... you know how everyone likes these different music albums from each other? For some reason they decide what is the greatest album or their favorite. Is it to do with brain chemicals or personal experience? Depends on much factors than I care to think about right now.
However... let us say everyone chooses their albums the same deep down. You know, the enjoyment coming from the person they really are beneath the skull. Everyone who cares about music and the latest developments in the music world will enjoy their favorite more than their 2nd favorite, enjoy that more than 3rd favorite etc, etc, even if they believe the enjoyment is equal amongst other favorites.
Well... if everyone get enjoyment some way or another from an album, that must mean there WILL be an album which gives most people the most enjoyment. If 'enjoyment' could be measured it would follow that their is an album which gives objectively the most enjoyment out there.
That must make it objectively the best album out there. ๐ฒ And if there is a number one.... there must be a number two, number three, number four right the way down to the worst album. That must mean the whole list is objective, only changing when people are born or they die. Unless you counted everyone ever... then their is a never changing objective album of all time.
Therefore, this post proves music is objective. ๐
There's definitely some validity to this claim (scientists have actually shown that people, even those describing themselves as metalheads, get enjoyment from pop music, especially when they are able to predict what's coming next in the music). Granted, you have to define what "good" means in music, and it would be very complicated, of course, but yeah.
The other tricky part is music that "grows" and music that gets worse. At what number of listens would an albums "goodness" be measured? Tough questions.
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
How would you define enjoyment? And enjoyment can also change under different circumstances. I might enjoy Of Montreal more when I'm feeling happy than Joy Division, but Joy Division fills me with necessary emotion when I'm depressed _________________ http://jonnyleather.com
How would you define enjoyment? And enjoyment can also change under different circumstances. I might enjoy Of Montreal more when I'm feeling happy than Joy Division, but Joy Division fills me with necessary emotion when I'm depressed
Ahhhh... what if emotions are objective too? ๐ Then you can create a list for them too!
But seriously... what say throws a spanner in the works. I was so dizzy when writing this I was thinking in terms of what makes people happy and would want them personally to get up and sing.
Then again... what if the first sentance I wrote in this post has credence? If music has suddenly become 'objective' then what else can objective be thrown at? And if you throw it at everything and it some how sticks, then the theory might stand? How far does the rabbit hole go?
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Ahhhh... what if emotions are objective too? ๐ Then you can create a list for them too!
But seriously... what say throws a spanner in the works. I was so dizzy when writing this I was thinking in terms of what makes people happy and would want them personally to get up and sing.
Then again... what if the first sentance I wrote in this post has credence? If music has suddenly become 'objective' then what else can objective be thrown at? And if you throw it at everything and it some how sticks, then the theory might stand? How far does the rabbit hole go?
What if an album makes you happy because you know that liking it will make you seem cool to others? _________________ http://jonnyleather.com
What if an album makes you happy because you know that liking it will make you seem cool to others?
Then the listener becomes a hipster. ๐คฃ I don't know really, what would 'liking it' to be 'cool to others' be in this complicated equation? Could it just be thrown in with what one makes one happy?
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Then the listener becomes a hipster. ๐คฃ I don't know really, what would 'liking it' to be 'cool to others' be in this complicated equation? Could it just be thrown in with what one makes one happy?
As far as brain chemistry is concerned, as human beings, we all have ears, and the mechanism for hearing is probably similar from person to person. IF we could figure out what makes music pleasing, electrochemically, we could come up with a sound that would be, in theory, the most pleasing to the most people. It would be the objectively best album.
However, there is too much personal experience involved. I like album X because it reminds me of happy days when I was Y; I don't like album Z because it reminds me of person Q who broke up with me, and so on.
So, we're back to the sum total of everybody's favorites, which is what this site is all about. I think it's a fairly objective measure of subjective opinions, which may be the best we can hope for.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum