Love his damaged sounding voice, enjoy listening to his lyrics (House Where Nobody Lives especially), and the music transports me to another place and time where I am just feeling those blues. My favourites were the two I already knew well, Big In Japan, and Picture In A Frame. But I also enjoyed some of the stranger, noisier tracks like Filipino Box Spring Hog, and Eyeball Kid as individual tracks. The rest of the album was all about the atmosphere evoked, and despite a couple of the earlier songs possibly dragging on a bit too long (e.g. Get Behind The Mule), I didn't feel the album was too long, even with sixteen tracks. 8/10, and 18/53 in my 1999 chart.
Eminem looks out of place on that list. Let's get rid of that one.
Top 39 Music Albums of the 1990s by Luigii (3 picks left)
4. Earth & Nightfall by John Beltran
6. Amplified Heart by Everything But The Girl
8. Big Calm by Morcheeba
11. Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps
13. Super Mario: Yoshi Island Original Sound Version by 近藤 浩治 [Koji Kondo]
16. Don Solaris by 808 State
17. Baduizm by Erykah Badu
18. Older by George Michael
19. Impossible Princess by Kylie Minogue
21. Bridging The Gap by Roger
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Well, this was way better than I thought it'd be. The vocals and guitar sometimes reminded me of what I like about in an aeroplane of the sea, but it also reminded me of a comment that Ringo said - the Beatles would record while under the influence of LSD or drugs, whatever... and then they'd go listen to it and it was actually just shit. So supposedly nothing they released was as drug induced as many were lead to believe. Perhaps intial brainstorms were, but never what was left on the record (so the story goes). This record on the other hand, sounds very drug induced or at least dude had already fried his brain on LSD. Anyway, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I did like it better than Piper or other early Pink Floyd - nothing on this record was annoying. It just also felt very in the moment (to it's benefit most times I suppose, but perhaps not overall) - idk those are opinions - I never read up on anything. Maybe dude was 100% clean. I have heard dude was in a sad state/fried his brain, but when exactly, dunno. I liked the dual tracking of his voice though, it made it full and really one of the stronger points of the record. It also had a warmth to it that was lacking on early pink floyd records, as "mad" as the lyrics were on here, they weren't annoying.
2. 17. Baduizm by Erykah Badu - that's the one I'd chose next
3. Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (589/1001)
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Face 1960s 1968 (needs rating)
Traffic Traffic 1960s 1968
Basket of Light Pentangle 1960s 1969
Mott the Hoople Mott the Hoople 1960s 1969
Ananda Shankar Ananda Shankar 1970s 1970
Gasoline Alley Rod Stewart 1970s 1970
Stephen Stills Stephen Stills 1970s 1970
Absolutely Live The Doors 1970s 1970 (I've watched the Hollywood Bowl performance, but don't remember hearing this)
John Barleycorn Must Die Traffic 1970s 1970
Trafalgar Bee Gees 1970s 1971
If I Could Only Remember My Name David Crosby 1970s 1971Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton 1970s 1971Madman Across the Water Elton John 1970s 1971Tarkus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1970s 1971A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Faces 1970s 1971Live! Fela Kuti & Africa 70 with Ginger Baker 1970s 1971Teenage Head Flamin' Groovies 1970s 1971White Light Gene Clark 1970s 1971Shaft: Music from the Soundtrack Isaac Hayes 1970s 1971John Prine John Prine 1970s 1971Songs of Love and Hate Leonard Cohen 1970s 1971Manassas Manassas 1970s 1971Every Picture Tells a Story Rod Stewart 1970s 1971Let's Stay Together Al Green 1972Transa Caetano Veloso 1972American Gothic David Ackles 1972Made in Japan Deep Purple 1972Eagles Eagles 1972Pictures at an Exhibition Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1972Home Is Where the Music Is Hugh Masekela 1972Will the Circle be Unbroken Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1972Sail Away Randy Newman 1972Slayed? Slade 1972The Slider T. Rex 1972All Directions The Temptations 1972Greetings From LA Tim Buckley 1972Something/Anything? Todd Rundgren 1972The World Is a Ghetto WAR 1972Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version Yasunori Mitsuda (1972) 1972Space Ritual Hawkwind 19733 + 3 Isley Brothers 1973Solid Air John Martyn 1973Countdown to Ecstasy Steely Dan 1973Bongo Rock The Incredible Bongo Band 1973Next The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 1973A Wizard, A True Star Todd Rundgren 1973American Graffiti Soundtrack Various Artists 1973Honky Tonk HeroesWaylon Jennings 1973Tres Hombres ZZ Top 1973Sheet Music 10cc 1974Bad Company Bad Company 1974461 Ocean Boulevard Eric Clapton 1974No Other Gene Clark 1974The Grand Tour George Jones 1974Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron 1974Grievous Angel Gram Parsons 1974Court and Spark Joni Mitchell 1974Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974Paul Simon in Concert: Live Rhymin' Paul Simon 1974Good Old Boys Randy Newman 1974I Want to See the Bright Lights Richard & Linda Thompson 1974Country Life Roxy Music 1974Inspiration Information Shuggie Otis 1974Kimono My House Sparks 1974Pretzel Logic Steely Dan 1974Fulfillingness' First Finale Stevie Wonder1974Phaedra Tangerine Dream 1974It's Too Late to Stop Now Van Morrison 1974Marcus Garvey Burning Spear 1975There's No Place Like America Today Curtis Mayfield 1975Young Americans David Bowie 1975Born to Be With You Dion 1975That's the Way of the World Earth, Wind & Fire 1975Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris 1975The Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell 1975The Köln Concert Keith Jarrett 1975Go Girl Crazy! The Dictators 1975Nighthawks at the Diner Tom Waits 1975Godbluff Van der Graaf Generator (1975) 1975Red Headed Stranger Willie Nelson 1975Joan Armtrading Joan Armtrading 1976Hejira Joni Mitchell 1976Music From the Penguin Café Penguin Cafe Orchestra 1976Frampton Comes Alive! Peter Frampton 1976Legalize It Peter Tosh 1976Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson 1977New Boots and Panties!! Ian Dury 1977One World John Martyn 1977Hard Again Muddy Waters 1977Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1977Rattus Norvegicus The Stranglers 1977Heavy Weather Weather Report 1977Babylon By Bus Bob Marley And The Wailers 1978C'est Chic Chic 1978Honky Tonk Masquerade Joe Ely 1978Real Life Magazine 1978Here, My DearMarvin Gaye 1978Dub Housing Pere Ubu 1978Public Image Limited Public Image Limited 1978Shalimar Rahul Dev Burman 1978The Scream Siouxsie & The Banshees 1978Crossing the Red Sea With The Adverts The Adverts 1978The Only Ones The Only Ones 1978Duck Stab/Buster & Glen The Residents 1978Eternally Yours The Saints 1978Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy 1978D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle Throbbing Gristle 1978Siembra Willie Colón & Rubén Blades 1978Germ-Free Adolescents X-Ray Spex 1978Risqué Chic 1979Armed Forces Elvis Costello 1979GI Germs 1979Movies Holger Czukay 1979Broken English Marianne Faithfull 1979Metal Box Public Image Limited 1979We Are Family Sister Sledge 1979Street LifeThe Crusaders1979Machine Gun Etiquette The Damned 1979Live at the Witch Trials The Fall 1979Reggatta De Blank The Police 1979Undertones The Undertones1979
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Ok, so this isn't an actual album, but I think there was one released in Japan, but I just can't find it. Anyways, if you ever played these games (we even had a few pads for our gym class in elementary school) then you missed out on some of the best cheesy dance tunes ever made. This 1st mix is probably the best, but I want to check out the soundtracks to some of the other games to hear what else they've got going on.
