This was fantastic. Not quite as good as a few other albums I've heard, but definitely a broad stroke of genius this guy. 4/85.
2. Idler Wheel BayState. Also the mashup as source.
3. RYM top 500
383. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
395. Individual Thought Patterns by Death
414. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
443. South of Heaven by Slayer
476. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
480. Holy Diver by Dio
486. De mysteriis dom Sathanas by Mayhem
487. Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker
488. Bottomless Pit by Death Grips
491. Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh
494. Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous by Big L
495. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
497. The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
499. Transa by Caetano Veloso
That Colin Potter album was only half of the recording on the youtube stream, so I'm not going to add it, since I didn't get a full listen. But, what I heard, I really enjoyed. Improvisational minimal synth with guitar over it; in the vein of Manuel Gottsching, but actually before E2 E4.
Seth, Hosiann Mantra is a Krautrock classic, and one I might add back onto my own overall chart at some point.
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Christina Kubisch โโ Night Flights
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Bubu- Anabelas
The Netherworlds- Pals
Today, I Wrote Nothing by Billy Woods
Some excellent lyrics on this one. But it was to be expected since it's Billy Woods. The production is mostly great, Elucid features a lot and his lines are nice too. Some dull moments but not a lot of them, however the album didn't really stand out to me as particularly interesting as a whole. A lot of short tracks about a lot of different themes, with several different producers. A bit incoherent, maybe that's the problem. Several standouts are U-Boats, Zulu Tolstoy, Scales, Dark Woods, True Stories and Borrowed Time. 8/10
(2)
Wongraven chief
(3)
Norman Bates's Top 100 Albums of 2010s (5 to go)
4. Odd Nosdam - T R I S H
8. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
9. Actress - R.I.P.
11. Thomas Brinkmann - A 1000 Keys
12. Delroy Edwards - Hangin' At The Beach
17. รine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I And II
18 Nadja - Sv
20. Sarah Neufeld - Hero Brother
22. Julia Holter - Ekstasis
25. The Fun Years - One Quarter Decent _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
This was pretty good. It was on one edge of the uncanny valley a few times into that new age world I don't like, and then other times on the ambient side of things I do like and some times it sat in the valley just right. So minus some cheese factors at times I could see why someone would choose to listen to this over Pink Floyd or the such who also played in this world around the same time, but I'd still choose Pink Floyd due to the rock edge given (a beat). 4/85.
2. One off the top of the unknown shelf: Odd Nosdam - T R I S H
3. RYM Top 500
383. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
395. Individual Thought Patterns by Death
414. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
443. South of Heaven by Slayer
476. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
480. Holy Diver by Dio
486. De mysteriis dom Sathanas by Mayhem
487. Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker
488. Bottomless Pit by Death Grips
494. Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous by Big L
495. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
497. The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
499. Transa by Caetano Veloso
A dungeon synth album with elements of medieval folk mixed in. This stuff is great to set a mood, and if I was a DND playing person, then I would likely have this going during a campaign. Not that amazing in the grand scheme of things though.
Seth, Bottomless Pit is slowly becoming my favorite of Death Grips.
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Christina Kubisch โโ Night Flights
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Bubu- Anabelas
Mick Karn- The Tooth Mother
Daphne Oram โ- Electronic Sound Patterns
(Accidentally erased this one, so I put it back on). The Netherworlds- Pals
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
About a week ago I listened to Blood Sugar Sex Magik, an old favourite of mine that's in my decade chart, so it was good timing to listen to this now. I'm missing the funk here and there just doesn't seem to be as much life and spunk to this. After the success of Californication it's like they became easy listening alternative rock...almost dad rock....but it was an easy listen, and I am a dad, so I did enjoy this but there was nothing exciting. Also like the other RHCP albums I've heard, including Blood Sugar Sex Magik, it could do with some trimming, and the singles are the best tracks. 7/10, and 34/45 for 2002.
Rocka, Christina Kubisch โโ Night Flights sounds bit different. Might be interesting.
Now for my favourite decade, the 90's. Time to catch up on some I missed out on at the time and haven't gotten around to yet...and possibly some I've forgotten that I've heard. I'm looking forward to this.
BEA best of the 90's (5 picks)
34. Metallica by Metallica
38. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain by Pavement
43. รnima by Tool
46. Dirt by Alice In Chains
55. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin
56. Heaven Or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins
57 .Music Has The Right To Children by Boards Of Canada
61. Blue Lines by Massive Attack
63. Perfect From Now On by Built To Spill
64. The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers
Purple I've always thought that By The Way was their most consistent record. Not the best, but the only song that I'd confidently throw out is Warm Tape. That's maybe just nostalgia talking heh. And Venice Queen is possibly their best song, what a great piece of music. And they probably are dad rock at this point, but who cares ๐
(1)
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
T R I S H by Odd Nosdam
Some pretty solid ambient tracks, sometimes mixed with glitchy production typical of Odd Nosdam (of Clouddead). But unfortunately it wasn't long enough to really have an impact on me. In 6 songs and 25 minutes running time it didn't manage to create an atmosphere, or at least the atmosphere didn't last long enough to be captivating. The songs were too short and especially the 2 shortest tracks (Lonjae and Equal) weren't very good. It's a cassette rather than an album, and it very much felt like that. It sounded like half-baked Fennesz a bit. There were some good cuts (Ladders, Olynn and the title track), but this is 7/10.
(2)
Perfect From Now On. One of the best indie records of that time, and the follow up is equally good imo.
(3)
Norman Bates' Top 100 Albums of 2010s (4 to go)
8. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
9. Actress - R.I.P.
11. Thomas Brinkmann - A 1000 Keys
12. Delroy Edwards - Hangin' At The Beach
17. รine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I And II
18 Nadja - Sv
20. Sarah Neufeld - Hero Brother
22. Julia Holter - Ekstasis
25. The Fun Years - One Quarter Decent
26. Roc Marciano - Reloaded _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
First track is incredible, then the next two tracks are OK. The first one has so many different bizarre sounds that evoke a lot of images. It's called "The Cat's Dream", there is literally a point where it sounds like a cat is purring. I'm not even sure how she does that.
Ledzep, try Actress.
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Bubu- Anabelas
Mick Karn- The Tooth Mother
Daphne Oram โ- Electronic Sound Patterns
The Netherworlds- Pals
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Fiona Apple's albums have been on my to-do list for years, but this is the first one I've gotten around to, so I don't have the same reference points others might. This album has instrumentals that are often interesting and creative, paired well with strong vocals. The songwriting is good throughout, with just a couple that I would consider great songs as of first listen. It's possible that some will click with me more later, but as of now I haven't fully bought in. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Chief, take it from the top.
~~~~~
3. BEA / RYM Chart Mashup
BEA 172. Black Holes And Revelations - Museย
RYM 180. Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tullย
RYM 188. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
RYM 197. The Seer - Swans
RYM 206. The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
BEA 207. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek & The Dominos
BEA 208. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
RYM 214. โฆAnd Justice For All - Metallica
BEA 217. Hotel California - Eagles
BEA 218. Urban Hymns - The Verve
The source in my next post should be:
a) Continue through the top forum poster ranking - next stop Jimmy Dread
b) BEA / RYM Chart Mashup
c) RYM Friends Chart _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
One of those bandcamp artists that makes dozens of recordings over a couple of years and then disappears. A nice little field recording, abstract soundscape that doesn't ask much of the listener, but is pleasant enough during it's brisk 22 minute runtime.
Baystate, listen to Sabbath next, then go to Jimmy's chart.
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Bubu- Anabelas
Mick Karn- The Tooth Mother
Daphne Oram โ- Electronic Sound Patterns
The Netherworlds- Pals
Delta-Sleep-Inducing Peptide - Abduction of Mind
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum