Just to make it clear what I'm referring to, I'm talking about guitar players that are self-taught and have little or no knowledge of things like being able to read music (i.e. Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, etc.)
Or do you prefer players that are musically trained (i.e. Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, etc.)
Both are great, but often those who don't have lessons are much more tuned naturally to what sounds good, whereas those with lessons go based heavily on what should mathematically work, which can come across as a little too perfect at times, or too robotic. They tend to overcomplicate things a little as well.
JasonconfusedIf We Make It We Can All Sit Back and LaughProfile California
Both are great, but often those who don't have lessons are much more tuned naturally to what sounds good, whereas those with lessons go based heavily on what should mathematically work, which can come across as a little too perfect at times, or too robotic. They tend to overcomplicate things a little as well.
Good point you make. I think some of those heavily trained people eventually figure it out though. I saw a Frank Zappa documentary where he says that he started writing music but actually writing it all out first and then playing it. He said it all looked good on paper but then when he played it it sounded like crap so he had to alter his strategy. I also enjoy both styles very much though.
Dunno. If something sounds good, then it does. Actually, Van Halen is one of my most hated bands, but the guitar work is fast and what not, but it just doesn't do it for me. Neither does Jimi Hendrix, but I tend to like his music.
Both are great, but often those who don't have lessons are much more tuned naturally to what sounds good, whereas those with lessons go based heavily on what should mathematically work, which can come across as a little too perfect at times, or too robotic. They tend to overcomplicate things a little as well.
on the other hand someone without musical training may be more likely to fall into obvious cliches of "what sounds good" without realizing it....or be limited because minimal knowledge prevents them from transcending simple structures. Someone with a deep understanding of how music works might know better how to create varying chord progressions, longer melodic development ect.
just trying to show the other side.
It really shouldn't matter, as long what one knows is conducive to some creativity or uniqueness. I doubt a punk musician could have written what Zappa has, and I doubt some schooled jazz guitarist could do what some crazy noise/psychedelic musicians have.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum