real life non-fiction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic
thejoj96

• Posted: 07/27/2012 19:25
  • Post subject:
musicmanstu wrote:
I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided I would like to know what the best Punk album of all time is? Having heard enough of it to form an opinion, but maybe not an honest opinion?? Tell me where to start in the genre and I will give it an honest go. Thanx.

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables, Marquee Moon, Pink Flag, The Clash's self-titled, Ramones self-titled, Rocket to Russia, Double Nickels on the Dime, Youth of America

Last edited by thejoj96 on 07/27/2012 19:48; edited 2 times in total
musicmanstu

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2012 19:33
  • Post subject:
I would also like to apologize to those I offended with my thoughts on what could be their favorite music or artists. I KNOW how wound up I can get if people insult my music. Anyways, life is about trying to become a better person. This is what I try to teach my daughters, to be open minded and considerate of others.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/27/2012 19:40
  • Post subject:
Also listen to Nevermind The Bollocks
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 07/27/2012 19:52
  • Post subject:
more of the best:
Saccharine Trust- Paganicons
Flipper- Generic Album
The pop group- y
Oh My Gawwd- The Flaming Lips
Bad Brains- Bad Brains
Black Flag- Damaged

If you really honestly want to "get" punk music you need to listen to a variety of stuff to understand how the genre works. You have to try to divorce yourself from how you are used to listening to and judging music. Punk does not work like heavy metal, just like how heavy metal does not work like punk. It is always like that with unfamiliar genres.

Link

These guys can play their instruments fairly well, they started playing jazz fusion before punk.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/28/2012 02:58
  • Post subject:
musicmanstu wrote:
I would also like to apologize to those I offended with my thoughts on what could be their favorite music or artists. I KNOW how wound up I can get if people insult my music. Anyways, life is about trying to become a better person. This is what I try to teach my daughters, to be open minded and considerate of others.

I don't think you offended people on here too much. I think it is more linked to the last point of this quote. Be open minded with music and sometimes you don't know what you'll find. My music taste when I first came to this site was limited to mainstream pop/rock with some 80s influences entwined. Now, I am listening to Uriah Heep, Kraftwerk, Foetus, Tim Hecker and Wire, because of this site.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/28/2012 04:29
  • Post subject:
musicmanstu wrote:
I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided I would like to know what the best Punk album of all time is? Having heard enough of it to form an opinion, but maybe not an honest opinion?? Tell me where to start in the genre and I will give it an honest go. Thanx.

Finally........

That's great. Besides the ones mentioned already, I would also recommend Butthole Surfers' early albums (Butthole Surfers EP, Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac, Rembrandt Pussyhorse, Locust Abortion Technician) and Husker Du's "Zen Arcade".
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website