2021 Music

Goto page Previous  123 ... 282930 ... 606162  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:

Dope Game Stupid by Bruiser Wolf

This is one of the oddest hip-hop records I've heard in years.

Whatever that's worth.


Wolf's flow is bizarre. And... well, he's aware.


You're killing it with these recommendations. I could definitely see this growing on me.
_________________
Griselda, by Fashion Rebels
2020's Hip-Hop
2020's Country
  • Quote
It's been awhile since I've felt so. fucking. hyped. about this much new music. Lemme share what's making me excited.


Never The Right Time by Andy Stott

the suzerain of electric low-end returns


Nick Ashwood - Unfolding/Overlay

OK, this one's 2020, but it's two bowed acoustic guitars, their lush harmonic rainbows and radiating pulsings, simultaneously simple and complex like Radigue's occams


mattie barbier - Juz (a Yodel Cry)

well-tuned (bass?) trombone with vocal multiphonics, a cathartic fanfare, "dlp 1.1" without the disintegrating (but there's still harmonic distortions)


Sergio Merce - Neon dragon

microtonal saxophonist goes hard on the synths and ewi to make deep, loud bass music - it's not four on the floor but it throbs like it


Nate Wooley - Mutual Aid Music

dense, heady chamber music, with a forward-thinking social structure that I wrote a bit about here

And this isn't mentioning what I haven't had a chance to listen to, like claire rousay's a softer focus, Vladislav Delay's Rakka II, Eric Wong's Panomorph, and Ko Ishikawa's Divination at Dusk. May is looking to be just as stacked too!
  • Quote
Thanks for the recs Streams. Piling them in my queue (Ishikawa might get a play right away). I only got around to KNVF the other day, but I definitely would have skipped over it had you not mentioned anything. Insane record.

Any chance you'll make a chart for the year so far?


Quote:
You're killing it with these recommendations. I could definitely see this growing on me.


It really is a weird one. I could see it going either way with me. It'll either grow or I'll get annoyed with his flow. Don't know quite yet ๐Ÿคฃ
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
Any chance you'll make a chart for the year so far?


idk if I'm into it enough right now to justify the effort; if I do, it will likely be towards the end of the year

always glad to provide impromptu lists though; here's a shortlist of favorites (things I've actually returned to regularly) in some order - almost all of these illuminate a sharp bias in my personal listening towards acoustic 'drone' in alternate tunings with a focus on multiphonics and harmonic interactions that often result in beating patterns

Michael Winter - single track
mattie barbier - Juz (a Yodel Cry)
Zachary Good & Ben Roidl-Ward - arb
Sergio Merce - Dragon Neon
John McCowen - Robeson Formants
Andy Stott - Never the right time
Catherine Lamb - Muto Infinitas

Beyond the Ishikawa, Ripatti (who also has that hip hop album coming out), rousay, and Wong, the things I'm most looking forward to are:

Yoshi Wada - The Appointed Cloud
Microtub - Sonic Drift
Bryan Eubanks & Xavier Lopez - Natural Realms
Christopher Williams & Liminar - On Perpetual (Musical) Peace?
Chora(s)san Time-Court Mirage - Blues Alif Lam Mim
Burial - Chemz/Dolphinz

Lots of promising stuff, but this is my personal cream
  • Quote
Andy Stott dropped? Wasn't it supposed to be in the middle of May? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. Edit: yeah I'm stupid, it's out and it's good

BTW Djourou is one of the finest Mande albums I've heard period. Only the best Diabate kora work was as entrancing as this one (and their collab of course).
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Andy Stott dropped? Wasn't it supposed to be in the middle of May? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. Edit: yeah I'm stupid, it's out and it's good

BTW Djourou is one of the finest Mande albums I've heard period. Only the best Diabate kora work was as entrancing as this one (and their collab of course).


Glad you enjoyed it. 'Finest' is a good descriptor... felt excellently well crafted. Hoping it garners a few more positive reviews over the release. Deserves a bit of decent publicity. LIKEWISE with the new Andy Stott, which I'm surprised to see. I thought it was a pretty strong release. Honing his sound slightly differently on this one.

And thanks for the list Streams ๐Ÿ˜„ New Burial is an odd release. Not quite sure two-tracks over 6 months is the best schedule, but hey... dude can do what he wants. First track's solid.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Okay, so it looks like there are a lot of albums I am anticipating coming up next Friday. And if there ar several Iโ€™m looking forward to that means there are many times that many that will probably catch my eye as the days and weeks roll on.

Porter Robinson is one Iโ€™m looking forward to. Like to live what Iโ€™ve heard from Nurture so far.

Also, although I know I already mentioned nรฉe Bruno Pernadas coming out like a month ago, new Bruno Pernadas is for real (I hope) coming out on Friday. I mean it actually has a title - Private Reasons - and a cover on AOTY and everything!

New Dino Jr is somewhat interesting to me also coming Friday. Also new Field Music, and a new PJ Harvey EP are coming Friday. That PJ Harvey is a collab withNoah Cyrus. I donโ€™t know who Noah is. But PJH is a big deal so Iโ€™m looking forward to checking it out.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote

Palais D'argile by Feu! Chatterton

Haven't heard any discussion about this yet, it was released in March but I just got around to listening. I guess it could best be described as art rock. Though it has some very distinct French (incl. French-adjacent countries) influence, from Serge Gainsbourg to chansons of Brel/Brassens/Ferre, to even French jazz-film music of Michel Legrand. It's great, easily top 10 of 2021 so far. My chart is looking increasingly French!
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote

La Maquina by Conway The Machine

Conway released his second mixtape of the year. His February mixtape with Big Ghost is dope with some dark, atmospheric beats that remind me of 2015 Griselda. Now on this new one he's rapping over quite a few trap beats. This isn't something he's a stranger too by any means but I don't think he's emphasized trap beats this much on any project since The Devil's Reject (his first mixtape with Griselda). The project is pretty varied as a whole, we also get some classic Daringer and Alchemist production as well. I like how Griselda is feeding fans a nice variety of music as they continue to inch into some more commercial sounds.

Conway fans should definitely check it out. 'Scatter Brain' and '200 Pies' are two of my favorite tracks of the year largely due to excellent guest appearances from JID, Ludacris, and 2 Chainz.
_________________
Griselda, by Fashion Rebels
2020's Hip-Hop
2020's Country
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:


New Dino Jr is somewhat interesting to me also coming Friday. Also new Field Music, and a new PJ Harvey EP are coming Friday. That PJ Harvey is a collab withNoah Cyrus. I donโ€™t know who Noah is. But PJH is a big deal so Iโ€™m looking forward to checking it out.


Lol I must have been high af! That is pj HARDING! What a moron!

But listening to nurture now and itโ€™s great.


Nurture by Porter Robinson
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 282930 ... 606162  Next
Page 29 of 62


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
An Idiot Listens to Western Music: Co... RoundTheBend Music Diaries
BEA 2021 Championship Tournament? baystateoftheart Tournaments
2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nom... baystateoftheart Music
[ Poll ] 2021-2022 NHL Season cestuneblague Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.