You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  123 ... 167168169 ... 197198199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
From Rocky:


Wizard Of The Vibes by Milt Jackson

Along with the harp, the vibes are one of the best and most underrated jazz instruments. That said, I may be biased considering I played the xylophone in middle school. I had a taste of Milt Jackson's capabilities before this from listening to the Miles Davis record Bags' Groove, which is great. This one has an earlier version of that track, plus seven others. It's quite good and sometimes outstanding bebop. But in general, the performances on this quick album don't stack up to the later ones I had already heard. Really solid, but as of now I wouldn't consider it essential. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

For glynspsa:


Expensive Shit by Fela Kuti & Africa 70

Here's another Fela album. The a-side could be better, but the b-side is my favorite of his.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
From Rocky:


Insecure Men by Insecure Men

This looked interesting. I didn't even know the guitarist from Fat White Family had his own band. While I enjoyed listening to this while floating in the pool with a beer or two, it just lacked that something special for me to really connect with. Not sure why. Maybe another listen or two might help as it had a uniqueness and vibe to it that normally I would really get into.

For Baystate:


Wahooti Fandango by Custard
  • Quote
from Purple:

Echoes In Blue by City Calm Down

I liked this album, but didn't love it. I definitely like the sound, I'm not so into the smooth baritone vocals. I had originally typed "ironically" before that sentence, but realized no, it's pretty consistent. I like Joanna Newsom, the Mountain Goats, Mount Eerie, Clem Snide, Synchromatica, lowercase, and all those other cool bands who have a distinctly non-standard singing. ๐Ÿ˜„

But I still liked the album.

So Purple, right back at you. Since we have eerily similar tastes all around, and I didn't see this album in your best of the 2010s or even your 2017 chart:

Carrie & Lowell Live by Sufjan Stevens
_________________
Some New Ordeal (Spotify/iTunes/Deezer)
  • Quote

Got To Find A Way by Curtis Mayfield

I mean, it's Curtis Mayfield, he's the man. It's not as good as his two classic albums, but it's still some of the most artistically satisfying soul music ever made.


Carpents, I don't know exactly how much you've listened in this decade, judging by the size of your chart, so I'll give you one of my favorites.


Mangy Love by Cass McCombs
  • Quote
Hey I remember this recommendation.

Yeah this top 10 for 2015.
Grade:100
Yes you read that right. This album has bops for days.
Think I had to replay Fake Champagne like 4 times. But realistically this reminds me of a sequel of Kanye's Graduation. Sorry for the near two month hiatus Purplepash but loved the hell out of this.

My pick
You know what, someone gets the new James Blake album. Called Assume Form.

  • Quote
From Carpents:


Carrie & Lowell Live by Sufjan Stevens

I have never really gotten into Sufjan Stevens. There are things I like and things I don't. However I respect him because he tries different things. His voice is great and while I like his lyrics they don't demand my attention like my favourite lyricists do. Having said that I did like Carrie & Lowell enough for it to make my yearly chart. This album for me was much the same. I did enjoy the live element and some songs worked and were an improvement but others weren't. Could have done without the Hotline Bling cover, although it wasn't awful. Overall it was good, but more for the Sufjan Stevens and/or Carrie & Lowell fans.

For Luigii: Glad you liked that album. I think the lyrics, flow, themes, and music are all great! Anyway, take as long as you like but give this a try.


The Underdog by GUM
  • Quote

Assume Form by James Blake

Can I just get an instrumental version of this album? I would enjoy that a lot more. Except for the track with Andre 3000, because he kills it once again.

Could you tell me anything about this Australian album PurplePash?


Ball Power by Coloured Balls
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Got To Find A Way by Curtis Mayfield

I mean, it's Curtis Mayfield, he's the man. It's not as good as his two classic albums, but it's still some of the most artistically satisfying soul music ever made.


Carpents, I don't know exactly how much you've listened in this decade, judging by the size of your chart, so I'll give you one of my favorites.


Mangy Love by Cass McCombs


Which two?
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Uh, Superfly and Curtis, of course.
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Uh, Superfly and Curtis, of course.


Oh yeah, that makes sense, I guess. Though I'd argue Roots, There's No Place Like Anerica Today, and Curtis/Live!, as well as a couple of Impressions albums (This Is My Country, and The Young Mods' Forgotten Story), are essentially on a par with those two. It's a bit unfair if people only tend to remember the two you mentioned.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 167168169 ... 197198199  Next
Page 168 of 199


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below yo... baystateoftheart Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.