You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 296297298 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

1990 by Daniel Johnston

I've heard a couple of his albums but not the higher rated ones. I can see why this is thought of as one of his best. One of the realest albums I've heard in a while. Like you are listening to him play it right there and then. Also authentic are the emotions and feelings that are portrayed and seem to come across so easily. Credit to Daniel Johnston for that. There is a sad beautiful innocence and simplicity to these songs dealing with love and sadness and happiness and good and bad and God and the devil and right and wrong. Of course the individual highlight that encapsulates the album is True Love Will Find You In The End, but I really liked the run from Held The Hand to the strange cover of Got To Get You Into My Life. The best Daniel Johnston album I've heard so far. A high 7.5/10 & 33/58 for 1990.




I am going to choose Neil Young here.

Landing On Water by Neil Young




Top 69 Music Albums of 1990 by Tha1ChiefRocka (5 picks)

3. Frizzle Fry by Primus
5. Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em by Reverend Horton Heat
6. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted by Ice Cube
7. One For All by Brand Nubian
15. Intelligent Hoodlum by Intelligent Hoodlum
17. Ragged Glory by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
18. World Clique by Deee-Lite
19. Funky Technician by Lord Finesse & DJ Mike Smooth
21. Black Angels by Kronos Quartet
22. Jordan: The Comeback by Prefab Sprout
  • Quote
1.


Mestarin Kynsi by Oranssi Pazuzu

Well this was good enough to get 2 plays, which is nice. I can say that I really liked this. There was a very nice atmosphere, the vocals were awesome and creepy and anguished, the music was quite varied without ever seeming jarring or out of left field, and the songs all build so well to these intense climaxes. It was a nice marriage of black metal with post rock (somewhat, especially with the build ups) and some proggy and complex subtle parts and some psychedelic stuff as well. It managed to engage me on an emotional level and a also on a musical arrangement kind of level. Idk. I really really like this album. This as well as that Death Metal album by Ulcerated have gotten me much more set up and in the mood for some more metal album listening.

I’m kinda meh on grades at the moment. Probably just a phase. I guess this is a 8.5/10 in a musical enrichment level and a 7.5/10 in terms of personal taste and enjoyment. If I use my grading system on my diary it gets 😈 😈 😈 😈 And it’s Going on the 2020 chart quite high I think but won’t sniff like top 10 cuz those spots are taken by all my usual boring singer/songwriter and pop faves which I tend to fall for on a deeper level. I’m rambling. I finally upgraded my 3 year old phone and so I am for the first time ever in this game doing this post on my phone. Much bigger screen makes it work strangely well. Okay bye.

------------------------------------------
2.

Purplepash,


Ragged Glory by Neil Young & Crazy Horse

------------------------

3.


Top 10 albums of 2020 per RYM that I have not heard.


1. Manger on McNichols by Boldy James & Sterling Toles (#23)
2. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity (#25)
3. Miles by Blu & Exile (#26)
4. Program Music III by Kashiwa Daisuke (#27)
5. 冀西南林路行 (Inside the Cable Temple) by 万能青年旅店 [Omnipotent Youth Society] (#28)
6. Toda história pela frente by Kaatayra (#31)
7. Melinoë by Akhlys (#33)
8. Hour of the Centaur by Hate Forest (#34)
9. Totschläger (A Saintslayer's Songbook) by Abigor (#35)
10. 2017-2019 by Against All Logic (#37)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
(1)

Mariama by Boubacar Traoré
Wow this is some heartfelt, excellent blues and Mande music. It feels more like a singer/songwriter album than a lot of stuff in the same style I've heard, maybe that's the ingredient which makes it such a powerful and emotional listen. It's fair to say that I've adored every song, but the closer, Pierrette (written for his late wife) is particularly incredible. As is the opener, a 5:40 minute Mariama Kaba which feels just the right length. Some of the other songs, while excellent, can be a teeny bit too long (6-7 minutes). Diarabi is another standout, I don't know what he's singing about but Traore still manages to convey so much emotion it's crazy. The length of a few songs is just about the only complaint I have, the singing is incredible throughout, guitar work exquisite, melodies profound. Another high rating, but honestly might be 0.5 higher. 9/10

(2)
Chief you've redone the 90s chart, looks great! As for the pick, Neil Young giveth, Neil Young... also giveth I guess. Ragged Glory is cool. Merc was quicker, so he'll have AAL.

