planetneutral's Master Rating Log 2021-

Goto page Previous  123 ... 171819 ... 212223  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00767
Rating Date: 2021-02-20


Southeastern by Jason Isbell

Year of Release: 2013

Rating: 75

Posted comment: Some intensely personal and strong songwriting. Doesn't really appeal to me musically.

Notes: I see some comments making a Heartbreaker comparison. I get it. But I think the covers tell the difference pretty effectively. #teamheartbreaker



Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #458
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? N
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? #13 of 21

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #465 of 500 (93.0% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #490 of 692 (70.8% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,078 (53.0% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00768
Rating Date: 2021-02-20


Man On The Moon: The End Of Day by Kid Cudi

Year of Release: 2009

Rating: 65

Posted comment: Didn't care for this at all on the first pass. But after a late night listen, I'd say it has its moments.

Notes:

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #459
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? N
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? N

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #466 of 500 (93.2% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #491 of 692 (71.0% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,078 (53.0% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00769
Rating Date: 2021-02-20


Group Sex by Circle Jerks

Year of Release: 2009

Rating: 80

Posted comment: The 12YO version of me that listened to this over and over on cassette would have sworn this compact little gem was longer than 15 minutes.

Notes: Listen inspired by Ryan's all-time chart and its appearance as COTD. That this particular album has a log # ending in 69 is a coincidence, I swear.

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: N
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? Y
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N (I had this on cassette.)
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? #35 of 93

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: n/a of 500 (93.2% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: n/a of 692 (71.0% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: #572 of 1,078 (53.1% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00770
Rating Date: 2021-02-20


Melodrama by Lorde

Year of Release: 2017

Rating: 65

Posted comment: Beyond the opener, none of these songs excite me like the best songs from the first album.

Notes:

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #460
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? N
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? N

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #467 of 500 (93.4% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #492 of 692 (71.1% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,078 (53.1% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00771
Rating Date: 2021-02-20


For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

Year of Release: 2008

Rating: 80

Posted comment: I'm not saying they're all great songs, but I like how this album feels.

Notes:

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #461
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? N
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? #10 of 54

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #468 of 500 (93.6% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #493 of 692 (71.2% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,078 (53.1% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00772
Rating Date: 2021-02-21


3 + 3 by The Isley Brothers

Year of Release: 1973

Rating: 80

Posted comment: It's half covers, but those are some great songs they're interpreting, and these guys get why the music matters as much as the vocals.

Notes: I'll just note here that an album rated 80 would easily make any decade list OTHER than the 70s, which is clearly the epicenter of my musical universe.

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #464
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? Y
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? N

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #470 of 500 (94.0% of all items rated - avg. 77.1)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #495 of 692 (71.5% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: #573 of 1,078 (53.2% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00773
Rating Date: 2021-02-21


Best Of The Classic Years by King Sunny Adรฉ

Year of Release: 2003

Rating: 70

Posted comment: Charming enough, but it's very mellow for "party music" and nothing really stands out to me.

Notes: No idea what would make this the definitive collection of King Sunny Adรฉ, such that it would garner enough voting traffic to be included on a purportedly crowdsourced Rolling Stone list. I'm the only BEA user to even rate it.

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: N 2012: N 2020: #465
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? N
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? N (No comps.)

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #471 of 500 (94.2% of all items rated - avg. 77.0)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #496 of 692 (71.7% of all items rated - avg. 76.8 )
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,078 (53.2% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)
  • Quote
planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00774
Rating Date: 2021-02-22


The Beach Boys Today! by The Beach Boys

Year of Release: 2003

Rating: 65

Posted comment: Some likable songs and emerging signs of genius, but the sequence is divided between upbeat tunes and ballads in a way that makes it hard for me to enjoy as an album proper.

Notes: I struggled with an astounding ability to tune this album out completely, particularly by the time I hit the slower half. I must have spun it half a dozen times and had basically no opinion because I couldn't even remember the songs I'd just heard.

Included in...
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums? 2003: #270 2012: #271 2020: #466
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (repeatedly revised 2005-2018)? Y
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)? N
planetneutral's music collection? N
planetneutral's Decade list (min. 70 rating)? N

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #472 of 500 (94.4% of all items rated - avg. 77.0)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #497 of 692 (71.8% of all items rated - avg. 76.7)
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 2005/2013/2017/2018 Combined List rating order: #574 of 1,078 (53.2% of all items rated - avg. 74.2)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (21.3% of all items rated - avg. 79.5)


Last edited by planetneutral on 02/23/2021 02:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
So I'm definitely appreciating the increased swiftness with which posting my comments in this diary generates "unhelpful" votes on those comments. And it's cool. Those votes will get there eventually anyway. I know I don't like some people's sacred cows. I grapple with my most of my less-than-ultra-enthusiastic ratings, because I know someone loves that album and that matters to me. But I have to be honest with myself first. Otherwise, what's the point, right?

As a net-unhelpful person with 700+ comments in place, I do regularly wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to just call the up/down voting "Like" and "Unlike." So it can be more honest and people can just express that they don't like an opinion, rather than having to be confined to calling it unhelpful. Which makes no sense since most people voting thusly would seem to already have an opinion and, well, not need the commenter's help. But I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this...
  • Quote
planetneutral wrote:
So I'm definitely appreciating the increased swiftness with which posting my comments in this diary generates "unhelpful" votes on those comments. And it's cool. Those votes will get there eventually anyway. I know I don't like some people's sacred cows. I grapple with my most of my less-than-ultra-enthusiastic ratings, because I know someone loves that album and that matters to me. But I have to be honest with myself first. Otherwise, what's the point, right?

As a net-unhelpful person with 700+ comments in place, I do regularly wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to just call the up/down voting "Like" and "Unlike." So it can be more honest and people can just express that they don't like an opinion, rather than having to be confined to calling it unhelpful. Which makes no sense since most people voting thusly would seem to already have an opinion and, well, not need the commenter's help. But I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this...


My favorite thing is when someone leaves a positive comment but a garbage rating... the sheep don't know what to do with it, so they move on. ๐Ÿคฃ

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 171819 ... 212223  Next
Page 18 of 23


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
Looking for ideas for rating tracks i... JoshN125 Music
A music obsessive's listening log ShadowColossi Music Diaries
Media Log 2026 Facetious Music Diaries
My listening log book thingy Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.