Do your musical preferences have a 'default setting'?

Goto page Previous  1234
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Yann wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

So through this rambling, I've realized that my default setting is nothing more than a high level of emotional connection.


High level of emotional connection, yes. Which is compounded if it’s associated with (preferably happy) memories. The power of reminiscence of music keeps fascinating me. My earliest musical memory was the theme (by Vangelis) of a french radio broadcast my mother used to listen regularly when I was around 2 or 3. And when I heard it years later, yes, that was indeed an emotional connection (with the past) !
In Christmas 1988, my elder brother received the White Album and Sgt Pepper on CD, and made me discover them. These two became "default setting".

And, in my personal « musical dna », I could also probably find :
Mc Cartney’s voice (childhood memories of Wings harmonies)
Dave Gilmour’s guitar
Robert Smith’s voice
Andy Summer’s guitar (and The Police alchemy)
Barney Sumner’s (weak) singing
DX7 and other 80’s synths (intro of Everybody Wants to Rule the World, for example)
Some Supertramp songs (that Wulizter piano)
Some Supergrass songs
Ella Fitzgerald’s voice
Cold wave sounds
Paddy McAloon
Etienne Daho’s Live ED
Everyday is Like Sunday’s intro
The little piano on Rock the Casbah
Kinky Afro’s intro
Leave Them All Behind
Sirius & Eye in The Sky
Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones
Lou Reed (New York)
The Nightfly.
Brian Wilson.


👏

Awesome post! It's like your very own Sound of Music's "favorite things". 😁
  • Quote
glad you guys liked. Michael1981 use of that expression "musical dna" made me scan my mind..
  • Quote
Yann wrote:
glad you guys liked. Michael1981 use of that expression "musical dna" made me scan my mind..


Seems like you were introduced to some really good music in your early life. Its cool how specifically you can identify the things you like. My tastes are not really like my parents, but it surprises me how I do quite like the music they played me and radio hits from my earlier life. That said, I hope my parents Tina Turner and Chris de Burgh albums aren't too much in my musical DNA 😕

Interesting responses from all you guys on this thread btw 😁 .
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
Definitely NOT 0-12. ......


Hmmmm. Yes, I agree with Tilly. (and rkm and AAL2014 and JimmyDread)
I reckon it's the ages of 15/16/17 when the "Default" kicks in.
I was listening to heavy rock, jazz, blues, prog and weird psych then (Led Zepp, Soft Machine, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Van der Graaf Generator, Incredible String Band)
... and guess what ... it's rough equivalent for the current era is what I'm still listening to. (Although what category Mark Kozelek fits into I'm not sure :wink:).

(0 to 12? I think I was still just moving on from Andy Pandy - slow developer, see)
_________________
There is a global map to find out where BEA members are ...
Put yourself on the map: Click here
(Go to Additions ... then Add Marker.)

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1234
Page 4 of 4


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Default Settings for Customizing Over... Guest Suggestions
Preferences RFNAPLES Suggestions
weird sexual preferences Guest Lounge
Music, Age and Personal Preferences Mr. Shankly Music
Girlfriend with wrong music preferences! Cafu86 Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.