2023 Music

Goto page Previous  123 ... 15, 161718  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tap wrote:
Someone should add this new Equipment Pointed Ankh album because it's my favorite but I don't want to do data entry
https://tornlight.bandcamp.com/album/downtown
The first track was underwhelming, and they've only got one other album listed on BEA even though they've made 17 albums total. So I thought about politely suggesting that you could probably wait a while until you felt like doing it yourself, but... I kept listening, and it got better.


Downtown! by Equipment Pointed Ankh

There are even some bits in there that have that 80's "angular" vibe, which I'm a real sucker for, but I don't know if it'll make my Top 100 for the year. I'll give it another listen. ๐Ÿค”

Hayden wrote:
And this is just a ridiculously astonishing new record from Luzmila Carpio. Musically, I'm still not quite sure how Huayno works, but Carpio's new art pop spin on the Andean folk has created something I've never heard before.
I'm not sure I'm on board with "ridiculously astonishing," but I really like this one even though "Latin Folktronica" (or whatever one might call this) isn't my usual cup o' tea. It's not quite what one is likely to expect from just seeing the album cover, anyway. This probably will make my Top 100, I suspect!
  • Quote
MadhattanJack wrote:
until you felt like doing it yourself


Too much work ๐Ÿ™

Thnx for adding it! Now I just gotta get someone to add
https://sunikkim.bandcamp.com/album/potential and I can make a top two list
  • Quote
MadhattanJack wrote:
I'm not sure I'm on board with "ridiculously astonishing," but I really like this one


Fineโ€” ๐Ÿคฃ (I was running out of positive adjectives). Does sound kinda stupid now that I read it back.

Really awed me though. Haven't heard anything like it.



And glad you like the Ugandan albums Tapโ€” Nihiloxica's latest (which, for those not familiar with them, is not a death metal record) was surprisingly clean and focused. The electronic-prod half of the group did a little bit away with their DIY electro-grit/textural muscle sound, which was something I didn't know I would miss until it was gone, but the hypno-rhythms with the acoustic arrangements still create an excellent trance. They've still got a bit of that grit somewhere or another, but you feel it leaving them. Hope they hold onto it for as long as they can. They're a really exciting group.
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
And glad you like the Ugandan albums Tapโ€” Nihiloxica's latest (which, for those not familiar with them, is not a death metal record) was surprisingly clean and focused. The electronic-prod half of the group did a little bit away with their DIY electro-grit/textural muscle sound, which was something I didn't know I would miss until it was gone, but the hypno-rhythms with the acoustic arrangements still create an excellent trance. They've still got a bit of that grit somewhere or another, but you feel it leaving them. Hope they hold onto it for as long as they can. They're a really exciting group.

I really enjoyed this. It interestingly reminded me a bit of the Black Panther soundtrack: namely the combination of western-style 808s/hip-hop instrumentation combined with African percussion (if I recall, that combination is the basis of Killmonger's theme). Obviously a much different execution but it reminded me of some interview with Ludwig Gรถransson explaining what went on during his composition of Black Panther.

Luzmila Carpio is on my to-do list, and Bombino now too.

Had no idea Grrrl Gang's last "album" was a compilation of singles and not their debut. That compilation was one of my favorite albums of 2020. Can't say this actual debut album will fall in my top 10 for 2023, but it's probably close.

Agree with your comment about Mitski, I found the first listen a little... boring? But the more I listen the more I love it.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:

Inti Watana - El Retorno Del Sol by Luzmila Carpio
And this is just a ridiculously astonishing new record from Luzmila Carpio. Musically, I'm still not quite sure how Huayno works, but Carpio's new art pop spin on the Andean folk has created something I've never heard before. You might be familiar with Sumaj llajta (or her comp Yuyay Jap'ina Tapes), which merge Huayno and tonada potosina into something distinct, but she's somehow managed to add another layer to create something unique again. Reminds me of how when Elza Soares made her comeback. There's nothing like it.
Glad to hear that, I love both Sumaj llajta and Yuyay Jap'ina Tapes, but tried listening to one of her Western folk/pop oriented albums, The Song of the Earth and Stars, and that style did next to nothing for me. Combining the traditional Andean folk with its Western counterpart sounds like a wonderful idea in theory, though. Hopefully Inti Watana is better.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
My current obsession. I think this is my favorite song of 2023, so far.

