Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  123 ... 21, 222324  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

At Least Wave Your Handkerchief At Me: ...by Saz'iso

From: ALBANIA

EDIT: I feel bad not writing anything about this one, but I'm just not sure what to say. It's traditional Albanian songs. Is what it is. Instrumentation's fantastic, varied, aaalmost somewhere between Arabic, Portuguese and Russian. Worth a listen if you're interested.
,

The Angry Young Them by Them

From: NORTHERN IRELAND

What? I can't listen to a Them album for the first time? In 2020.

Yes, that's right. August whateverdayitisnow 2020. First listen. (Apart from Gloria).


Tautai Oe by Vaniah Toloa

From: TOKELAU

Don't ask. Don't seek. Bad. Like Moana if Moana sucked.
_________________
Doubles & Conch


Last edited by Hayden on 08/22/2020 17:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Hayden wrote:

I have Odbrana I Poslednji Dani in the queue btw... just haven't given it a spin yet ๐Ÿ˜จ YT link is bookmarked.

No pressure, we know you have a lot of stuff in the queue. I thought about translating several favourite songs from Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian bands to English, if you donโ€™t mind me taking over this thread for a while ๐Ÿ˜ Might do Rusija (Russia) from Odbrana tomorrow, since weโ€™re covering Serbia now.


Be my guest ๐Ÿ˜„
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
I should probably do this in my own thread, but since we're covering Serbia here (and I'm also tipsy)... what the hell ๐Ÿ˜

This one is a big deal. Odbrana I Poslednji Dani (Defense and the Last Days) is often cited as the best ex Yugoslavian album (not nearly the most well-known, but definitely the most respected among the fans and critics). Weird, experimental post-punk with a lot of progressive and artsy lyricism. The most well-known and also the most forward-thinking song is Rusija (Russia). The original is a classic, but I slightly prefer the remake by Vlada Divljan (Idoli leader, singer, guitarist and songwriter).

The original

Link


Altered version by the bandleader Vlada Divljan and his later band

Link


It's important to note that I'm not fluent in English, and it's very tough translating songs. But hopefully this makes some sense.



As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a definitive answer to what this song is about. There's numerous theories. My friend thinks that "her" is a trans person, which made the relationship special. That would be VERY controversial in socialist Yugoslavia, so I like this interpretation ๐Ÿ˜„ "She" had stronger arms than "him" and she's confused and she didn't let him overcome her (or master her). It's an unusual love story at the very least, with brilliant details. "At night I was reading her A. Fadeyev" was always such a fantastic line to me, and "the light of Vostok" which can mean several different things, maybe it's a distant light, a perfection which their relationship will never reach, and maybe it's literally them sitting somewhere and looking at the night sky. Maybe the song's an allegory? ๐Ÿค”

Hopefully that makes sense, and if Hayden's ok with it (seems he is) I would do this kind of translation for a few other songs (Croatian and Bosnian).
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Avenoir by Akram X Viirgo

From: OMAN

These guys got some lazy lips. No idea what they're saying. Some okay-ish production from time to time, very Toronto-esque, but definitely needed some work. Male vocals are weak, whiney, etc... can't say I enjoyed it much.


Hail The King by Akae Beka

From: VIRGIN ISLANDS

Possibly the best reggae album I've heard released in the 2010s. Only came out last year, and I know the lead MC unfortunately died shortly afterwards, but this sounds like a solid record from the early to maybe mid 80s (with a cleaner overall sound maybe). No complaints here.


The Sound by Toots Thielemans

From: BELGIUM

Post-bop from a dude named Toots. Belgian jazz is always worth giving a spin. It usually isn't as soulful or sharp as US jazz, but it does have this excellent diddliness to it.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:



Hail The King by Akae Beka

From: VIRGIN ISLANDS

Possibly the best reggae album I've heard released in the 2010s. Only came out last year, and I know the lead MC unfortunately died shortly afterwards, but this sounds like a solid record from the early to maybe mid 80s (with a cleaner overall sound maybe). No complaints here.


Loving this!!! Thanks, brother!
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Hayden wrote:



Hail The King by Akae Beka

From: VIRGIN ISLANDS

Possibly the best reggae album I've heard released in the 2010s. Only came out last year, and I know the lead MC unfortunately died shortly afterwards, but this sounds like a solid record from the early to maybe mid 80s (with a cleaner overall sound maybe). No complaints here.


Loving this!!! Thanks, brother!


Glad you like it ๐Ÿ˜„

It's decent stuff. I'm going to keep an eye out for whatever else I can find by them. I find most reggae post '89-ish is... not good... but these guys had a great vibe. Slightly less groove, slightly more bite. Shame what happened.


Quote:
Hopefully that makes sense, and if Hayden's ok with it (seems he is) I would do this kind of translation for a few other songs (Croatian and Bosnian).


