Honor Killed The Samurai by Ka
I loved Ka's newest Descendants of Cain, and he's been on my shortlist for some time regardless. This maybe doesn't reach the highs that his 2020 effort does, but it's incredible when listened to in one sitting. The true album experience, just what I expected based on Descendants of Cain. Now I might be a bit drunk, but I think it's safe to say it's gonna land on my 2010s chart. Somewhere. Gonna give it another thorough listen tomorrow. 8.5/10
(2)
In The Wake Of Poseidon is a good and underrated one.
(3)
RYM metal top 100 / SquishypuffDave's Top 100 Greatest Albums / Xxnu99etxX Top 100 Greatest Albums
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
21. VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision
24. Gum Takes Tooth - Mirrors Fold
27. Geinoh Yamashirogumi - ่ผชๅปปไบค้ฟๆฅฝ [Ecophony Rinne]
29. Oren Ambarchi - Grapes From The Estate
5) Songs: Ohia - Ghost Tropic
13) White Suns - Totem _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Of course I have heard of Joan Baez but for some reason I never knew anything about her, so going into this I was not even aware of what genre and style her music was. I think I was expecting some more vocal jazz or R&B. So I was pleasantly surprised to get some finger picking acoustic guitar folk singing. And oh my, what an impressive, powerful voice she has. I thought the first few tracks on the album were really strong, and it finished with another couple of strong songs, but the whole album was very pleasant, and pleasing to the ear. One of the better early '60s folk albums I've heard. I give it a good 7.5/10, and 6/10 for 1960 albums I've heard so far.
I'm not sure I'm going to like it, but I'm sort of interested to hear what VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision sounds like Zep.
1960 albums from a combo of player's charts (3 picks left)
42. Have Guitar, Will Travel by Bo Diddley (Tha1ChiefRocka '60s decade chart)
2. Charles Ives: Symphony No. 2 by Leonard Bernstein / New York Philharmonic (Jameth 1960 year chart)
3. Blues In Orbit by Duke Ellington (Jameth 1960 year chart)
4. O Amor, O Sorriso E A Flor by Joรฃo Gilberto (Baystate 1960 year chart)
5. Tonight's The Night by The Shirelles (Baystate 1960 year chart)
5. Miriam Makeba by Miriam Makeba (Jameth 1960 year chart)
6. Change Of The Century by Ornette Coleman (Baystate 1960 year chart)
7. Mingus Dynasty by Charles Mingus (Baystate 1960 year chart)
9. Soul Station by Hank Mobley (Baystate 1960 year chart)
9. Harlem Street Singer by Rev. Gary Davis (Jameth 1960 year chart)
Persistence Of Vision by VHS Head
It's much less sinister than the cover suggests. Most of the music comes from the guy altering VHS tapes and getting various sounds out of them, which is definitely cool. The end product is some kind of glitchy IDM and outsider house. RYM has it as IDM/Glitch Hop, which is close enough to my classification. Not exactly my thing, but if you're into heavier kind of IDM and techno/house I recon it's great. Gas Human No. 1 is a highlight, it's the darkest sounding of the bunch imo, and it's also quite epic at parts. There's even a fantastic guitar sample which sounded great in the mix. Body Magic is a dope track too. However, I find a lot of ideas to be quite repetitive, like there's this glitchy IDM beat which appears slightly altered in a lot of the songs, and I grow tired of it after 10 minutes. I'm glad I gave it a shot, it's pretty unique but it won't be getting many plays after today. It's even too glitch infused to land on my DJ playlist... 6.5/10
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
John Coltrane - Soultrane
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Swallow The Sun - New Moon
Lightning Bolt - Sonic Citadel
Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
This Polish album sounds remarkably Japanese for some reason, and I don't know why. It's nothing special, but it'll work for a shuffle playlist of synth-pop.
Ledzep, go with the Mark Lanegan collab.
Alejandra & Aeron โ- Be Mine
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Patty Pravo- Concerto Per Patty
Ama Divers- Shadow Seeking Sun
Steve Roden - Crop Circles
This Song Is A Mess But So Am I - Church Point, LA
Hertzainak - Hertzainak
Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet
Crash Worship - This
Jan Dukes de Grey - Mice And Rats In The Loft
Ballad Of The Broken Seas by Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
As most of you probably know, I'm a fan of Mark Lanegan. His voice is everything, and it saves the day even when he writes subpar material (like his last two albums from 2019 and 2020). On Ballad of the Broken Seas he collaborates with Isobel Campbell of Belle & Sebastian, and although most of the songs were written by her (with a handful of covers too), this still feels decidedly like a Lanegan album to me. Maybe it's because I'm much more familiar with his opus than Campbell's. Anyways, the songwriting is solid throughout. Americana, folk, dark country and occasional chamber folk sounds are mixed very cohesively. Their voices are the complete opposites, with Campbell having a high and bright voice and Lanegan having that signature deep, "whisky" baritone reminiscent of... nobody? Maybe Waits or Cohen? I'd rank this somewhere in the middle of Lanegan's discography (below Whiskey For The Holy Ghost, Gargoyle, The Winding Sheet, Field Songs and Bubblegum), and it's my first solo Isobel Campbell album so I can't really compare it to anything. A pleasant listen, it'll probably get more spins in the future 7.5/10
(2)
Chief you go with the collab too. Be Mine sounds pleasant.
