Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/18/2014 18:28
  • Post subject: ALC #31: Black Messiah by D'Angelo And The Vanguard

Black Messiah by D'Angelo

HEY, let's all laugh at all the music publications releasing their year end lists before this came out!!!!!!

OK so I figured it'd be kinda sad to not have any albums for ALC in november and december, and I listened to this and it's likely the best 2014 album I've heard in a while, so why not have a discussion about it. Yes, yes, I know, it's not an "unknown" release, it's not gonna be a discovery for most people, but the idea behind ALC in the first place was discussing newly released albums, not necessarily trying to find the most obscure album that others haven't heard yet possible. Even though it would ideally be both.

I personally only listened to Voodoo for the first time today, and then this album afterwards, and I actually found it to be a massive improvement to the former. It's got the same sort of smooth vibe that makes you want to get laid, but it's possibly more "immediate" track by track, and also explores a larger territory in its neo-soul/RnB genres. His vocals are fucking perfect as well... I have nothing more of substance to say here yet, hope you guys do.

Anyway I'll rank all my ALC listens soon, maybe create a chart for it too. You guys are encouraged to do the same. Also, if y'all want to do ALC in 2015, try to find somebody to run it. I think it hasn't been what any of us wanted though...

Last edited by 19loveless91 on 12/25/2014 22:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2014 19:32
  • Post subject:
This is already one of my favorite albums of all time. It's definitely the best R&B/Soul album I've ever heard, and by far my AOTY. There's not a single track that isn't mindblowing and elevating. I liked his first two albums a lot, but this definitely trumps most albums ever released. #10 on my overall chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/18/2014 20:07
  • Post subject: Re: ALC #30: Black Messiah by D'Angelo And The Vanguard
a kissless virgin wrote:
[That] vibe that makes you want to get laid

Laughing
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/18/2014 20:24
  • Post subject:
You underestimate me. But yes there is a reason I chose my words as I do.

On D'Angelo:
[16:57:58] Jure Pl: it's really smooth
[16:58:01] Richard: yeah
[16:58:08] Richard: i really like its vibe
[16:58:16] Jure Pl: makes me want to snuggle with somebody
[16:58:20] Jure Pl: : (
[16:58:34] Richard: awww
[16:58:36] Richard: wit me
[16:58:36] Jure Pl: foreveralone.jpg"
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/18/2014 21:20
  • Post subject:
Politically-charged songs about the plight of blacks in the US also make me want to snuggle
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/18/2014 22:19
  • Post subject:
I suppose it'll suffice until the next Erykah Badu album.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/19/2014 00:45
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Politically-charged songs about the plight of blacks in the US also make me want to snuggle

lol there really aren't that many like that though.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 12/19/2014 01:01
  • Post subject:
The music and D'Angelo's voice go so well together, great record. I'm not big on the second track, though I can see it growing.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/19/2014 03:17
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:

Absurd as that sounds, if you read the lyrics of the individual songs on paper, there are dramatic examples of both snuggle music and politically charged rhetoric. I've been poring over this album the last few days try to figure how the hell he makes that work. It probably helps that the lyrics are near incomprehensible at times, but still, I get a very different vibe from "1000 Deaths" versus "Sugah Daddy". Maybe the point is that living with those contrasts is part of being black in America.

Anyway, I love this album. I've been resisting the urge to put it on my overall chart after less than a week, but it's so enraptured me since it came out that it just feels wrong for it not to be there. I could compare it to a lot of things... What's Going On? is an obvious one, since both are political statements with a grand scope. Probably the best comparison for my experience, though, is Loveless, just because of D'Angelo's obsessive attention to every little detail in the music. Sometimes I want to sit back and let it carry me away, but other times I just want to study it and try to get even the smallest insight into the workings of his insanely honed musical mind.

Can't recommend this highly enough.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 12/19/2014 03:57
  • Post subject:
everyone i know across a variety of different musical tastes is obsessed with this record, but two listens have left me completely cold. nothing feels immediate to me, and the fun and pop of Prince at his best or even Andre 3000's peaks on The Love Below pack a lot more punch for me. the political sentiments are very vital, and this album is definitely gonna benefit from being very of the zeitgeist while simultaneously having a nearly universal aesthetic appeal. i really want to like it as much as everyone else cause everyone seems to be having a great time, but it just hasn't clicked at all.