Course, course. All good. Still have Croatia and Bosnia up on the slate too ๐Ÿ˜
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote

Mirror In Mirror by Skip Skip Ben Ben

From: TAIWAN

Garage rock, in an apartment. Dreamy psych with a plethora of pedals and sparse vocals floating ontop. It's a nice record. Deserves a bit more love.


El Cielo by Lolabรบm

From: ECUADOR

The Strokes, in Spanish.

Maybe not Is This It, but somewhere on the level for Room on Fire for sure.

Good ol' band stuff.


The Spy From Istanbul by Arman Ratip

From: TURKEY

Not going to sugarcoat it, I went through three other Turkish records before deciding on this one. Just didn't really care for the others at all and figured I could dig up something better. This is better. A one-off record, I don't think Arman Ratip did anything else, but this is a stellar 4-track avant-garde jazz record. Plenty of life. Title track is a major standout.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote

Negirdฤ—ta Lietuva by Saulius Petreikis

From: LITHUANIA

A bonkers tasting menu of 35 unique and different Lithuanian (and other local) instruments played by this dude who likes to walk in blizzards. Dude plays a lot of instruments for short periods of time, but I can't say there's really any songs here or anything like that. It's just a platter. Charcuterie. Snowballs.

(thumbs up though)


Dead Men Don't Smoke Marijuana by S.E. Rogie

From: SIERRA LEONE

Unless they're Canadian.


Take It Easy by Leo "The Lion" Mathisen

From: DENMARK

Leo (The Lion), cigar-smoking pianoman, does his jazz stuff. If you wander about Copenhagen long enough you'll find that you're walking on a street a jazz musician lived on. Duke Jordan. Thad Jones. Ben Webster. Kenny Drew. Stan Getz. Tchicai. Maybe even this fellow named Leo The Lion Mathisen. Jazz is as much of a Danish staple as perhaps the danish itself, which is not truly Danish, but the jazz is.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote

Hus by Hanne Borchgrevink

From: NORWAY

Hubro minus the Hubro. Freeform minimalistic... jazz? Classical? Ish. It's that Norwegian mishmush they've been doing the past few years. Record's a bit sparse, but still worth a listen.


Blood Moon Underworld by MISOGI

From: UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (based UK)

I... don't know exactly what this is. It's kinda a mess. Dream... gaze... r&b folk metal?... deconstructed. Bizarre mix. It's like if a Bon Iver tape broke.... but maybe not as good, and if he felt like maybe he needed to half-rap some things overtop 90s sounding vibes. It's also got this understated smushing of Owl City and Sufjan Stevens somewhere in there. There's just way too much going on here.


Tangio Tumas by Narasirato

From: SOLOMON ISLANDS

Repeat artist, sorry. Solid live album. Spun this a while back, but I'm having a difficult time with Solomon Islands... regardless, this is pretty good, and I have no qualms giving it a rec.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote

Flare Up by Harry Beckett

From: BARBADOS (based UK)

(this is significantly better than the 20-years-dated cover would suggest). A lot more progressive than I figured it would be. Some fantastic compositions here.


Oลพiljak by Miladin ล obiฤ‡

From: MONTENEGRO


Al Zman Saib by Fadoul

From: MOROCCO

One of the first releases from Habibi Funk (their #2).

Quote:
It took me until 2014 to find first infos about Fadoul and the news I got through members of another Moroccan band called the Golden Hands. They told me that Fadoul had passed away a long time ago. As sad as it was to hear this, it was the start of a hunt that started with a phone call to another Morroccan singer called Tony Day who knew where Fadoulโ€™s family used to live in the 1980s. Another trip to Morocco, countless taxi rides, and numerous phone calls and street conversations later we were standing in front of the house of Fadoulโ€™s family in central Casablanca. We ended up meeting one of his sisters who shared beautiful stories with us about her brothers life. A creative spirit who painted, played theatre and eventually ended up dedicating most of his energy to music. He spent some time living in Paris soaking up the music of James Brown, Free and other American bands, laying the foundation of his unique mix of arabic and western musical influences. After his recording career he kept on making music in the 1980s, exploring new musical grounds. One of the jingles of a big Moroccan orange juice brand is composed by him. He got married and had two children. Fadoul passed 1991 in Casablanca at the age of 50.

_________________
Doubles & Conch


Last edited by Hayden on 08/27/2020 16:03; edited 1 time in total

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 21, 222324  Next
Page 22 of 24


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Mexican music around the world FelipeBoorkes Music
Around The World In 80 Plays Jimmy Dread Music
[ Poll ] BEMV - R1: Around The World lost to P... videoheadcleaner Tournaments
Music from around the world Carl21 Music Diaries
National and World Days LTSings Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.