(3)
RYM metal top 100 / SquishypuffDave's Top 100 Greatest Albums / Xxnu99etxX Top 100 Greatest Albums
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
24. Gum Takes Tooth - Mirrors Fold
27. Geinoh Yamashirogumi - ่ผชๅปปไบค้ฟๆฅฝ [Ecophony Rinne]
29. Oren Ambarchi - Grapes From The Estate
5) Songs: Ohia - Ghost Tropic
13) White Suns - Totem
16) Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Out of the King Crimson albums I've heard after their debut, this comes closest in terms of both quality and sound (although it's far from a carbon copy). I suppose that's not too surprising, as they're less than a year apart. As usual, the artistic ability is there in spades, and I love the moments when they incorporate more delicate, folk-influenced vocals and instrumentals. Three songs struck me as great on first listen: Cadence And Cascade, the title track, and Cat Food. I'm not counting the peace fragments, but I appreciate how they stitch the album together, especially the coda. Meanwhile, Pictures Of A City and The Devil's Triangle are both very good, but don't feel as fully-realized as the others. They do add up to more runtime though, so that tips the balance from great to quite good. 3.5/5.
1950: Charlie Parker With Strings - Charlie Parker
1951: Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano - Maro Ajemian
1953: This Modern World - Stan Kenton
1954: Images - Sarah Vaughan
1957: This Is How I Feel About Jazz - Quincy Jones
1980: Diana - Diana Ross
1998: Nightfall In Middle-Earth - Blind Guardian
2001: The Photo Album - Death Cab For Cutie
2003: Rainy Day Music - The Jayhawks
2004: Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
That last album kinda sucked. It was like half spoken word between the glitches and stuff.
Not my favorite from Modest Mouse, but definitely worth a listen.
Aviador Dro โโ Alas Sobre El Mundo
Patty Pravo- Concerto Per Patty
Ama Divers- Shadow Seeking Sun
Steve Roden - Crop Circles
This Song Is A Mess But So Am I - Church Point, LA
Hertzainak - Hertzainak
Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet
Crash Worship - This
Jan Dukes de Grey - Mice And Rats In The Loft
Family- Un Soplo En El Corazon
This surprisingly contains a big hit in "The Lord's Prayer", which hit #4 in the U.S. and #3 in Australia in 1974. It's a traditional prayer which Mead played with rock backing (in an attempt to appeal to her students/a younger generation) and was the first Australian recording to sell a million copies in the U.S. It's probably been almost entirely forgotten at this point, given the material. There are a couple of other rock-driven tracks on the album, interspersed with some MOR-styled numbers and a couple of folk tunes. The album isn't a big hit with me, with the exception of "Keep Me Safe" and "He is King". The first is a folk tune with harpsichord and strings, and the second is a really surprising tripped-out, murky psych rock number that Mead's sweet, pealing voice (and the horns) really carries.
2. Tara /--/ Rigs Of The Time
5. Goliard /--/ Fortune My Foe
6. ๅฑฑๅดใใณ [Hako Yamasaki] /--/ ้ฃใปใณใปใพใปใ (Tobimasu)
7. Sue Walker /--/ The Bard And I
8. Ann Tholsted /--/ Ann Tholsted
9. Janelle Richey /--/ Remembering
12. Nic Jones /--/ Ballads And Songs
13. Mossy Davidson's Alaska /--/ NorthWind Calling
14. Peggy Seeger /--/ Animal Folk Songs For Children: Selected From Ruth Crawford Seeger's Animal Folk Songs For Children
15. Elecampane /--/ When God's On The Water _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Not their best, but it's still a really good album. Float On is the most acclaimed track, but there were several songs I preferred. The album is peppered with great lyrical turns of phrase (including several that show up in BEA's banner), and it has a decent amount of variety too. I noticed nods to Tom Waits and Lou Reed. Unfortunately, there are a number of mediocre tracks mixed in with the rest that prevent it from being a bonafide classic. 3.5/5.
1950: Charlie Parker With Strings - Charlie Parker
1951: Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano - Maro Ajemian
1953: This Modern World - Stan Kenton
1954: Images - Sarah Vaughan
1957: This Is How I Feel About Jazz - Quincy Jones
1980: Diana - Diana Ross
1998: Nightfall In Middle-Earth - Blind Guardian
2001: The Photo Album - Death Cab For Cutie
2003: Rainy Day Music - The Jayhawks
2006: Fox Confessor Brings The Flood - Neko Case _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
I've never listened to a Duke Ellington album before and this took me by surprise. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. It kept my attention right from the start, and about halfway through something clicked where I was just feeling it all the way to the end. 8/10.
1960 albums from a combo of player's charts (2 picks left)
42. Have Guitar, Will Travel by Bo Diddley (Tha1ChiefRocka '60s decade chart)
2. Charles Ives: Symphony No. 2 by Leonard Bernstein / New York Philharmonic (Jameth 1960 year chart)
4. O Amor, O Sorriso E A Flor by Joรฃo Gilberto (Baystate 1960 year chart)
5. Tonight's The Night by The Shirelles (Baystate 1960 year chart)
5. Miriam Makeba by Miriam Makeba (Jameth 1960 year chart)
6. Change Of The Century by Ornette Coleman (Baystate 1960 year chart)
7. Mingus Dynasty by Charles Mingus (Baystate 1960 year chart)
9. Soul Station by Hank Mobley (Baystate 1960 year chart)
9. Harlem Street Singer by Rev. Gary Davis (Jameth 1960 year chart)
10. Portrait In Jazz by Bill Evans Trio (Baystate 1960 year chart)
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum