First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Electro-Shock Blues by Eels
And that track is Climbing To The Moon which I haven't heard since 11 September 2007 which is not the worst song of the album.
I'm sorry: I'm only a lukewarm lover of Eels and this album might be the best example of this. It is indeed incredibly sad but I miss some good songs so this album only moves up from one of the last ranks to number 48 of my year chart.
And an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Smitten by Buffalo Tom A bit the forgotten album by this band I really like. It might not contain an unforgettable track but overall it is very good so it immediately goes to the 23rd rank of the year.
Huh. I've never seen that Buffalo Tom album b4. Will throw it on right now.
I've really grown to love the Eels 90s stuff over the last year or so. I also thought they were a Beck knock-ff band in the 90s, but I was so, so wrong!
For 1963,my birth year, not really except for beatles, dylan and beach boys; maybe only
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Les Bigotes by Jacques Brel
But that one also really because of the beautiful Les vieux, and mainly because of the lyrics so it helps to know a little French.
First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
13 by Blur
and that track is Optigan 1 I haven't heard since 2 December 2007 and is indeed some filler at the end of the album.
But in general this is one of their best not only because of the magnificent Coffee and TV but ex also for 1992. A very good album which rises a whopping 37 ranks from 60 to 23.
And an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Industrial Silence by Madrugada
One of these bands everybody needs to have listened to at least once and this is a good start although they might have better albums like the Deep End. They're Norwegian and pretty emo but they do write great songs. And the album enters at the 38th rank of the year.
These are the two albums of the year 2000 I listened to:
First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
American III: Solitary Man by Johnny Cash
with Nobody being the track I haven't listened to since 15 August 2007 and indeed not really my favorite.
Number IV will always be mu favorite with the great Personal Jesus and especially Hurt. But this is a good second. And there 's also two great tracks here: the Neil Diamond Cover Solitary Man which gets a very special take and I See A Darkness, a cover from Bonnie Prince Billy. Not everything is grand and especially near the end there's maybe a bit too much C&W (which I suppose is normal when your name is Johnny Cash) but this album again proves that Cash was great in reinterpreting already great songs with the help of Rick Rubin and the album goes from the 58th to the 26th rank of the year 2000.
And then an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Valedictory Songs by The Bevis Frond
One of the few albums of The Bevis Frond I haven't listened to and again this is a very good one. There are again some great guitar songs here like the magnificent Can't Feel It but it's maybe not so outspoken as on other albums. But still a very good one which ends at the 3rd rank of this not so good year in music.
First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
It's A Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse
and the song I haven't listened to in years was King Of Nails, last listened to on 28 June 2007, actually not the worst song of an album that is not really a favorite of mine, I don't know why. But of course this is still an Sparklehorse, so I cannot not put this in my year chart and it still rises from the 57th to the 47th rank of my year chart.
Then an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Rock It To The Moon by Electrelane
I recently discovered Electrelane by The Power Out and liked it very much so I also wanted to discover this first album of theirs and it left me with fixed feelings. The first track is very much ok and also the long ending track is good (although it's shorter than advertised because there's a mystery track at the end interspaced by a lot of silence), but is one of the best examples of their droning sound lent from Neu and The Doors but molded as their own by that very special organ. But the rest of the album is not yet really it, so I chose not to include it in my top chart.
First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash
And that track is The Man Comes Around I haven't listened to since 20 December 2007, one of the country songs on the album I'm not really a fan of.
But after American III came number IV which simply has to be the best of the series just because of that one track that stands out above all other songs he covered: Hurt. The first version by NIN was already very good but this one is just one of the most magnificent heart-breaking songs you will ever here, especially if combined by the video clip which can be easily found on Youtube. The song is just the example of utter fragility only a person can make in the face of death. In fact I first heard the song together with the videoclip because somebody advised me to and I was in shatters.
But of course I wouldn't put the album in my top chart if there was only that one track, also Personal Jesus is great and although his version of In My Life doesn't add a lot to the original, the song in itself is so good that also this version is a standout. Bridge Over Troubled Water and The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face are just ok. And there is indeed that flurry of country covers, some ok, some not really my thing, but hey, what do I want of a country artist.
But all in all a very good album which moves up from the 49th to 32st rank.
And an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Round Room by Phish
This was the first album after a long hiatus and in essence this is a sometimes very jazzy jam album with long songs which I can completely appreciate with the first Pebbles and Marbles, Walls Of The Cave and Waves as best examples. The shorter songs like Mock Song can be a bit silly but there is always some interesting guitar part to keep it interesting. And the album lands at the 27th rank of the year.
These are the two albums of 2003 I listened to with the ampersand as the connection:
First an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Youth & Young Manhood by Kings Of Leon
And that track is Dusty which is less dusty than its title suggests.
The first and in my opinion the best album of this band that quickly downhill after this album. The songs on this album sound fresh and raw and that's how I like them. A good debut which moves up from the 53rd to the 28th rank of the year.
And then an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Yours, Mine & Ours by Pernice Brothers
Also a recently discovered album of which I already listened to a few others. And what a good album this again is. There is nothing ground-breaking here but they are able to deliver the sunniest songs possible because of the breezy instrumentation but mostly because of the great harmonies in the singing. The most muscular track is in my opinion also the best here: One Foot In The Grave. The album lands at the 10th rank of 2003.
With an album I already own and of which there is a track I haven't heard in many years:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Brian Wilson Presents Smile by Brian Wilson
and that track is I'm In great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop I haven't listened to since 6 November 2007 and indeed a bit too fragmented to be actually very good.
And what an album this is. The whole thing revolves round a main theme which is at its best in the wonderful Heroes And Vilains. Good Vibrations is a bit the odd one out but is also one of their best tracks and simply one of the best songs ever made. There's maybe a bit too much interludiums on this album but the overall quality is just so good that this album just has to be upgraded from the 14th to the 7th rank.
And for the moment I don't have any remaining albums on my wishlist for this year.
And for the moment I don't have any remaining albums on my wishlist for this year.
I guess 2004 was a somewhat weak year, but you might consider checking out The Secret Life Of The Milk And Honey Band. (And I wouldn't interrupt, but I looked at your 2004 chart vs. my 2004 chart and we have 14 albums in common, and that album is my #3, so...)
I guess 2004 was a somewhat weak year, but you might consider checking out The Secret Life Of The Milk And Honey Band. (And I wouldn't interrupt, but I looked at your 2004 chart vs. my 2004 chart and we have 14 albums in common, and that album is my #3, so...)
Thx, I will certainly put this one on my wishlist for my next rounds. And even more: I looked at your 2004 list and there are many more albums I could add both from artists I know (Luna) as from artists I donโt know (Iโm curious for that Charlotte Hatherley album when I read the Allmusic review). These are the kind of reactions I can really appreciate ๐
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum