About what I expected, a good quality British folk rock album that was enjoyable without being memorable. Not much more to say really. Glad I've heard a Fairport Convention album now, and from this I would happily listen to more of their albums. 7.5/10, 32/40 for 1969, and 88/100 for the '60s.
Rocka - Apparently The Ullulators - Beyond The Gates Of Ull is psych - I've gotta pick that then.
Jameth's all time greatest albums (2 picks to go)
1. In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic by Kasai Allstars
4. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8 by Kepler Quartet
6. Sings by Patty Waters
7. Dengo by Soungalo Coulibaly
8. Karunyam Volume 1 by Chitravina N. Ravikiran
9. Drums Of Passion by Olatunji
10. Alchemy by Third Ear Band
12. Recycling The Blues & Other Related Stuff by Taj Mahal
14. Visions Of The Country by Robbie Basho
15. The Centennial Collection by Robert Johnson (I have heard most of this already on The Complete Recordings)
This precursor to the prog band "Ozric Tentacles" creates a meandering Tribal/Ambient/Dub/Psych album that never fails to produce something interesting. There are many different elements at play here, and while the album lacks some consistency and fluency in some spots (some tracks seem to stop right in the middle for some reason) I am intrigued by many of the experimental goings on. I am interested to hear some more from this group, and I should also reevaluate some of the early Ozric Tentacles albums.
Purplepash, I would go with Robbie Basho. A great one.
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
The Conet Project (This is almost 5 hours long, so keep that in mind)
Little John - Give The Youth A Try
Astral Matrix- Secret Broadcast
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Hector Zazou- Songs From The Cold Seas
Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook - Sleeps With The Fishes
Moral- And Life Is
Frigate - Dreams of the Deep
Purple, I guess I got over zealous picking Fairport, but you might enjoy their other two with Denny more, as most people seem to...Unhalfbricking and Liege And Lief. Those would definitely be the two to check out.
I was in high school when this came out, and I let it pass me by because I was stuck in the 90s. It’s a lot better than I was anticipating. Love the bass, especially on “Alone, Together”, my favorite cut. It starts to tail off significantly after “Last Nite”. It’s a lot better than that awful Arctic Monkeys album, but it suffers from the same sterility that doesn’t leave me with much to say about it.
(2)
Edit: Dream in the deep, Chief.
(3)
From the overall chart (two more picks):
35. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
37. The Joshua Tree - U2
40. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
43. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory - Oasis
53. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
63. What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
71. Appetite For Destruction - Guns N‘ Roses
73. Thriller - Michael Jackson
76. A Night At The Opera - Queen
78. Achtung Baby - U2
When your uncle says at a family get-together that, "he was in a rock band once in the 70s", this is the dusty record that he pulls out of the attic for all to listen. You sit there and listen awkwardly for little under half an hour while he regales you with booze-fueled stories of yore that were probably not quite as manic as the reality. The music itself is nothing special, but the sheer fact that it exists is enough to put a smile on your face.
It basically sounds like somebody's jam session that they recorded after midnight for the hell of it.
Jameth, you probably already know most of Guns N Roses, so get that done.
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
The Conet Project (This is almost 5 hours long, so keep that in mind)
Little John - Give The Youth A Try
Astral Matrix- Secret Broadcast
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Hector Zazou- Songs From The Cold Seas
Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook - Sleeps With The Fishes
Moral- And Life Is
Bataille Solaire- Dolby's ON
I do apologize for being not quick to this write up. But other than that, I really love this album. I remember listening to Heartbreaker from the 2000 list and while I do think that album was great, there was something that kept me from going crazy for it. And if I was to guess, it would probably be songs that just hit the listener by being so good. And Gold does that for me. Now if there was a complaint for this album, it would be a few tracks on this album doesn't hit me as much compared to other songs. Or more importantly, feel like a few songs could have been cut to have the experience to be tighter as well as shorter. Otherwise I do enjoy this way more and could see this staying in the Top 20 for this year.
Grade:95
(2)
Chief Astral Matrix is an amazing band name.
(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#50 Love is Here-Starsailor
#58 Just Enough Education To Perform-Stereophonics
#62 Full Collapse-Thursday
#65 Songs In A Minor-Alicia Keys
#67 In Search Of...(Electronic Version)-N.E.R.D
#68 Streethawk: A Seduction-Destroyer
And here is the first clean up for 2000
BEA 2000 Canon List Clean Up #1
#95 The Complete Hot Five and Seven Recordings-Louis Armstrong (It's 4 hours for some context)
After one more album, I'm getting rid of the 2000 option.
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
Well this was a rather interesting album. American primitivism with possibly some Eastern musical influences. Finger picking accoustic guitar that at times went places I didn't expect, and an almost operatic voice (without the perfectionism or pretentiousness) that sounded real and spiritual. Surprisingly for me I enjoyed the almost ambient Leaf In The Wind the most. I got the impression Robbie Basho was someone who followed his own musical path, so while not exactly the sort of thing I listen to much it was unique enough for me to appreciate. I give it a high 7.5/10, 6/11 for 1978, and 79/100 for the '70s.
Luigii there is still not a lot I'm interested in but I don't mind what I've heard of Destroyer so let's go with that.
1. In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic by Kasai Allstars
4. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8 by Kepler Quartet
6. Sings by Patty Waters
7. Dengo by Soungalo Coulibaly
8. Karunyam Volume 1 by Chitravina N. Ravikiran
9. Drums Of Passion by Olatunji
10. Alchemy by Third Ear Band
12. Recycling The Blues & Other Related Stuff by Taj Mahal
15. The Centennial Collection by Robert Johnson (I have heard most of this already on The Complete Recordings)
16. Circle Of Drums by Olatunji
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Damn I was writing my post and spent a while tracking down info on In Search Of by N*E*R*D. So I'll put it here for Luigii's reference when he's assigned it. If there being two versions isn't confusing enough, both versions on streaming appear to be the "rock version." So use this YouTube playlist for the "electronic version": https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73F5191E57388FE1 _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Huh, don't know quite what to make of this after one listen. Musically, it's epic, dense, indulgent, and adventurous. In terms of the rock opera, my understanding of what's going on is 0%. Lyrically, it can be very questionable. "Counting Out Time" made me cringe the whole time, for instance. Anyway, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on, and I want to give it another go sometime, but I'm not totally sold yet. 3/5.
~~~~~
2. Purplepash, this is the only one of those ten I know, and I really like it.
102. [BEA] Back In Black - AC/DC
137. [RYM] The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Live 1966 - The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert - Bob Dylan
140. [BEA] Hot Fuss - The Killers
170. [BEA] Tommy - The Who
172. [BEA] Black Holes And Revelations - Muse
175. [RYM] Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
185. [RYM] Blackwater Park - Opeth
188. [RYM] Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
195. [RYM] The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
206. [BEA] Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & The Dominos _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Extremely obscure late 90s Techno album that sounds very much of it's time period. Just what I wanted. I honestly have no idea where I found this one, and the first two tracks were not even able to be found, but they were short, so it doesn't matter too much.
Baystate, that's an understandable reaction. I've listened to it dozens of times, and the story is nearly incomprehensible, but the music and the performance is so ridiculous that I have to love it.
From one of the most complex rock albums to one of the most simple; listen to Back In Black.
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
The Conet Project (This is almost 5 hours long, so keep that in mind)
Little John - Give The Youth A Try
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Hector Zazou- Songs From The Cold Seas
Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook - Sleeps With The Fishes
Moral- And Life Is
Bataille Solaire- Dolby's ON
Gianni Gebbia- Gianni Gebbia
“Turn around bitch I got a use for you
Besides you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored”
This piece of pungent dogshit is a hall of fame loser. I think GNR did well to ignore contemporary rock clichés and opt for a sound that was behind the times. This album’s aged well sonically, because of that decision. But lyrically/thematically, this album is high camp, and the above lyric is the quintessential piece of evidence for this.
On the other hand, “Sweet Child O’ Mine” feels well out of place. It’s well-rendered, tender, and holds my heartstrings to the flames. It can’t be helped, and I’m not really sure how they pulled that one off. Maybe it’s proof they could have been a great band, if they weren’t so hellbent on being cheesy.
(2)
Chief, give Give The Kids A Try a try.
(3)
From the overall chart (last pick):
35. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
37. The Joshua Tree - U2
40. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
43. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory - Oasis
53. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
63. What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
73. Thriller - Michael Jackson
76. A Night At The Opera - Queen
78. Achtung Baby - U2
79. A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum