Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2016 22:14
  • Post subject: SLP #21: Overcoming Awkwardness in the Club
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd just do a simple club mix for this, focusing much more on flow than story. I know this has a lot of artists you may dislike, but I think the way they're mixed among stuff you may very well love can give you a new appreciation for it.

You can listen at https://open.spotify.com/user/pinkerton...PthcBzKwAb.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:42
  • Post subject:
Added to my queue!

Also can we change the spelling of queue? Why can't it just be que? Do we really need 4 vowels in a row?
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/16/2016 21:52
  • Post subject:
Going to bump this tonight. Super keen.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2016 00:46
  • Post subject:
First off, fantastic name. I think I've heard you talk about dancing a little and if that's the vision of the playlist, totally get that.

1. At first listen I was excited, and then I realized it was anti-punk brat nation music and was immediately turned off. Anyone else get turned off by it sounding like a bunch of brats?

2. I haven't liked a "dance like this song" released since 1970 and unfortunately this is not an exception.

3. An actual song worth dancing to so far an 11 if compared to the rest of the list. I'm a sucker for anything funk and this is no exception. Even if a bit over the top, I love the vocal almost scat singing. The bass and guitar parts are funktastically funky.

4. I usually am not a fan of this genre, but liked this. The vocals were cutting weren't as laughable as most of the genre. I think the mix being a more rough actually allowed it to be more "believable". Sometimes this genre has a mix that is over polished and so somehow has no flavor too it (to my ears)... even when it is musically fantastic/interesting. The guitar solo was only 47 seconds and then again 41 seconds, so for this genre 30.6% of a song is pretty good. Lyrically it is possibly the worst thing I've ever heard.

5. If it's dancing... well ok. Some interesting synth ideas, otherwise I'd never choose to listen to ever again.

6. Dig the vocal style, even if it became a bit too repetitive at times. I REALLY wish the underlying melody was mixed more to the front. Really liked that. Half way through the song I felt like it should have finished already. Would be a much more interesting short song.

7. Love the energy in this. It even made me dance. The break at 2 minutes was a nice surprise. Fantastic samples/remake (sounds like same musical ideas but actually isn't technically a sample). I usually am ok with the hey ho from the early 90s, but somehow it didn't work in this song. Maybe the tone... dunno. FANTASTIC bass tone... feels like a real electric bass doing the slap bass, etc.

8. haha, actually decent intro. Best use of sped up vocals I've heard. Don't really have any further opinions other than I bet this could really be trippy if high. I did like the end.

9. I have zero interest in this at this moment. I have an idea for a song that has edge... you just say psycho 83 times in it.

10. The feel good hit of the summer. I think I've heard this in a romantic comedy. If that didn't ruin it for me, I think I'd really think this was pretty solid (2nd best song on the list). Laid back party song.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/17/2016 12:07
  • Post subject:
Had fairly similar reactions to seth, but I like how far outside my usual listening habits this strays. I don't rate it as the most danceable mix I've heard, but dancing certainly was had.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/20/2016 07:10
  • Post subject:
You must not have paid attention to much lyrics, even within the genre’s medium then, lol. Crimson Glory is fantastic and one of the best early examples of the bridge between traditional heavy metal and the progressive metal/power metal expansions of the 90s. But this about Charles’ playlist, not your interpretation of one song so I’ll get on with it.

I like some songs on this playlist but I find it absolutely hilarious how you complained how my first SLP had no flow or fluidity when this is exactly the problem you have with this SLP. For me there is about three songs worth listening to pushing aside that this is just an incohesive mess of songs that do not work together (“Everybody Else”, “Jungle Boogie”, and “Red Sharks” respectively).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2016 20:02
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
You must not have paid attention to much lyrics, even within the genre’s medium then, lol. Crimson Glory is fantastic and one of the best early examples of the bridge between traditional heavy metal and the progressive metal/power metal expansions of the 90s. But this about Charles’ playlist, not your interpretation of one song so I’ll get on with it.

Actually comparing communist dictators to "red sharks" is about as mature and artistically deep as sharknado or that list of high school level metaphors: http://nedhardy.com/2013/02/08/56-actua...ol-essays/

But of course that's my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 08/21/2016 11:08
  • Post subject:
At least it's trying to say something even if it is pseudo-intellectual slush from a bunch of leather jacket wearing metalheads from the '80s. God knows there is far worse out there and you said it was the bottom of the barrel which you have to admit is a fuckin' hyperbole.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/21/2016 11:15
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
high school level metaphors: http://nedhardy.com/2013/02/08/56-actua...ol-essays/

A fair few of these are legitimately fantastic
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 08/21/2016 11:18
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
A fair few of these are legitimately fantastic

The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

I think I just spit my coffee on my monitor.
  • Visit poster's website