🤣 Well not that exact guy, but I have. Just wasn't sure if that was the actual soundtrack on your list or some other album titled that ironically. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
babyBlueSedanUsed to be sort of blind, now can sort of seeProfile
There aren't many hip hop albums in the top 1,000 that I haven't heard, but this was one of them. And I'll be honest, as I was listening it was difficult to put aside my preconceived notions of what it would be. I've never been a fan of Eminem, falling into the camp who thinks he's a good rapper but is turned off by his subject matter. I enjoy both The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show to an extent, but in the end the rapping isn't quite good enough for me to put up with the things Eminem is saying. For the most part, this one is similar. His rhyming wasn't quite as impressive as usual on the first half, but it definitely got better as the album went on. The production is better than I remember his production being in the past, probably because Dr. Dre is in charge here. Speaking of Dre: as I was listening to the beginning of this I was thinking about how I give Dre and other rappers a pass for their lyrics but rag on Eminem. I mean, The Chronic is super misogynistic and has a lot of unnecessary violence, and despite that it's one of my favorite rap albums. As I was thinking that, almost on cue, the second verse of "Guilty Conscience" hit and reminded me what the difference is: other rappers don't turn stuff like that into a joke. Is that a big difference? I'm not sure. But the fact that Eminem can throw whatever he wants out there and make it seem like he's totally disconnected from the impact of the things he's saying can have rubs me the wrong way. Later on in that song Eminem brings up the woman Dre assaulted earlier in the decade, which is super weird because Dre is featured on that track. What's the point of any of it? Why is it supposed to be funny? I'm not sure. I guess he's trying to be provocative to get people's attention and to give a glimpse of how bad his life has been. I don't deny that Eminem had a rough childhood, and I might have found a bit of this funny when I was younger. But now it just sounds silly, from the the childish skits to the mentions of random celebrities (what is this, Family Guy?) to all the talk about how this album is too controversial to release (I'm sure the label knew this thing was going to sell well). I think the song I disliked the most was "97' Bonnie & Clyde," partially because of the violence and partially because all the baby talk was annoying, not to mention how uncomfortably the two work when put together. "My Fault" was another lowlight as it tried to be both a song about accidentally drugging a woman and a song about making jokes at her expense, which kind of undermined the whole thing. Credit where credit's due, I did think the comparatively introspective "If I Had" was a decent song, and there were a few other moments I thought Eminem said something genuinely insightful about his life and the things that made him the way he is (or was Slim saying those things? Kind of impossible to tell). But overall this type of button pushing humor just isn't for me.
(Edit: I should add that I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying this. I'm certainly not one to judge anyone based on the music they like, given my aforementioned love for The Chronic and my enjoyment of noise rock, which delves into topics just as violent as the ones here. I love Big Black's Atomizer for example, but it has some questionable songs on it. My biggest problem here is how it's all played as a joke and treats these subjects as if joking about them can't possibly can't do any harm. At least in the case of albums like Atomizer - and that's kind of weak "at least" - the music is meant to be dark and it sounds like it's trying to make you uncomfortable. That's not really the case here. Like I said, if I had heard this in middle school I might have eaten it up. Listening to it today, with no nostalgiat, was not a pleasurable experience.)
I haven't heard any of those Seth, so I'll choose this one to help you finish up the 60's.
BEA's top 1,000 albums:
524. Hysteria by Def Leppard
545. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac
571. Making Movies by Dire Straits
576. Pure Heroine by Lorde
607. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater
622. A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra
629. Wincing the Night Away by The Shins
644. The Nightfly by Donald Fagen
648. Live at the Apollo by James Brown
652. Nursery Crime by Genesis _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
For sure she has a great voice, and it really suits this R&B neo-soul style, but it's not something I really enjoy listening to that much. It's more pleasant background music rather than an album to sit and listen to. The beats are nicely chilled with an almost trip hop vibe to them, but to my ears they all sounded so similar on nearly every track, that really the whole album just came down to appreciating her voice, and after a while I started to lose interest in that. Not bad, just not for me. 6/10, and 48/49 for 1997.
Top 39 Music Albums of the 1990s by Luigii (2 picks left)
4. Earth & Nightfall by John Beltran
6. Amplified Heart by Everything But The Girl
8. Big Calm by Morcheeba
11. Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps
13. Super Mario: Yoshi Island Original Sound Version by 近藤 浩治 [Koji Kondo]
16. Don Solaris by 808 State
18. Older by George Michael
19. Impossible Princess by Kylie Minogue
21. Bridging The Gap by Roger
22. Seal II by Seal
This album was going strong through it's first 4 tracks, but then the final 23 minute slog really brought it down. It was some varied and atmospheric ambient dub kind of stuff, that didn't overstay it's welcome. That is until the final track that seemed to go on forever. I'll probably be listening to some of the first 4 tracks again, but I'll leave that final one alone.
John Beltran makes some chill New Age music.
Justin Berkovi- After the Night
Benjamin Lew- Nebka
Graham Lambkin - Amateur Doubles
William Eaton- Music By William Eaton
Alan Watts- This Is It
Herbst9 - Buried Under Time And Sand
Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Hmmm - the music was pretty dang good - guitarist especially was great. Reminded me a bit of what I like about early Steve Miller Band or even sometimes Grateful Dead, but really the lyrics were pretty dreadful. Overall a dud for me. I hate it when good music is bad for me as there really isn't anything wrong with this I suppose - some sap factor sometimes, but damn that guitarist is so good... why am I such a downer? I think I'd T-REX over these guys any day... but why and what makes me say that when this is only kind of like T-REX, not a lot like it...? I dunno, sum of parts are a negative for me somehow. Even their hit Feelin' Alright, I like the Joe Crocker version WAAAY better... 🤣 - is it the vocals? - good music ideas not executed well somehow - tone is actually good so it's more the actual playing, idk... I'm at a loss other than I didn't like it - 3/75.
2. NM - sorry Chief, take yours from the top too.
One thing I learned from the Hip-Hop Evolution "documentary" on NetFlix right now is that Eminem got famous off slamming people in rap battles. That's his thing. He didn't get famous for being gangster or for being the MC at cool parties or getting picked up at a club, he got famous off slamming people in rap battles. So of course he's kind of an egotistical prick, and even if he didn't want to be, that's what his fans want him to be... idk, it was enlightening at least to understand why the dude has an ax to pick/TRIES to push all the wrong buttons. But you aren't wrong, the audience is totally meant for 14 year olds.
Anyway, sorry that was a drag of an album PurplePash - I know none of those others/by name only - so maybe take it off the top for something better I hope.
3. Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (590/1001)
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Face 1960s 1968 (needs rating)
Basket of Light Pentangle 1960s 1969
Mott the Hoople Mott the Hoople 1960s 1969
Ananda Shankar Ananda Shankar 1970s 1970
Gasoline Alley Rod Stewart 1970s 1970
Stephen Stills Stephen Stills 1970s 1970
Absolutely Live The Doors 1970s 1970 (I've watched the Hollywood Bowl performance, but don't remember hearing this)
John Barleycorn Must Die Traffic 1970s 1970
Trafalgar Bee Gees 1970s 1971
If I Could Only Remember My Name David Crosby 1970s 1971
Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton 1970s 1971Madman Across the Water Elton John 1970s 1971Tarkus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1970s 1971A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Faces 1970s 1971Live! Fela Kuti & Africa 70 with Ginger Baker 1970s 1971Teenage Head Flamin' Groovies 1970s 1971White Light Gene Clark 1970s 1971Shaft: Music from the Soundtrack Isaac Hayes 1970s 1971John Prine John Prine 1970s 1971Songs of Love and Hate Leonard Cohen 1970s 1971Manassas Manassas 1970s 1971Every Picture Tells a Story Rod Stewart 1970s 1971Let's Stay Together Al Green 1972Transa Caetano Veloso 1972American Gothic David Ackles 1972Made in Japan Deep Purple 1972Eagles Eagles 1972Pictures at an