First of all, God bless Mary J. Blige for getting Braveheart Party dropped from the tracklist shortly after Stillmatic's original release. I am not going to listen to it, but I'm confident it is a monstrosity based on the rest of the Bravehearts' oeuvre. Second of all, what a ridiculously terrible cover. And now for the music. There are a couple great songs here, the best being One Mic. Stillmatic also contains the legendary Ether, a brutal diss track that became a verb, but one that has aged worse than Takeover due to the pervasiveness of its homophobia. I'm still unsure of how I feel about it as a song, but it's an important part of hip-hop history. The first half of Stillmatic is very solid, albeit nowhere close to its namesake. But things fall off in the second half, with too many mediocre beats and corny bars. Overall, it's still a pretty good album in spite of this. But the fact that it's #3 in his discography on BEA while The Lost Tapes is #6 is an indictment of BEA's collective hip-hop taste. 3/5.
~~~~~
2. Take it from the top, Chief.
~~~~~
3. Top Artists Continued
111. Bob Marley: 12. Confrontation [Bob Marley & The Wailers]
112. Guns N' Roses: 2. Use Your Illusion II
113. The Stooges: 4. Ready To Die [Iggy And The Stooges]
114. Paul McCartney: 2. Ram [Paul & Linda McCartney]
115. Joanna Newsom: 6. Yarn And Glue
116. A Tribe Called Quest: 6. The Love Movement
117. John Lennon: 3. Mind Games
118. Dire Straits: 2. Making Movies
119. Creedence Clearwater Revival: 7. Pendulum
120. Paul Simon: 4. The Rhythm Of The Saints _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
Well that was unusual. An album of short experiments in rhythm and percussion (apart from the final track - a monologue set to music, which was rather enjoyable actually) that sounds like it comes from another world. Quite a fascinating one-off listen that I am not sure I would return to. Although this was my first exposure to Moondog, not having even heard of him before, and I would willingly explore his works further. My interest has been piqued. 7/10
Top 62 Music Albums of the 1950s by Jameth (3 picks left)
2. Inca Taqui by Yma Sumac
3. I Wonder As I Wander (Carols And Love Songs) by John Jacob Niles
4. The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert by Benny Goodman
5. Billie Holiday (1959) by Billie Holiday
8. Lonely Girl by Julie London
10. Anita Sings The Most by Anita O'Day
11. The Original Talking Union With The Almanac Singers And Other Union Songs With Pete Seeger & Chorus by Pete Seeger & Chorus / The Almanac Singers
12. Black Coffee by Peggy Lee
13. Little Girl Blue by Nina Simone
15. Tunes & Songs Of Finland by John Stark & Aino Karelia
Alejandra & Aeron โ- Be Mine
Todd Edwards- Prima Edizione
Alan Licht โ Plays Well
Ragnar Grippe- Sand
Voice Crack- Earflash
Scald - Will Of The Gods Is Great Power
Carbonized - Disharmonization
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
This album sounds great. The vocals (especially interplay between lead and backing), the musicianship, and the arrangements are mostly ear candy to me. The progressive flourishes are pulled off really well, and so are the more raw and ramshackle tracks. But the songwriting doesn't live up to those standards, which is ironic for someone as gifted as McCartney. The most glaring example of a great-sounding song marred by iffy writing is Smile Away. More common on Ram are really good songs that are lacking the caliber of lyrics/hooks/structure they need to be great. The McCartneys do capture holistic greatness several times, but not consistently enough for me to go beyond a high 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Amazing! An album I know and like on your list!
121. Jethro Tull: 1. Thick As A Brick
122. Slowdive: N/A. Excuses For Travellers by Mojave 3 [exhausted discography]
123. Kraftwerk: 6. Electric Cafรฉ
124. New Order: 7. Get Ready
125. Rage Against The Machine: 2. The Battle Of Los Angeles
126. Peter Gabriel: 2. Peter Gabriel III
127. Elton John: 1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
128. Deep Purple: 1. Machine Head
129. Beastie Boys: 3. Ill Communication
130. Richard David James: 7. Come To Daddy [Aphex Twin] _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
What a peculiar album this is. One of the comments on RYM said it best. "How does this have 4,000 ratings, but only 3,900 listens on Spotify?" Do people only like one song on this album? Seems strange. This is another one of those "ahead of it's time"sounding things, and I could tell that from the first track. The production is so much more subdued and refined than the contemporary blaring production of Britpop. Although it would seem by the acclaim that it might have been a counter to that scene that people enjoyed, I guess it has gained it's popularity in the years since. That's good, because this is one not to miss. And, it's 35 minutes long, which gets me all kind of hot and bothered. Will listen again in the near future.
Baystate, you know I'm a sucker for Peter Gabriel, so listen to III.
Alejandra & Aeron โ- Be Mine
Todd Edwards- Prima Edizione
Alan Licht โ Plays Well
Ragnar Grippe- Sand
Voice Crack- Earflash
Scald - Will Of The Gods Is Great Power
Carbonized - Disharmonization
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Untrance - Deleted Seniors
The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun by Natural Snow Buildings
I was expecting some kind of a massive, weird 2 and a half hour epic from what I've heard of the album. The "2 and half hour" part is correct, but the rest isn't quite true. It feels very monotonous at times, it doesn't flow particularly well and to be honest it was kind of a slog to get through it. The songs on their own were mostly good, except maybe "Felt Presence, Ghostly Humming" which was REALLY long. However there's no real highlights, and when the album goes from dark/psychedelic folk to a drone piece for the n-th time, it doesn't feel very fresh or interesting anymore. Maybe if one album was this weird neofolk and dark/psychedelic folk and the other was drone and ambient music, it wouldn't feel as disjointed and you could just enjoy it as 2 good albums in juxtaposition. Despite that, it's a really commendable album overall, there's a lot of stuff they try, I appreciate the musicianship and I did enjoy big parts of it despite the flaws. 7/10
(2)
Check if the Licht guy really plays as well as he says.
