What is it with Sgt Peppers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/23/2012 16:27
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
It's such an lazy album, you can find most of the songs on better albums.

Yeah, right, 2 songs are considered "most of the songs" in an album which also happens to have quite a lot of other material.

This is sorta like rating a compilation, I don't base it on whether the songs have appeared on better albums, but whether the songs are good.

So it think it defeats the purpose of rating YS a bit if you lower down your rating by saying it's a lazy album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/23/2012 16:40
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
the style of the White Album was cynically copied from Dylan's John Wesley Harding.

Woah, dude, I hope you don't believe that nonsense anymore.

Maybe the basic idea of doing a different kind of album after a revolutionary, popular-as-hell work was copied from Dylan's album (which I like very much, BTW), but the way they approached the style was COMPLETELY different. I don't want to write a long essay on it, but The White Album's achievement was also arguably greater than Dylan's. JWH is awesome, but The White Album is a very rare kind of album. By your standards, it would be the peak of Beatles' creativity, which is why I'm surprised people like you rate relatively mediocre albums like Abbey Road higher ("relatively" is the key word here, I happen to like Abbey Road very much). In fact, I have yet to see a good argument against The White Album. That's perhaps because the elements which would normally lower down the quality of many other albums, actually work here. It's a flawed work where the flaws feel like enhancements to the experience. It's filled with riddles and nonsensical fragments, and contradictions (it's feel of being relaxed AND filled with tension, for example). It's the very distortion of an album. It's self-destructing but never seems depressed/depressing. It revels in its quirkiness, and makes the whole experience uncompromising yet fun.

Sorry, but I have yet to see that anywhere else, except for Twin Infinitives, Trout Mask Replica, Metal Machine Music, 1/2 Gentlement/Not Beasts, and Parable of Arable Land.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/23/2012 17:14
  • Post subject:
Considering the other half of the album is instrumentals by George Martin that leaves only 4 original Beatles songs, not found anywhere else.

Also, nowhere have I found anything to do with The White Album having anything to do with John Wesley Harding. Stop bullshitting.
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/23/2012 19:59
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Considering the other half of the album is instrumentals by George Martin that leaves only 4 original Beatles songs, not found anywhere else.

Also, nowhere have I found anything to do with The White Album having anything to do with John Wesley Harding. Stop bullshitting.

Then open up your ears and get a sense of perspective on rock history. JWH shifted the mood of rock music to something more simple and traditional, and the Beatles exploited this change by popularizing it. Unlike JWH, the White album lacks cohesion sounding like a collection made by 4 individuals.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/23/2012 20:02
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
In fact, I have yet to see a good argument against The White Album.

Lolwat.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/24/2012 08:31
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Lolwat.

I also said after it that all the flaws feel like enhancements, which is why every argument that dwells on The Beatles' flaws, doesn't work for me.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/24/2012 08:39
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
Then open up your ears and get a sense of perspective on rock history. JWH shifted the mood of rock music to something more simple and traditional, and the Beatles exploited this change by popularizing it. Unlike JWH, the White album lacks cohesion sounding like a collection made by 4 individuals.

I STRONGLY disagree with you. On the surface, The Beatles may be more simple, but it is exactly the opposite of traditional. JWH was traditional and simple, with some creative touches.

And who cares about cohesion if something that lacks cohesion is more enjoyable?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/24/2012 08:41
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:

3 of which are among the best of The Beatles.

Yeah, I also think hairymarx1 is going too far with his JWH comparison.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/24/2012 17:47
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
I also said after it that all the flaws feel like enhancements, which is why every argument that dwells on The Beatles' flaws, doesn't work for me.

Oh, yeah? Well that last comma was unnecessary. So there.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/25/2012 16:46
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Oh, yeah? Well that last comma was unnecessary. So there.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website