Exhibition Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1972Home Is Where the Music Is Hugh Masekela 1972Will the Circle be Unbroken Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1972Sail Away Randy Newman 1972Slayed? Slade 1972The Slider T. Rex 1972All Directions The Temptations 1972Greetings From LA Tim Buckley 1972Something/Anything? Todd Rundgren 1972The World Is a Ghetto WAR 1972Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version Yasunori Mitsuda (1972) 1972Space Ritual Hawkwind 19733 + 3 Isley Brothers 1973Solid Air John Martyn 1973Countdown to Ecstasy Steely Dan 1973Bongo Rock The Incredible Bongo Band 1973Next The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 1973A Wizard, A True Star Todd Rundgren 1973American Graffiti Soundtrack Various Artists 1973Honky Tonk HeroesWaylon Jennings 1973Tres Hombres ZZ Top 1973Sheet Music 10cc 1974Bad Company Bad Company 1974461 Ocean Boulevard Eric Clapton 1974No Other Gene Clark 1974The Grand Tour George Jones 1974Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron 1974Grievous Angel Gram Parsons 1974Court and Spark Joni Mitchell 1974Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974Paul Simon in Concert: Live Rhymin' Paul Simon 1974Good Old Boys Randy Newman 1974I Want to See the Bright Lights Richard & Linda Thompson 1974Country Life Roxy Music 1974Inspiration Information Shuggie Otis 1974Kimono My House Sparks 1974Pretzel Logic Steely Dan 1974Fulfillingness' First Finale Stevie Wonder1974Phaedra Tangerine Dream 1974It's Too Late to Stop Now Van Morrison 1974Marcus Garvey Burning Spear 1975There's No Place Like America Today Curtis Mayfield 1975Young Americans David Bowie 1975Born to Be With You Dion 1975That's the Way of the World Earth, Wind & Fire 1975Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris 1975The Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell 1975The Köln Concert Keith Jarrett 1975Go Girl Crazy! The Dictators 1975Nighthawks at the Diner Tom Waits 1975Godbluff Van der Graaf Generator (1975) 1975Red Headed Stranger Willie Nelson 1975Joan Armtrading Joan Armtrading 1976Hejira Joni Mitchell 1976Music From the Penguin Café Penguin Cafe Orchestra 1976Frampton Comes Alive! Peter Frampton 1976Legalize It Peter Tosh 1976Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson 1977New Boots and Panties!! Ian Dury 1977One World John Martyn 1977Hard Again Muddy Waters 1977Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1977Rattus Norvegicus The Stranglers 1977Heavy Weather Weather Report 1977Babylon By Bus Bob Marley And The Wailers 1978C'est Chic Chic 1978Honky Tonk Masquerade Joe Ely 1978Real Life Magazine 1978Here, My DearMarvin Gaye 1978Dub Housing Pere Ubu 1978Public Image Limited Public Image Limited 1978Shalimar Rahul Dev Burman 1978The Scream Siouxsie & The Banshees 1978Crossing the Red Sea With The Adverts The Adverts 1978The Only Ones The Only Ones 1978Duck Stab/Buster & Glen The Residents 1978Eternally Yours The Saints 1978Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy 1978D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle Throbbing Gristle 1978Siembra Willie Colón & Rubén Blades 1978Germ-Free Adolescents X-Ray Spex 1978Risqué Chic 1979Armed Forces Elvis Costello 1979GI Germs 1979Movies Holger Czukay 1979Broken English Marianne Faithfull 1979Metal Box Public Image Limited 1979We Are Family Sister Sledge 1979Street LifeThe Crusaders1979Machine Gun Etiquette The Damned 1979Live at the Witch Trials The Fall 1979Reggatta De Blank The Police 1979Undertones The Undertones1979
Last edited by RoundTheBend on 03/02/2020 05:52; edited 3 times in total
That Traffic album is really frustrating. Three excellent songs (Feelin’ Alright, 40,000 Headmen, No Time To Live) bobbing around in a pool of mediocrity. One track you’re being blown away, and two others you feel like you’re listening to jaunty children’s songs.
I guess the band as a whole is frustrating to listen to pre-Barleycorn. They had three capable songwriters, two great vocalists, and a catalog that didn’t align with the talent.
At least those three songs are there. _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum