of the galaxy will prove a challenge to the inhabitants of the Eden as time unfolds.
Actually that synopsis tells you nothing about it. Basically it was a space pulp character-driven piece about the suffocation of space and the stories of various people on the starship EDEN as internal and outward problems began to take shape. Basically it was Space Titanic but there was no Space Iceberg quite yet. The Game of Thrones influence was in the way perspectives were written and I forget all of the POVs. I never got past like 10,000 words because of "life". I might just have to re-write it if I cannot find the files.
Ah, if it weren't in English... Presently working on something I'm compelled to write, would love to finally make something worthwhile out of it, as I feel I really need to do it. Time is not on my side though - and the language this competition is about isn't either, although, come to think of it, it might help things a bit....
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
Can I participate if Iโm not American? Can I write a novel in any language?
Definitely! Weโre an international nonprofit with participants around the world.
Youโre welcome to write in whichever language youโre most comfortable with. Unfortunately, our word-count validator doesnโt read non-Latin characters properly, so we encourage you to generate an estimated word count using a random-text generator.
There isn't a rule against writing in non-English, though?
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum