Wombi
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 13:30
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
I also think calling yourself an agnostic is a cowardly statement.

harsh. and to think I was missing bork earlier today...

Admit it though. It's just a cheap way of avoiding to make a stand and trying not to upset anyone.

Absolutely not. Have you seen the way I am ion this site? does it seem like I go out of my way to not upset people??? I honestly couldn't admit or commit to saying that I think there is no such thing as God or a god, it's just who I am. Unless it was proven beyond doubt, I could not say with any certainty that a higher being did or did not cause a big bang etc. Although I am highly doubtful about the Judeo-Christian-Islamic idea of God.

Could you, unless it was proven beyond doubt, say with any certainty that there is or is not a tiny little alien orbiting the earth in an invisible flying tea-pot whose sole reason for living is sending invisible and undetectable disintegration rays into washers making one of the socks completely disappear without any trace?

not 100, no. 99% maybe but there's always got to be that allowal of margin of error

Last edited by Wombi on 07/15/2011 14:08; edited 2 times in total
Polythene Pam
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 13:51
  • Post subject:
the following are opinions OK! there is no god. And... Aw fuck ill do this tomorow when i have a keyboard
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 14:19
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
not 100& no 99% maybe but there's always got to be that allowal of margin of error

So what you are saying is that we can't be certain about anything? There is always a margin of error.

That don't mean you walk around life not taking a stand on anything. I am pretty certain that you are willing to stand up for the theory of evolution or of gravity, or even of relativity. Or on a more philisophical plane: you assume that the world is functioning pretty much as you see it and that it is not just a figment of your imagination or a dream. But in the case of god..."don't know".
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 14:27
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
not 100& no 99% maybe but there's always got to be that allowal of margin of error

So what you are saying is that we can't be certain about anything? There is always a margin of error.

That don't mean you walk around life not taking a stand on anything. I am pretty certain that you are willing to stand up for the theory of evolution or of gravity, or even of relativity. Or on a more philisophical plane: you assume that the world is functioning pretty much as you see it and that it is not just a figment of your imagination or a dream. But in the case of god..."don't know".

Theories are called theories for a reason, because in science you can not ever conclusively prove anything and that goes for everything in life. In regards to god/gods there just isn't enough evidence for me to go either way (though am I am partial to the "this world and our bodies are designed too perfectly for it to be random" POV). I don't know what more I can say.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 15:55
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Theories are called theories for a reason, because in science you can not ever conclusively prove anything and that goes for everything in life. In regards to god/gods there just isn't enough evidence for me to go either way (though am I am partial to the "this world and our bodies are designed too perfectly for it to be random" POV). I don't know what more I can say.

Yes just our eyes alone are IMO beyond reasonable odds to be considered just "randomly"
Designed. Not to mention our central nervous system, which if anybody has ever studied in great detail as I have, would realize how incredibly complex it is and IMO beyond any mathematical odds or number to even be "random"

But lets go even further than that and take a look at what I see as the most obvious example of intelligent design.

The universe.

Yes, like Pam was starting to say, it is all opinion really.

But I, being a Bible believing Christian, understand that it's a matter of faith. And faith is the belief in things yet unseen.

So, until Jesus Christ returns to set up his kingdom on earth as the king of kings and lord of lords we will never be able to put GOD or creation as proof under a microscope.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 16:06
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Yes just our eyes alone are IMO beyond reasonable odds to be considered just "randomly" designed. Not to mention our central nervous system, which if anybody has ever studied in great detail as I have, would realize how incredibly complex it is and IMO beyond any mathematical odds or number to even be "random".

One has to use the word random with caution though. Noone is claiming that things like the eye or the central nervous system just appeared out of nowhere in their finished form and it has been shown that both can exist and be highly useful in much lower stages of development. The only random part to evolution is how and when mutations occur. If those mutations are useful they live on and establish the new norm, if they are not they disappear and are never noticed.

If you want fuel for your argument, GARY, you should use self-replicating DNA molecules instead of eyes and nervous systems. Those are the really tricky ones to explain and it has not yet been done. The eye is fairly simple.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 16:44
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
But I, being a Bible believing Christian, understand that it's a matter of faith. And faith is the belief in things yet unseen.

A question about faith:

How do you decide WHICH explanation of the unseen to have faith in?
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 07/15/2011 17:48
  • Post subject:
When it comes to politics I've never looked into it much, I can't even vote yet so why should I?
I don't believe in any God.
  • Visit poster's website
purple
  • Posted: 07/16/2011 00:30
  • Post subject:
also, this topic can definitely expand beyond politics and religion; those were just the obvious two choices to start up with.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 07/16/2011 00:38
  • Post subject:
I think the people on earth spend a lot of time searching for something that isn't there and trying to fill a whole deep inside them that they find things that may temporarily seem to, but in the end nothing seems to fill it.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website