Not allowing any feedback or ratings on your chart

View previous topic :: View next topic
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/27/2010 09:36
  • Post subject: Not allowing any feedback or ratings on your chart
Surely you should not be allowed to rate or give feedback on other charts if you are too spineless to receive ratings on your own?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/27/2010 10:20
  • Post subject:
Idea Good idea joyofdivision. We´ll add that in the next site update...
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2010 14:46
  • Post subject:
Agree, as I wrote in my 1/14 PM to albummaster:

RFNAPLES wrote:
To: albummaster
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 02:17
Subject: Ratings
I think if those who don't permit their charts to be rated also had their ability to rate other charts prohibited, the site ratings would be more accurate/fair and less vindictive.

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/27/2010 17:28
  • Post subject:
I disagree. Confused

By blocking ratings on chart you can stop bullying and harassment. In the past I have seen people giving the lowest ratings possible and leaving hateful comments on other people charts, completely unrelated to the music that is on the chart.

Personally, I would like a vote on this before such a thing gets passed. If it does I would like to ask for the ability to delete ratings or comments on are charts which we deem as unfair. Smile
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2010 17:52
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I disagree. Confused

By blocking ratings on chart you can stop bullying and harassment. In the past I have seen people giving the lowest ratings possible and leaving hateful comments on other people charts, completely unrelated to the music that is on the chart.

Personally, I would like a vote on this before such a thing gets passed. If it does I would like to ask for the ability to delete ratings or comments on are charts which we deem as unfair. Smile

Yes the bullying and harassment will stop on your chart. But often those who do not permit ratings/comments on their charts are in fact positng vindictive ratings and comments on other peoples' charts and continue their bullying and harassment.

I have previously suggested:

I support the notion of free speech on the public areas but also support privacy rights of individuals. I believe that an individual should be king of his castle/home/top 40 site. If a guest behaves in a manner not tolerated by the king, the king should be able to throw him out and/or banish him from his castle.

I believe members are allowed to determine if their site is open or closed. I ask that we also consider allowing members to open their sites by invitation or close to certain individuals as determined by the site owner.

Currently ratings apply indefinitely unless the rater changes his rating regardless of whether the chart changes in the interim. Unlike the recognized charts which are stable, member charts tend not to be and therefore the ratings/comments tend not to be reflective of the changed charts. Currently notification of chart changes is not given to the prior raters/commenters or to the viewing public.

The use of comment deletion and user ban is not new. MySpace and other sites offer same now.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/27/2010 18:38
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Yes the bullying and harassment will stop on your chart. But often those who do not permit ratings/comments on their charts are in fact positng vindictive ratings and comments on other peoples' charts and continue their bullying and harassment.

Very good point. I failed to notice that.

If someone was to rate a chart 10/100 or lower it's hard to see how it could be with good intentions. When I used to rate that low it was when the majority of the chart was albums I disliked. I used to think that if I had nothing nice to say I'll say nothing but leave a bad rating to show my opinion anyway. Nowadays I'm thinking there is no point to leave a bad rating either. On the other hand, for the albums I believe that honesty is the best policy. It wouldn't give a clear representation of peoples opinion of an album if everyone was to rate the ones they like.

• Posted: 03/18/2010 04:05
  • Post subject: Re: Not allowing any feedback or ratings on your chart
I couldn't disagree more with the way I just discovered it. "Vindictive people" seems like a weak argument that amounts to little more than generalization that only ruins it for the majority.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/18/2010 15:42
  • Post subject:
We've now implemented the original idea which was to stop people from being able to provide feedback on other member's charts if their own chart disallows people from providing feedback. This will help to stop some members providing low ratings and/or unhelpful comments to other people's charts while hiding behind a barrier that stopped the recipient from providing their own thoughts back! Only a small percentage of charts disallow feedback, so this will not affect that many members.
  • Visit poster's website