Recommendations Thread

Goto page Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 101102103  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
newbands1 wrote:
I'm sure you already know all these stuff.Early Cure, Smiths S/T,and any Slowcore or Emo bands.


Bar suffer Little Children The Smiths' debut LP is far from miserable if you ask me - there's wry humour littered throughout ('the sun shines out of our behinds', 'I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice', 'a smile lights up her stupid face', etc.), and the fact that you could happily dance to half of it instantly negates your appraisal.

For more accurate would be any of the following surely (although I'm waiting for someone to argue the toss...)


Down Colorful Hill by Red House Painters


Seamonsters by The Wedding Present


Fables Of The Reconstruction by R.E.M.


From A Basement On The Hill by Elliott Smith
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
[quote="noWaxJim"]Bar suffer Little Children The Smiths' debut LP is far from miserable if you ask me - there's wry humour littered throughout ('the sun shines out of our behinds', 'I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice', 'a smile lights up her stupid face', etc.), and the fact that you could happily dance to half of it instantly negates your appraisal.

For more accurate would be any of the following surely (although I'm waiting for someone to argue the toss...)


Seamonsters by The Wedding Present

Brilliant choice based upon the lyrics and subject matter!! But, I "happily dance" to this all the time. I'm a freak though. 🤣

I think maybe a better Wedding Presents album that I don't happily mosh to would be...


Watusi by The Wedding Present

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dancing to this too. 🤣 You're right. The tone of Watusi is too bright & cheery. Seamonsters is by far the more inspired choice. Thanks for getting me to listen to Watusi again though. I love it.
  • Quote
an_outlaw wrote:
What are the most miserable albums you have? Because life sucks so much.


blaaaaaaaaaaack metal

TheStarsAreDeadNow by Coldworld

Il Était une Forêt... by Gris
  • Quote
Could anyone recommend me some good baroque pop records? I like albums which are melodic and have great arrangements. I search similar albums to Forever Changes or Vampire Weekend's debut.
😄
  • Quote
TracyJacks wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some good baroque pop records? I like albums which are melodic and have great arrangements. I search similar albums to Forever Changes or Vampire Weekend's debut.
:)


I see The Divine Comedy get the word baroque thrown at them. You heard of that group?
  • Quote
TracyJacks wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some good baroque pop records? I like albums which are melodic and have great arrangements. I search similar albums to Forever Changes or Vampire Weekend's debut.
:)

I'd recommend this:


The Reminder by Feist

May or may not be baroque in the classic sense, but I think it counts, sorta. It has modern indie rock flavours with pop elements and some beautiful harmonies. It can be layered and productive but also quiet and kinda melancholic in a way.
_________________
  • Quote
TracyJacks wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some good baroque pop records? I like albums which are melodic and have great arrangements. I search similar albums to Forever Changes or Vampire Weekend's debut.
:)


You may love these if you haven't heard 'em yet.


Spilt Milk by Jellyfish


Best! by Jellyfish


Summerteeth by Wilco


Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev


XO by Elliott Smith


Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello & The Attractions


Diorama by Silverchair


Skylarking by XTC

I especially love Jellyfish as a gem that you will probably love! Summerteeth, especially with songs like "Pieholden Suite" is some of the most marvelous and dark music of this ilk I've heard. XO and Deserter's Songs I'd say are also amazing and baroque poppy. Skylarking is just about sweet and melodic an harmony driven as music can be. As is Diorama, I believe that's the album where Van Dyke Parks worked with Silverchair (same man who worked with Brian Wilson with Smile) and Parks has nothing but rave things to say about the lead singer an songwriter of Silverchair - forgot his name.

Oh and Imperial Bedroom is a very unique and very beautiful chamber/baroque pop record from from the great Elvis Costello.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
So what do people think "baroque music" sounds like in their own words? Because there is no single album I would be listening to where I suddenly "Ahhh, this sounds baroque".

Jellyfish, Mercury Rev and Feist are all quite different artists in the world of pop/rock. Can't see a connection between them to be honest.
  • Quote
an_outlaw wrote:
So what do people think "baroque music" sounds like in their own words? Because there is no single album I would be listening to where I suddenly "Ahhh, this sounds baroque".


To me (as an unabashed 60s purist) it's essentially 60s soft psych pop with orchestral embellishments (think Pet Sounds and you're on the right lines). C.f. the following albums (one of which I've mentioned a few posts ago...)


The Nightmare Of J.B. Stanislas by Nick Garrie


Begin by The Millennium


The Story Of Simon Simopath by Nirvana (UK)

From memory I think gussteivi has a baroque pop chart which by and large is pretty spot on. Suggest people head on over there...!
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
TracyJacks wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some good baroque pop records? I like albums which are melodic and have great arrangements. I search similar albums to Forever Changes or Vampire Weekend's debut.
:)

Searching for albums that sound like Forever Changes is like searching for the Holly Grail for me... 🤣 Anyway, this is the closest I've got (so far)...

Listed in order of how they might possibly resemble Forever Changes (imo):

Edit: BTW, these are not baroque pop records; they are all psychedelic folk and many of them do cross genres..


Iron Curtain Innocence by Bobb Trimble


Hölderlins Traum by Hölderlin


Harvest Of Dreams by Bobb Trimble


The Use Of Ashes by Pearls Before Swine


Oar by Alexander Spence


One Nation Underground by Pearls Before Swine


Balaklava by Pearls Before Swine


Carol Of Harvest by Carol Of Harvest


Bröselmaschine [Broselmaschine] by Bröselmaschine


It's A Beautiful Day by It's A Beautiful Day
_________________
"And can’t you see you’re in on it?
You were born though you need not
And is that not some cause
For worship, being born among these trees?"


Last edited by NickVolos on 05/25/2014 20:27; edited 1 time in total

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 101102103  Next
Page 25 of 103


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: The Tournaments Forum Suggestions Thread Guest Tournaments
New Recommendations Thread RockyRaccoon Music
Recommendations Thread 2.0 KitchenSink Music
Most unfamiliar with 87, 88 and 89. R... ExTeaSea Music
Funk album recommendations? Revolution909 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.