Albums That Got You Into Different Genres

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
As I've posted in the "What Album" thread, I just got done with my second Harkan album, "HArK." Normally, I don;t like ambience. But the more I progressed through the album, the more I came to like it. I believe Harkan's music can help me get into more ambience. So, I'd like to ask everyone, What albums got you into genres you never thought you'd like?

Here are mine:
Shoegaze: mbv. Without that album, I never would've understood "Loveless."
Britpop: "Parklife." It helped me start a thread on Britpop, and that counts for somethnig.
Psychedelic: "Surrealistic Pillow" This album got me trying the band Love. I've heard two albums from each band.
Blues: "Led Zeppelin"
Funk rock: "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
Dream Pop: a mix of "Loveless" and "I Could Live in Hope"
Country: "The Legend of Cash", "Charlie Daniels Greatest Hits"
Jazz "Aja", This album giot me to try John Coltrane.
Electronic: "Random Access Memories" because of that album, I've tried more Daft Punk and a few other electronic albums.
Grunge: "Dirt." Although I try to stay away from the negative messages of Alice in Chains, this album got me to try 20 different grunge albums.
Contemporary pop: "Believe"
Rap/Hip-hop "Licensed to ill." Really, it was only the first track of this album that made me a Beastie boys fan.
Punk: "American Idiot" I've heard a couple punk albums before this one, but "American Idiot" was the first punk album I actually liked.
  • Quote
Arrested Development's 3 Years, 5 Months ... helped me get into hip hop.
  • Quote
Aphex Twin was the beginning of my interest in electronic and ambient music as well as hip/hop.
  • Quote
Grimes got me into electro-pop. ๐Ÿ˜œ Unless you count Bjork as electro-pop because I liked her music before Grimes, but still...
  • Quote
Ambient: The Disintegration Loops
Avant-Garde Metal: Adultery (Dog Fashion Disco)
Stoner Rock: Dopesmoker
House: Homework
IDM: Kirlian Selections (The Flashbulb)
Hardcore Punk: Zen Arcade
Indie Pop: Mass Romantic
Folk: One Foot In The Grave but not as a cohesive album (cohesive album would be Tallahassee)
Noise Rock: Sister
Crunkcore: Nope
  • Quote
Danger Mouse's mashup album "The Grey Album" got me into hip-hop. I used to be a hardcore dadrocker. I mean, it was bad, all I listened to and cared about was classic rock and couldn't give less than a crap about any modern music. A good friend of mine told me about "The Grey Album" and the attraction of The Beatles mixed with Jay-Z was interesting. I tried it and it led to a musical epiphany I eventually had that led to my interest in all different kinds of music.
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
what sucks ass is that neutral milk hotel got me into the whole indie thing and now i'm just kind of unimpressed with everything else in the genre
if someone could recc something better than nmh i would marry you
_________________
Pipe Dreams is a virus...
  • Quote
karbutt wrote:
what sucks ass is that neutral milk hotel got me into the whole indie thing and now i'm just kind of unimpressed with everything else in the genre
if someone could recc something better than nmh i would marry you


Joanna Newsom? Eh, wait, what is indie? What a quandary. Either way, Joanna Newsom will save your life. ;P
Built to Spill is good, they're ultra indie sounding to me.
  • Quote
Gothic Rock - Disintegration
Post Punk - Closer
Grunge - Nevermind
Heavy Metal - Paranoid
Glam Rock - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Punk - Never Mind the Bollocks
Shoegazer - Loveless
  • Quote
Demon Days - Music ๐Ÿ˜„

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
What album got you into a new genre? kickerofelves Music
What was the first album you really g... littlejacob420 Music
[ Poll ] Different names for different bands Guest Music
The music that got me into each genre Fischman Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.