(3)
Jameth 1990s/2000s charts mashup && baystateoftheart 1990s/2000s charts mashup

Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun - Divine Music From A Jail
Rokia Traoré - Bowmboï
Soungalo Coulibaly - Dengo
--------------------------------------
The Magnetic Fields - The Wayward Bus
Belle And Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
The Magnetic Fields - The Charm Of The Highway Strip
Beach House - Devotion
The Cardigans - First Band On The Moon
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Lovesliescrushing - Xuvetyn
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Lol looks like we pushed submit at almost the same time, LedZep! And we both suggested the same album by Neil Young to purplepash ! (Minds think similar). So I guess you could edit with your pick for me or just type a reply.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
(1)


This was quite nice. I would say compared to Liz Phair's debut, this was better. There is a certain itch that I could see this being a little higher than the light 8 or 80 I'm giving it. Maybe an 85. I enjoyed most of the album. And the vibe was pretty good. Some of the lengthy cuts on this were probably the highest highs off the album. But I wouldn't say this would be higher since this doesn't hit me the hardest or appeal to my personal taste.

(2)
Ledzep, Xuvetyn.

(3)
BEA's Top 100 Albums of 1993
(64) Meat Loaf-Back Out Of Hell II (would have to listen to the first Back Out Of Hell album)
(65) The Auteurs-New Wave
(67) Buffalo Tom-Big Red Letter Day
(70) Urge Overkill-Saturation
(71) Midnight Oil-Earth And Sun And Moon
(73) Donald Fagen-Kamakiriad
(76) The Posies-Frosting on the Beater
(79) Neil Young-Unplugged
(82) Cracker-Kerosene Hat
(84) Blue Rodeo-Five Days In July
  • Quote

Landing On Water by Neil Young

Neil is on helium and the drum production is absolute ass. He occasionally does something cool with a guitar when the synths stop being the lead instrument. Yep this is not good.

The production is just abysmal.

Urge Overkill next.


Soft Machine- Land Of Cockayne
Camel- The Single Factor
Santana- Beyond Appearances
Supertramp- Free As A Bird
Joni Mitchell- Dog Eat Dog
John Martyn- Well Kept Secret
Alan Vega- Just A Million Dreams
Blue Oyster Cult- Club Ninja
Grand Funk- What's Funk
Boston- Walk On
  • Quote
1.


2017-2019 by Against All Logic

I like Jaar's music generally, from the half dozen albums I've heard. Specifically though I love his more ambient or less dancy stuff like Psychic or Space Is Only Noise. I liked 2012-whenever (AAL's previous album) but I mostly forgot it until last year seeing this album was released. Now that I have heard 2017-2019 I can say that so far this is my least favorite of his albums. Maybe it just caught me at the wrong time, but the industrial noisiness of this album kinda got my nerves. There were moments when the production in all its somewhat harshness mixed really well with the vocal snippets (especially with the Beyonce bit and the Lydia Lunch bit), and sometimes when the House beat comes in really clear like on "Faith" I was mildly in love. But yeah all in all didn't love this. Liked it a little bit, though. So that's nice. anthony fantano grade: decent to strong 6. tran...

sition. did you love it did you hate it what shall you nominate next...etc the same shit every video for like 10 years.

------------------------------------------
2.

Tha1ChiefRocka,


The Single Factor by Camel



------------------------

3.


Top 10 albums of 2020 per RYM that I have not heard. mixed with top rated albums that I actually just want to hear in genres that interest me. Bet you can't figure out which is which.


