Overrated/Underrated by Group

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2018 19:59
  • Post subject: Overrated/Underrated by Group
I didn't participate in the "Most Underrated Album" thread because there are so very many, especially from relatively obscure artists, that I just couldn't narrow it down to a manageable list.

To reduce the concept to a manageable scope, I thought it might be interesting to come up with the most overrated/underrated (using whatever objective or subject criteria you personally find meaningful) album from artists with large enough catalogs to make it a meaningful exercise.

Here's my inputs:

RUSH
Overrated: Counterparts.
Although Rush is my favorite group, and I love just about everything they've done, sitting all the way through this one is like a drudgery for me.
Underrated: Signals, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, Roll the Bones -- all chock full of great songs, and great variety between them

ROLLING STONES
Overrated:
Between the Buttons. IMO a little bland relative to what came immediately before and well after
Underrated: It's Only Rock and Roll. After the likes of Beggars, Bleed, Sticky, Exile, and even Goat' there's no way this one won't pale. But that doesn't mean it should be overlooked. Fun album with lots of great songs.

KINKS
Overrated:
Muswell Hillbilles. Kinks + country = an a bad mix for me
Underrated: Schoolboys in Disgrace. Wonderfully compact concept album with some absolutely killer songs. The epic "Education" alone is worth the price of admission

LED ZEPPELIN
Overrated:
In Through the Out Door. I know it's not the most highly regarded in their catalog... and it's still overrated
Underrated: III. More diverse than Zep usually gets credit for, and that's a good thing.

MOODY BLUES
Overrated:
None. They did turn out some rather uninspiring efforts late in their catalog, but those don't get much love anyway.
Underrated: Long Distance Voyager. Their second attempt at a comeback album stands up well against the classic seven.

BLACK SABBATH
Overrated:
Sabotage. Great album, but I simply can't put it on top or close to the top of the Sabbath heap as so many do.
Underrated: Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath and Cross Purposes. The first has always been my favorite of the original 8, and the latter Tony Martin era gets no love, which is a travesty.

JETHRO TULL
Overrated:
Too Old for Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die. Another album that doesn't get a lot of love, but it's still too much. You'd think this subject matter would be a perfect vehicle for Anderson, but the execution fell of a cliff.
Underrated: Crest of a Knave. Unfairly ignored mostly as a result of its time of release, but every song is a winner and some are as clever as anything Anderson ever penned. Production is a little too slick, but the songs more than enough to fight through.

DIRE STRAITS
Overrated:
Brothers in Arms. Big sales due to 80s radio hits, which is condemnation in and of itself.
Underrated: Love Over Gold. An artistic masterpiece from end to end

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA
Overrated:
Time. I have just never been able to grasp why so many are so moved by this album. Relentlessly depressing, and the downer mood is exacerbated by Lynne's overly thick production.
Underrated: Secret Messages. Okay, so this is admittedly a cheezy 80s album, but there's more than a few fun songs and if you take it for what it is, it's a good listen

FOGHAT
Overrated:
Fool for the City. Two hits that are far from the band's best work and the rest is filler
Underrated: Energized and Stone Blue. Two great albums each with 8 songs, 8 varied songs, 8 great songs

YES
Overrated:
90125. Even prog-masters Yes succumbed to the worst of the 80s.
Underrated: Relayer. Belongs right there with Topographic, Fragile and the Yes Album. A genuine progressive masterpiece who's intricacy of parts and virtuosity amaze, even by Yes' insanely high standards.

DAN FOGELBERG
Overrated:
Phoenix. The hits were good, the filler, not so much
Underrated: Netherlands: Every last song a perfect 100 or darn close to it. Not a single hit despite easily being the artists greatest, and most consistent, musical expression.

MILES DAVIS
Overrated:
Kind of Blue. Don't get me wrong, marvelous album, but the greatest jazz album of all time? Not even close. Thank God for Coltrane and Cannonball, or else this would be middling Miles for me.
Underrated: Is anything Miles did underrated? Even his lesser known albums get lots of love. Nevertheless, there are a couple second-tier Miles albums I think should be first tier (for all the same reasons most Miles albums are considered first tier: composition, innovation, execution). They are Jack Johnson and Agharta.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:00
  • Post subject:
Interesting. I don't know too many people that think Topographic Oceans is one of Yes' best. Mostly people hate it as one of Yes' most pretentious works they ever did.

I personally like it, it's good to see someone else does.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:11
  • Post subject:
Good idea. Very interesting comments re: Miles Davis and others. I have pretty basic tastes when it comes to Jazz. For some reason it's Miles who I find most accessible. Maybe I'll progress to other things some day.

Dylan
Underrated: Nashville Skyline. It's really charming
Overrated: The Basement Tapes. I don't get the fuss. Probably should try again though.

