Best Year in Movies- Rules and Stuff

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/08/2013 21:00
  • Post subject:
-I think we should have teams, and I think we should do the group stages. I think the point of these tourneys (besides being fun) is to discover new things, and that won't happen if we just have an ordinary year vs year poll.
-3 per match sounds good. But, if we end up doing group stages, we could allow re-using the movies in the elimination stages, meaning that we could allow more than that at that stage. But maybe have a rule that there always has to be one movie that was not used yet? For the finals I guess ditch the teams completely, and just let the captains promote as they wish.
-I like the MVP idea. It takes more effort from the captains though. For that reason I guess co-captains could be necessary.

I guess I'm not offering anything new here...
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 11/14/2013 23:16
  • Post subject:
Allright I think this needs an update

Rules

- Again, can't stress this enough, a film's official release date for this tourney is going by whatever IMDB lists as it's official year of release, eg next to Platoon it has (1986), that's it year. Otherwise there would be too much arguing over what's the proper release date. So look up your year on IMDB and make sure that it has all the films you want to use before nominations are closed.

- We are going to be doing a playoff structure, with multiple matchups in the first round, so make sure your year has enough films to be competitive. Im still deciding between two and three film teams, as well as the aforementioned MVP to be tacked on at the end, as two might seem like it's narrowing down your choices too much but 12 films x 40 or so years plus the MVP highlight might be a total overload. That ill leave up to a vote.

- All teams will be pm'd to make each matchup easy to navigate and not have any long waits for the captains to post their teams. When I start asking for teams (which won't be for a bit), you can either send all the teams for each year they're up against, or one at a time before each matchup. For the former, any changes you wanna make during the tournament you have to specify clearly in a pm (what you're swapping in and what you're taking out, etc.). I will be asking for a co game-runner for the two brackets Ill be involved in, while I have someone in mind it's not set in stone so I may ask for a volunteer soon.

- There will likely be eight brackets of five teams, same as the Best Year in Music tournament, so each year should be expected to see at least four matchups in the first round. 16 teams will advance to the next round. How many points are awarded for each match victory or draw and how tie-breakers will be decided is still being decided

- The MVP or whatever it ends up being named as is to highlight something specific from a film, and it can be anything, from a particular performance or ensemble, a screenplay, the work of a crew member, or even just one particular scene, really it can be anything up to the creative mind of the captain. The catch is that it can't be from a film you use as a whole. Whatever film or films it's based off of you can't re-use the rest of the film at least for the particular round.

- All films that can be used have to be it's original release. No re-issues, director's cuts, long awaited foreign releases or posthumous mended cuts. So sorry Blade Runner wouldn't be eligible for 1992, Apocalypse Now Redux for 2001, Touch of Evil for 1998 or Bob le Flambeur for 1982.

- Remember we're voting for the teams, not the year as a whole, in each matchup. We'll get the larger picture once we see more films being presented. Given it's going to be hard to expect each participating voter to have watched every single film put forth, but still it's a team-based tourney so hopefully it will all work (also hopefully people won't be discouraged from using lesser known gems as well)

Just to give an idea of what a matchup may look like here's an example team

Risky Buisness

A Christmas Story

Videodrome (maybe a third)

MVP: Caleb Deschanel- Cinematography- The Right Stuff

obviously you can add a youtube clip or image or link in your post if you choose

Allright so some things are still up in the air but hopefully this gives an idea of how the tournament is going to be structured. Again, come forth with any ideas that you believe could help improve this tournament and they will definitely be considered. Participation is really the key here so I definitely want to see the captains and voters get involved with all aspects of the tournament. I guess, just keep watching the movies!
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 06:43
  • Post subject:
I can't take another, but really, no 2008 yet? Dark Knight, WALL-E, Dr Horrible, Hancock, Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, Pineapple Express, Gran Torino, Taken, The Wrestler, Frost/Nixon, and The Hurt Locker. Quite the year. Surprised at that gap.

Oh well. Excited for this to start. My actual point in coming here was to ask if you had a thought on how large the bracket will be yet. Sorry, I got off topic before I even started.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 15:07
  • Post subject:
I think this structure sounds good. and I'm kinda digging the whole MVP thing. It allows for specific credit to be given to a particular movie that may otherwise not be perfect as a whole.

So, who wants to sit in as my co-captain. I've got 1977 and 1982. And for each of these years I have a strategic route to victory. PM me if you're interested.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website