1. Manger on McNichols by Boldy James & Sterling Toles
2. Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain by Gwenifer Raymond
3. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity (#25)
4. Inner Song by Kelly Lee Owens
5. Miles by Blu & Exile (#26)
6. Welcome to Hard Times by Charley Crocket
7. Program Music III by Kashiwa Daisuke (#27)
8. Through Shaded Woods by Lunatic Soul
9. 冀西南林路行 (Inside the Cable Temple) by 万能青年旅店 [Omnipotent Youth Society] (#28)
10. Bildungsroman by 海朋森 [Hiperson]
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
(1)


So to get my complaints out there. First off, doing this game I'm glad the trend of having 20 minutes of silence for the hidden track don't exist or are less prominent to today's modern music landscape. And the other thing is that the few moments where the album go into the electronic direction besides the hidden track went a little further. Otherwise this was a great rock album. Not the hardest hitting for rock in 93. But still a recommendation for rock. This was aiming at an 90 but is stuck with an 85 for now.

(2)
Mercury, Lunatic Soul

(3)
BEA's Top 100 Albums of 1993
(64) Meat Loaf-Back Out Of Hell II (would have to listen to the first Back Out Of Hell album)
(65) The Auteurs-New Wave
(67) Buffalo Tom-Big Red Letter Day
(71) Midnight Oil-Earth And Sun And Moon
(73) Donald Fagen-Kamakiriad
(76) The Posies-Frosting on the Beater
(79) Neil Young-Unplugged
(82) Cracker-Kerosene Hat
(84) Blue Rodeo-Five Days In July
(85) Sugar-Beaster
  • Quote
1.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Thanks for picking this, I was rather eager for it. As far as I can recall, I have listened to this album in its entirety exactly one time, somewhere in 2011-2012, immediately rejected it and never looked back. So, I thought it might be a good idea to give it a second try. Sound-wise it's all over the map (just check Jig of Life), there is something here for everyone. Overall, though, this was an album of two halves. First five tracks were kinda ok, but I can't say I managed to connect with them in any special way. On the other hand, And Dream of Sheep signifies the beginning of a great sequence of tracks, where lyrics and music combine to create some mesmerizing imagery. Rating it as a whole I am gonna say 70/100 (first half 65/100, second half 75/100).

2.
I nominate

Midnight Oil-Earth And Sun And Moon

3.
Mercury's chart
1. Nilsson Sings Newman - Harry Nilsson
2. 16 Lovers Lane - The Go-Betweens
3. Prowler In The Yard - Pig Destroyer
4. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson
5. Old Chestnut - Ned Collette
6. So Far - Bob Theil
7. Looks Like Rain - Mickey Newbury
8.There's Nothing Wrong With Love - Built To Spill
9. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder (unlike the others, it's not gonna be a first listen, but I really feel like revisiting this at the moment)
10. Continuum - John Mayer
  • Quote
(1)

Xuvetyn by Lovesliescrushing
Terrible album name. Terrible band name. But it sounds like MBV doing their version of Pygmalion. So taking the shoegaze aesthetics that they have and start using them in the more ambient and ethereal music. A precursor to Liz Harris and her Alien Observer possibly. It was fun as a background listen (back to back listens actually) while doing some math for the finals. The highlight was Xarella Almandyne with its beautiful drones, but it's very strong overall. I'll be coming back to this one. 8/10

(2)
Let's keep the jangle/twee pop trend in the game alive. 16 Lovers Lane for you kokkinos

(3)
Jameth 1990s/2000s charts mashup && baystateoftheart 1990s/2000s charts mashup && my "Whatever" list

The next one is going to be a list generated by me while clearing up my queue. It was over 100 albums long (plus some additional 2020/2021 stuff), a real mess. The list is some 50 albums long so it'll be a journey.

Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun - Divine Music From A Jail
Rokia Traoré - Bowmboï
Soungalo Coulibaly - Dengo
--------------------------------------
The Magnetic Fields - The Wayward Bus
Belle And Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
The Magnetic Fields - The Charm Of The Highway Strip
Beach House - Devotion
The Cardigans - First Band On The Moon
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
--------------------------------------
Lenny Valentino - Uwaga! Jedzie tramwaj
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 296297298 ... 444445446  Next
Page 297 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.