Made mistakes and I need a lot of advice

View previous topic :: View next topic
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 02/10/2024 16:42
  • Post subject: Made mistakes and I need a lot of advice
Background: I was listening to The Doors debut for the millionth time on vinyl and when it got to the solo in "Light My Fire," I could barely hear it. It was almost inaudible, like the needle for some reason could read everything except that one particular guitar layer. I've had this problem before, during Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers - the guitars in Can't You Hear Me Knockin are just not there. I thought it was a flaw in that specific repress, so I told myself I'd just put the record to the side for now and replace it next time it was repressed. Now I'm thinking it's my record player causing the problem b/c I swear I never had this problem with The Doors' self-titled.

My solution: ...replace my $600 turntable with a $2500 ProJect X8, like someone who can actually afford that. I just got my taxes back, so I said, screw it, splash. I prob would have been a lot better off just replacing the stylus with an Ortofon Black, but ofc it's too late and I was afraid that wouldn't be enough to fix the problem. Maybe the table is just getting too old? I don't know, so if I'm going to spend a bunch of money I might as well go for broke (genius, absolutely genius, I know). The new turntable didn't get here yet so I can't listen to the record and confirm that it's the player yet, but that player is going to need a better set of speakers and preamp to get the most out of it. (Yeah, I know, I'm "fixing" a mistake by making 2 more big mistakes, w/e).

So pretend I'm rich and please give me speaker and preamp recommendations that would go well with this turntable. I'll just save for 6 months or however long it takes and get what I need.

I also have a dumber problem: That turntable comes with a Moonstone Sumiko. I do plan to replace it b/c why have a high end turntable without a stylus to match? I'm thinking the Sumiko Amethyst would at least be compatible with the table since it's the same brand, but I'm definitely open to suggestions if I'm on the wrong track there. I tried looking for the Budgie preamp but they don't seem to be in stock right now.

Aside from the speaker, preamp, and stylus recs, I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with the problem that started this downward spiral (damn, I still need that record too...) - certain layers disappearing from records. What causes this? Have you ever heard of such a thing happening? Please, please tell me I don't simply have to clean the record or I'll shoot myself. I bought the record brand new, that shouldn't be the problem, it certainly appears clean at least. This thought just came to me though....
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2024 05:04
  • Post subject: Re: Made mistakes and I need a lot of advice
jackbrown8786 wrote:
Aside from the speaker, preamp, and stylus recs, I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with the problem that started this downward spiral (damn, I still need that record too...) - certain layers disappearing from records. What causes this? Have you ever heard of such a thing happening? Please, please tell me I don't simply have to clean the record or I'll shoot myself. I bought the record brand new, that shouldn't be the problem, it certainly appears clean at least. This thought just came to me though....

You probably won't like hearing this, but it sounds to me like just bad wiring, or maybe even a low-voltage short — most likely within the TT itself, or if your ground is plugged into the back of the pre-amp or receiver, it could even be something as simple as a bad ground connection. Don't take my word for it, though, and maybe you're already checked this, and you probably use audiophile-grade cables, etc., but it's probably not your stylus unless you just never clean it or something.

If I'm right though, sometimes in these situations you can just keep replacing and swapping existing wires until you figure it out. It's a hassle but costs less than new components. You should also have a (relatively cheap) backup TT to swap into the system — that way you can hopefully either isolate it to the TT and/or the record itself, or (better yet) eliminate one or both of those as the problem. (I use all Bang & Olufsen stuff myself, so I'm probably useless for purchase recommendations.)

Good luck (other) Jack! This post will self-destruct in five seconds.
  • Visit poster's website