Tell the Devil - Joseph Habedank


Link
  • Quote

Stings by Kamaal Williams

Lucky Teeth by Liam Noble & Geoff Simkins

Eel by Hyunhye Seo

Odd coincidence and/or neat trend. Even similar fonts on those first two.

Anywhoโ€”
Can't believe November's nearly upon us. Keep feeling like we have half the year left. Anybody have any specific records their still looking forward to? Keeping an eye on new records fromโ€”

Danny Brown
PinkPantheress (I don't know what it is about herโ€” in theory, she isn't really my thingโ€” but I think she has phenomenal potential and her last few singles are really innovative pop bangers)
Patrick Shiroishi
Hailu Mergia
Aรฏsha Devi
Jacob Gurevitsch
Ancient Infinity Orchestra
Aesop Rock (despite the ๐Ÿคฎ artwork)
Assiko Golden Band De Grand Yoff
Jockstrap
Tkay Maidza
Ali Sethi / Nicolรกs Jaar collab
Foodman
Brittany Howard
Iglooghost (maybe?)
Mach-Hommy (maybe?)
RTJ5 (?????)
& whatever that new Beatles song is.
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
Anybody have any specific records their still looking forward to?

As far as stuff I'm interested in (which is to say semi-gloomy/angelic indie/shoegaze/dreampop/punk/post-punk bands, and no comps, reissues, cover collections or live albums), after next week it's lookin' pretty thin.

We got the Emma Anderson album last week of course, and Universal Flames by Three Quarter Skies (Simon Scott) the other day, and also yesterday there was the new OMD album (which frankly isn't all that great)... On Halloween we'll be getting Holy Gaze by We Melt Chocolate, a shoegazey (mostly) instrumental act from Italy (I like them, but they won't make the BEA Top 1,000 for the year).

On Nov. 3, it's the new Drop Nineteens reunion LP Hard Light, Bar Italia's new album Twits, and the new Marnie Stern album (The Comeback Kid). Not much else for the rest of November, though... or the year, really.

In December, there'll be a new Peter Gabriel album called I/O,, which will probably be a bummer for the post-rock band I/O, who I like a lot better than the stuff Peter Gabriel's been doing recently. If you're into the hazy ambient-guitar subgenre, there's an interesting album called Everett by a guy who goes by the name "body/negative" โ€”ย I'll probably add that here when it comes out, if someone else doesn't get to it before I do.

If we see that new album by The Cure that they've been threatening us with for the past two years, it'll probably be a surprise drop, though they've already named their current tour after it (it's going to be called Songs of the Lost World, but there's no indication so far that it can be used as a play-over alternate soundtrack for the 1925 silent stop-action movie - too bad, really).

Quote:
RTJ5 (?????)

Must be Run The Jewels - they title their albums RTJ2, RTJ3, etc., and the next one should be #5.

Quote:
...whatever that new Beatles song is.



Link


Not bad, but I'm sort of hoping this will be the last one they "assemble" like this. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
MadhattanJack wrote:

Quote:
RTJ5 (?????)

Must be Run The Jewels - they title their albums RTJ2, RTJ3, etc., and the next one should be #5.


Sorry Jack, my question marks were in reference to whether or not it might happen, not what the album was (I wrote it in :lol:)โ€” Mike's album kinda flopped, and I know the duo's working on new material... thought they might drop it as a surprise a la RTJ3.


And thanks for the Beatles trackโ€” I'm going to assume this isn't the 'official' cut, but I like it. Very interesting hearing a Beatles song with modern production (fan made? I think). Has Grizzly Bear/Flaming Lips/Tame Impala vibes.
  • Quote
For upcoming releases, the new Matmos is gonna be a great one. Also this Koma Saxo seems like it's gonna be an absolute blast https://wejazzrecords.bandcamp.com/album/post-koma

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 15, 161718  Next
Page 16 of 18


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <... Repo Music Diaries
2023 Music You're Looking Forward To LTSings Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED-2023 BST: 100 Gecs vs Carson Coma cestuneblague Tournaments
[ Poll ] CLOSED-2023 BST: Billie Eilish v Blon... cestuneblague Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.