2022 Music

Goto page Previous  123 ... 111213 ... 272829  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I've got a huge backlog of records I still need to check out, thanks in part to Hayden and some others.

That being said, these 3 records came out and they're all fantastic.


Midnight Rocker by Horace Andy

I had no idea what to expect from the 70 year old Reggae/Dancehall legend Horace Andy at this point. I was pretty stunned by just how great this is. It's not just that there's a phenomenal cover of his longtime collaborators Massive Attack. The whole record is pretty wonderful. Adrian Sherwood's production is a huge part of it.



The Line Is A Curve by Kae Tempest

Kae Tempest just has a way with words. This is top notch UK Hip Hop / spoken word. If you wish Mike Skinner/The Streets was still making good records, this is for you.



GOLD by Alabaster Deplume

A profound spiritual jazz record that stretches far beyond the confines of any genre barriers. May be the best thing I've heard this year.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
I've got a huge backlog of records I still need to check out, thanks in part to Hayden and some others.


My headphones RIP-ed this week, so it should give you some time to catch up ๐Ÿคฃ my queue is piling up fast too.

Speaking of, a new Black Star album was announced today. Reeeeaallly hoping itโ€™s good. Should be out next month.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
My headphones RIP-ed this week, so it should give you some time to catch up ๐Ÿคฃ my queue is piling up fast too.



Nooo! Sorry to hear about your headphones. That sucks.


In regards to catching up, I'm listening to this right now and I'm absolutely loving it.


The SLAM! Years (1983-1988) by Hamid El Shaeri
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Just released today. Great voice!


Link
  • Quote

Aethiopes by Billy Woodsย &ย Preservation
Billy Woods continues to be one of the best rappers working. I thought Brass was the best thing I've ever heard from him, but this one's just as good. Truly exceptional record.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
Hayden wrote:


The SLAM! Years (1983-1988) by Hamid El Shaeri


Fantastically good fun. Great rec, thanks! Jimmy, if you're ever still around, get on to this!


Cheers Norm/Hayden - I might just do that. Quick sample and Iโ€™m instantly reminded of the more upbeat tracks on that Finders Keepers Pomegranates set. Beats trawling my way through the Wet Leg album.

I only listen to compilations these days, so this goes nicely alongside the Miles Away/Acid Jazz Soul Drops compy I just picked upโ€ฆ
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
New Belle and Sebastian album in May. The new songs are mebbe more good than great but a new B&S album is still something to look forward to.
  • Quote

Level One Mage by Erik Gundel

My buddy Erik from the alt-R&B duo Gemma released this solo album. It's incredible. It's tough to describe. It's got some of Oneohtrix Point Never's genre-hopping madness, some of Animal Collctive's bubbly electronic psychedelic soundscapes. There's also some meditative Fripp style guitar. And the production is fantastic.


Link

_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Two releases worthy of note:


Targala, La Maison Qui N'en Est Pas Une by Emmanuelle Parrenin

New Parrenin is incredibly delicate yet somehow very concrete indeed. Not a huge fan of the "jazziest" bits on the album but the best moments are stellar.


Etienne Jaumet & Fabrizio Rat by Etienne Jaumet & Fabrizio Rat

Great progressive electronic album, respectful of the elders yet very contemporary.

Oh and for the electroclash amateur if they still exist (have they ever?), Miss Kittin and the Hacker are back and, while I wasn't so keen on what they did way back when, I surprisingly liked this one. Nothing earth shattering here, but very efficient - with a "retromania" feel to it that can sound melancholy if you're melancholy yourself. Worthy of a quick ear if you have nothing better cooking atm.
  • Quote
Inserisci qui un'introduzione fantasiosaโ€”


The Liquified Throne Of Simplicity by ล irom
I've kept an eye on Sirom for a few years, and I'm not sure if this is their best record, but it's certainly their most ambitious. Very interesting how many 80-ish+ minute albums are coming out this year (at a high quality too). Quasi-instrumental avant-folk, y'know? Like if Big Blood was a jam band. I honestly can't even identify some of the instruments used, but their sound swallows you right up. Check out their previous work if you decide to give this a spin.


Kadi Yombo by Papรฉ Nziengui
An Awesome Tapes From Africa release, I don't think this is technically even a 2022 album (I think it's from the 80s, but I'm kinda lost on the release), but this is wild. It's extraordinarily confident and precise despite being blatantly experimental.
Here's Papรฉโ€”

and here's a ngombi (Gabonese harp)โ€”

which I'm going to go on an ignorant limb here and say it's an instrument nobody here has heard on an album before. Worth giving it a spin just because of that.


Joyride by Nathan Bajar
An EP that is, in fact, not Some Rap Songs. Really lovely/dreamy r&b pop. Reviews aren't super hot, but I wouldn't sleep on it. Good handful of tracks.


Marianna by Latarnik
And for the melancholyโ€”

Also, Mdou Moctar have a remix album coming out on Monday. Should be neat.
Looking forward to giving than new Billy Woods a spin soon. Same with Wet Leg.
_________________
Doubles & Conch

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 111213 ... 272829  Next
Page 12 of 29


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
[ Poll ] 2022 BST Rd1: Go Downstairs to the Bl... cestuneblague Tournaments
Top 5 concerts of 2022 LedZep Music Diaries
[ Poll ] 2022 BST Rd1: Girlkind v Beautiful James cestuneblague Tournaments
Best Films of 2022 [Poll][Dead] Hayden Movies & TV

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.