Beatles
Underrated: The first five albums, particularly Beatles for Sale. Great energy and timeless.
Overrated: Magical Mystery Tour and Let it Be. Neither really satisfy or feel like proper albums.

Beach Boys
Underrated: Friends. It's lovely.
Overrated: Surf's Up. It's very good but not their second best and has a couple of dodgy tracks (at least).

Bowie
Underrated: Scary Monsters. Quite well regarded but should be higher. It's a total tunefest.
Overrated: The Next Day. Fine but over-hyped on release. I rarely come back to it.

Radiohead (everybody yawns)
Overrated: Kid A. Interesting but give me some more tunes!
Underrated: Amnesiac. Thanks for giving me some more tunes!

Air
Overrated: Moon Safari. Very pretty but I got bored of it.
Underrated: Premiere Symptoms. Gorgeous.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:25
  • Post subject:
Underrated:

More Songs About Buildings And Food by Talking Heads

Black Beauty by Love

Alchemy by Dire Straits
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:26
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Good idea. Very interesting comments re: Miles Davis and others. I have pretty basic tastes when it comes to Jazz. For some reason it's Miles who I find most accessible. Maybe I'll progress to other things some day.

Interesting that you find Miles the most accessible. It sounds like you've had exposure to primarily early work like Kind of Blue. Miles actually has a lot of very challenging work that jazz neophytes cant stand, Bitches Brew being the most obvious example. While Miles isn't my personal favorite (I could have done this for a few dozen other jazz artists, but refrained, knowing most people wouldn't have an interest), of the great things about him is that there is so much progression within his own work, that you can look to progress without ever leaving Miles!
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:42
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:

Dylan
Overrated: The Basement Tapes. I don't get the fuss. Probably should try again though.

Beatles
Underrated: The first five albums, particularly Beatles for Sale. Great energy and timeless.
Overrated: Magical Mystery Tour and Let it Be. Neither really satisfy or feel like proper albums.

Beach Boys
Overrated: Surf's Up. It's very good but not their second best and has a couple of dodgy tracks (at least).

Bowie
Underrated: Scary Monsters. Quite well regarded but should be higher. It's a total tunefest.
Overrated: The Next Day. Fine but over-hyped on release. I rarely come back to it.

Air

Yes for Dylan and Bowie, completely agree. Disagree about The Beatles, MMT is the one I would call underrated.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:46
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Interesting that you find Miles the most accessible. It sounds like you've had exposure to primarily early work like Kind of Blue. Miles actually has a lot of very challenging work that jazz neophytes cant stand, Bitches Brew being the most obvious example. While Miles isn't my personal favorite (I could have done this for a few dozen other jazz artists, but refrained, knowing most people wouldn't have an interest), of the great things about him is that there is so much progression within his own work, that you can look to progress without ever leaving Miles!

Good point. My entry point was Kind of Blue like a lot of folks. I do like In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew though, even though they are probably more challenging. Maybe it's that I find Miles quite organic and spacious. When I hear Jazz that is full on intensity and a lot going on I find it hard to process. I really have to muster up some courage before I listen to A Love Supreme for example.
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:49
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Good point. My entry point was Kind of Blue like a lot of folks. I do like In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew though, even though they are probably more challenging. Maybe it's that I find Miles quite organic and spacious. When I hear Jazz that is full on intensity and a lot going on I find it hard to process. I really have to muster up some courage before I listen to A Love Supreme for example.

That makes sense. Miles is a master of the use of space. If you've got the attention span for it rather than being a hyperactive squirrel chaser, Miles is your guy. I tend the other way, so the classic Hard Bop era with it's insanely fast chord changes and lightning speed soloing is my natural groove. But sometimes, Miles is able to overcome that for me. In a Silent Way is one of my all time favorites in any genre.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:55
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Dylan

Beatles

Beach Boys

Bowie

Air

Yes for Dylan and Bowie, completely agree. Disagree about The Beatles, MMT is the one I would call underrated.

Yeah I'm in the minority with MMT around here. It's pretty high in the rankings. I've just never really liked it that much, which I thought was strange given it has a lot of their best regarded tracks. When I listened carefully though, I realised there are actually a few songs I find a bit bland. Also, overall, I'm not that keen on their approach to being psychadelic at this point. I feel like there is just too much stuff thrown on top of the tracks to make it all trippy. Just my opinion though Smile
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/01/2018 21:58
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

That makes sense. Miles is a master of the use of space. If you've got the attention span for it rather than being a hyperactive squirrel chaser, Miles is your guy. I tend the other way, so the classic Hard Bop era with it's insanely fast chord changes and lightning speed soloing is my natural groove. But sometimes, Miles is able to overcome that for me. In a Silent Way is one of my all time favorites in any genre.

Laughing Good expression. And yeah I think that must be it. It's the way he creates space.