(3)
I'm on a vacation for a month or so, and my internet will suck. I have downloaded some albums I've not listened to yet, so that'll be my next source. I'll go back to RYM metal/SquishypuffDave/Xxnu99etxX sometime in late August.
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
M.I.A. - Kala
Chromatics - Night Drive
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
Slowdive - Pygmalion
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Nadah El Shazly - Ahwar
Busdriver - Temporary Forever
John Coltrane - Soultrane _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Holy shit. He plays well. He plays very well. This is one of the best guitar improvisation albums I've ever heard, and it was a live performance. (Which I guess would be all guitar improvisation albums?) I'll go as far to say that this would be a great entry point for someone that wants to give some improvisational music a try that hasn't liked it in the past. It's still very loopy, repetitive, and drony, but it's not quite as harsh sounding as other improvisational guitar players. Although it can get pretty loud for the last ten minutes of the first track. It actually might have more in common with something like Manuel Gottsching's e2 e4, but instead of proto-techno, it's reverby americana.[/i]
(record scratch)
HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE.
Just when I'm thinking that I've heard it all the second track on this thing samples Donna Summer and Captain Beefheart while Licht plays guitar over it. This is going on my overall chart, which currently only has two albums on it. This is what I'm wanting though, something to come along and catch me completely off guard.
Alejandra & Aeron โ- Be Mine
Todd Edwards- Prima Edizione
Ragnar Grippe- Sand
Voice Crack- Earflash
Scald - Will Of The Gods Is Great Power
Carbonized - Disharmonization
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Untrance - Deleted Seniors
Patty Pravo- Concerto Per Patty
I've heard this one before but I didn't have a rating. Anyways it was a great relisten because I really like Silver Apples debut. I may not be as big of a fan as Chief though ๐ First time I've heard of them was in this video, and Oscillations sounded ahead of its time by at least 5 years. It was Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Cluster all in one, and it was several years before any of them. And even those 3 bands were ahead of their time! The whole record is mad consistent, every song is intriguing in one way or another, and my favourite may be Seagreen Serenades. Oscillations is the iconic song, Lovefingers sounds like a proto-ambient pop piece with the droney rhythm and the mesmerising intro. And that's just the first 3 songs, the rest are awesome too. Program, Whirly-Bird, Dancing Gods, Misty Mountain... Pretty much every song deserves at least a sentence or two, but I'm not gonna go there.
And you know what's best? It doesn't sound outdated half a century after its release. 8.5 or 9/10
Let's just say I'm glad that the techno list is over.
Ledzep, Busdriver is my pick.
Alejandra & Aeron โ- Be Mine
Todd Edwards- Prima Edizione
Ragnar Grippe- Sand
Voice Crack- Earflash
Scald - Will Of The Gods Is Great Power
Carbonized - Disharmonization
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Untrance - Deleted Seniors
Patty Pravo- Concerto Per Patty
Fog- Ether Teeth
This bore a strong resemblance to Teulu Yncl Sam by Sidan, which some of you have heard. Both albums feature five girls singing in a choral folk style, but unlike the Sidan album, this one doesn't feature any pop/rock backing. Instead, the songs are nearer to a cappella, featuring either spare piano or classical guitar accompaniment ("Russian Round" is a cappella). It's also in English. Yet another parallel, both albums close with a farewell track..."Adieu" for Cinque Souvenir and "Ffarwel" for Teulu Yncl Sam. It's probably a coincidence, but I have to wonder if one group had a chance to hear the other's album before they recorded their own, or if these two albums were part of a larger trend and there are more albums like them floating around out there.
Anywho, it's a pleasant and ingenuous listen on the whole. But, there's also some neat vocal technique on display here. "Loser" features sophisticated rhythm and counterpoint, for instance. That track was a standout to me that I've played a few times, but I'm sure there's other technical tidbits throughout the album that I'll need to go back and find at some point.
I wish I could turn up some more info on the group, but there doesn't seem to be any out there. I'm not even entirely sure the album is Cinque Souvenir by Cinque Souvenir, and not Souvenir by Cinque. Someone refers to it as the latter within one of the handful of links I was able to follow. Cinque makes sense for a group of five, and "Souvenir" makes sense as a title. "Cinque Souvenir" is poor grammar, and the two even have opposite orientations on the cover. But, it's Cinque Souvenir anywhere else I've looked, so I'll leave it there. I guess wrestling with the name of an old, self-released album is a true sign of obscurity.
// 2
I'm not sure if Deleted Seniors or Ether Teeth is the worse album title. Go with the latter, though.
2. Tara /--/ Rigs Of The Time
3. Sister Janet Mead /--/ The Lord's Prayer
5. Goliard /--/ Fortune My Foe
6. ๅฑฑๅดใใณ [Hako Yamasaki] /--/ ้ฃใปใณใปใพใปใ (Tobimasu)
7. Sue Walker /--/ The Bard And I
8. Ann Tholsted /--/ Ann Tholsted
9. Janelle Richey /--/ Remembering
10. Trevor Swadling /--/ Endless Surprise
11. Cristal Webb /โ/ Misty Morning
12. Nic Jones /--/ Ballads And Songs _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum