Trippiest albums

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Some more obvious ones are Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective, Currents by Tame Impala, Congratulations by MGMT. I'm listening to The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens for the first time right now and it sounds pretty trippy and crazy.
_________________
These are my favorite albums right now.
  • Quote
I have a lot of cliche ones, but a lot of these are more for chilling, not really "tripping":


Dopethrone by Electric Wizard


Doris by Earl Sweatshirt


Loveless by My Bloody Valentine


Madvillainy by Madvillain


The Unseen by Quasimoto


Stratosphere by Duster


Days Before Rodeo by Travi$ Scott


M3LL155X by FKA Twigs

But these are also the only album's I've been stoned and listened to. I don't really listen to albums when I'm stoned since that's usually an activity I do alone. My roommate and I have a playlist of songs since I never really smoke alone.
_________________
...and for dessert!


Last edited by Anti on 04/14/2016 18:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Square by Buck 65

You're Dead! by Flying Lotus

The Night Took Us In Like Family by L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae

Time? Astonishing! by L'Orange & Kool Keith

L'Orange's two releases last year were easily in my favorite's of the year, and they're both very trippy (as far as hip hop goes).. Maybe not into the realm of Quasimoto or Buck 65, but pretty close.
  • Quote
I'm not sure what necessarily constitutes a "trippy" album, but here are some of my favorite albums to listen to while I'm tripping:


ๅŠ ็ˆพๅŸบ ็ฒพๆถฒ ๆ —ใƒŽ่Šฑ [Karuki Samen Kuri No Hana] by Shiina Ringo

ๅจ‘ๅฉ†ใƒฉใƒ [Shaba-Lover] by ใƒ‘ใ‚นใƒ”ใ‚จ [Passepied]

FAKEVOX by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box

Short Short by Macdonald Duck Eclair

Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan

Blue by Joni Mitchell

Homogenic by Bjรถrk

Revolver by The Beatles

Untrue by Burial

Madvillainy by Madvillain

I'm gonna stop there 'cuz I could go on for a while, haha.
  • Quote
I second most of these (Joni Mitchell though?). Also:


Kindred by Burial


Velocity : Design : Comfort by Sweet Trip


Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor


Kid A by Radiohead


Since I Left You by The Avalanches


Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull


We're Only In It For The Money by The Mothers of Invention


The Beatles (The White Album) by The Beatles


And to the OP who said Dark Side of the Moon is the obvious answer, have you not heard this?


The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd
  • Quote
badseed wrote:
(Joni Mitchell though?)


Lol what. Joni Mitchell's discography is in every way perfect for psychonauts.
  • Quote
Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper is perfect.
  • Quote
I'd like to add more after this past weekend:


Since I Left You by The Avalanches


3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul


Shades Of Blue by Madlib

I might post the link to my playlist.
_________________
...and for dessert!
  • Quote
I think of "trippy" music as unrecognizable and warped sounds, or recognizable sound in contexts you're not used to, songs that alter your perception of time and space, feeling profoundly dissociative/alien, etc. Utakata No Hibi is pretty great example, as are all of Tap's recs here (and most things on his chart tbh). I usually prefer my trippy music to come with some accessible component (melody/rhythm) to hook me in, but I'm not averse to full on dissociative madness.

Broadcast And The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age


Link


Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi


Link


Aphex Twin - SAWII


Link


VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision


Link


(More later probably.)
  • Quote
denmarkman wrote:
Lol what. Joni Mitchell's discography is in every way perfect for psychonauts.


I'll admit I've listened to Blue whilst tripping balls before but it was more for its calming lack of trippiness due to a need for a change of pace after something that blew my mind. There are some quirky little parts but nothing that makes me go harder. Lmao.

With that said when I think "trippy" I don't necessarily think of music Ive tripped to. I think something along the lines of "what the fuck? That's weird." It doesn't necessarily have to be psychedelic but it has to be mind bending in a way
Most good IDM and post rock have that trait. Jazz can be trippy as fuck.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
best ever albums or coolest ever albums martintho Suggestions
What are albums are your Top 10 Great... hestiacarrow1994 Music
2012 albums mooseboy101 Music
2020 albums LedZep Music
2015 albums WindowAbove Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.