Best Year in Movies- Rules and Stuff

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Saoirse

• Posted: 11/08/2013 09:20
  • Post subject: Best Year in Movies- Rules and Stuff
allright I guess Ill take the plunge and see if this takes off. Anyways this is just to set the rules in stone by getting feedback from those willing to participate. As I mentioned before the only rule I already have is that your movie is eligible if it's listed on IMDB as being from that year (ie if you have, I donno, 2002 and wanna use Lilya 4-ever, it needs to say 2002 by the title on it's main page). That's the only way to have a set-in-stone method to verifying a movie's year, so Im sticking to it to avoid having a drawn-out argument. So there. So I highly suggest you look up your desired year on IMDB and go through all the films and make sure it's one you really want to do/have seen enough films/or are willing to see more films from before you nominate

The biggest question is deciding to do a knockout or a playoff structure, where in the latter people would present multiple teams against specific years in their bracket. If the latter is chosen then it's about how big the teams are (it will probably be smaller than the album tourney as movie-watching is often a bigger time investment). I think along with highlighting specific films as a wholeI want the captain to choose another film, but not present it as a whole, but rather focus on one particular aspect you found particularly special, be it the camerawork, a particular performance or ensemble performances, the set direction, etc, to help complement each team. the catch being is that if you use something from that film, the whole film can't be used in another match at least for the first round. Ill see how that goes. Basically you will probably need at least 8 or 9 films, possibly more, to compete, so make sure it's from a year you know well enough to be ready.

And Im likely going to have the teams sent to me by PM so they can be posted right away when the match is put up, so Ill need a co game-runner for any brackets/matches Im involved in.

Anyways more feedback is craved dahlings, especially for the size of teams and the structure. I want this to work

Rules
- Year eligibility is based on what IMDB lists as the movie's release. No if, ands or butts.
- Each team presented will be two or three films in size, as well as adding an "MVP" selection to complement each team, which can be any particular aspect from a specific film, be it the cinematography, screenplay, a particular performance or set direction, etc. However, using something as an MVP, you can't use that film as a whole for the first round in any other matches.
- Vote based on the teams, not the year in general.
- Teams will have a captain and co-captain
- All teams will be pm'd

Last edited by Saoirse on 11/08/2013 20:56; edited 1 time in total
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 11/08/2013 11:38
  • Post subject:
Ideas
-List of 10 movies per year (4 used in each matchup)
-MVP = Most Valued Person - a director, actor, cinematographer who showed brilliance.
-Playoff might be better but requires more time?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/08/2013 11:45
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Ideas
-List of 10 movies per year (4 used in each matchup)
-MVP = Most Valued Person - a director, actor, cinematographer who showed brilliance.
-Playoff might be better but requires more time?

Personally I think 3 per matchup would be better, seeing as there is a large possibility people will be having to find time to watch as many as six new films just to vote on one matchup. I'm interested to hear more about the MVP idea though, that sounds interesting.

• Posted: 11/08/2013 13:26
  • Post subject:
I think it should be valid for a person to vote positively for a year based on a movie they've seen from that year which is not represented in the actual team but they like.

• Posted: 11/08/2013 13:27
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
I think it should be valid for a person to vote positively for a year based on a movie they've seen from that year which is not represented in the actual team but they like.

I totally disagree. I think the team element is what makes tournaments like this so fun and inclusive.

EDIT: Just to expand a little on what I mean, if we were to just vote based on certain films we like from the years involved, there is no need for teams at all. We'd just have a matchup, and people could just look at a list of films from those years (on IMDB or whatever) and then decide which they prefer, totally negating the need for the team element, which in my view is the most interesting element of all. If we were to just vote based on all movies released that year, then it isn't a tournament that excites me or that I want to be involved in.

• Posted: 11/08/2013 13:58
  • Post subject:
Having a team and three movies for every year has its disadvantages too. I think with this method people will just try to win with movies that are already known to most people and it'll make it a very limited experience. I think positive voting should not be limited, at least people other than the captains should be able to promote the year in question with their own movies. It's not like looking up the movies for a year in IMDB and voting based on that. In what I'm suggesting, human contribution is the key, in the form of users being able to add their own perspectives. People still would have to vote based on the movies mentioned in the match thread.

• Posted: 11/08/2013 14:16
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Having a team and three movies for every year has its disadvantages too. I think with this method people will just try to win with movies that are already known to most people and it'll make it a very limited experience. I think positive voting should not be limited, at least people other than the captains should be able to promote the year in question with their own movies. It's not like looking up the movies for a year in IMDB and voting based on that. In what I'm suggesting, human contribution is the key, in the form of users being able to add their own perspectives. People still would have to vote based on the movies mentioned in the match thread.

I just think this would be too difficult to implement successfully. What's to stop people from adding ten new movies to a match list? Perhaps the best idea is to have co-captains, like the Best Year in Music tournament, which adds a second perspective. The best way to fight against having people just use the most well-known movies available is to limit how often people can use certain films, so that we don't have the same things cropping up over and over again, and that more obscure movies are given a chance. But I don't see any way in which your suggestion could work.
karbutt

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2013 14:25
  • Post subject:
Wolfman beats all other movies, fite me

• Posted: 11/08/2013 14:36
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I just think this would be too difficult to implement successfully. What's to stop people from adding ten new movies to a match list? Perhaps the best idea is to have co-captains, like the Best Year in Music tournament, which adds a second perspective. The best way to fight against having people just use the most well-known movies available is to limit how often people can use certain films, so that we don't have the same things cropping up over and over again, and that more obscure movies are given a chance. But I don't see any way in which your suggestion could work.

That'll do it. I thought it's not gonna be like the Best Year in Music tournament and every team will go on with the same squad. I think each team can have two parts though: main movies and extra ones and have two movies in each so people don't have to watch four films to vote (they can just vote based on the main movies) but they can if they like.
Saoirse

• Posted: 11/08/2013 20:48
  • Post subject:
Yeah my idea was to have teams that each captain would present for a different match, and we would vote based on those selections. Probably would limit it to two or three films as obviously a film is a much bigger time investement, and yeah t he MVP idea I was definitely thinking of something similar, and I think along with selecting whole films you select something specific from another film, ie the cinematography, screenplay, performance or a particular ensemble, set direction etc that you think was really stellar, the catch being you can't use that film again for that round. Basically Im just trying to decide between the size of the teams

If we do end up doing knockout it probably would be captains choosing a lot more films for each matchup and then it would be kind of a vote in general of what you've heard, but that would be a lot less involved. Ill see what happens with the nominations process