Music, Age and Personal Preferences

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 10/25/2012 08:42
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Although I do think, having listened to them, Panda Bear isn't all that spectacular,

Me neither, quite the contrary, it was just an example, because I gave Person Pitch a re-listen today.

Quote:
I think most of the members on here are aware of The Beach Boys... and I assume you're alluding to Pet Sound or The Smile Sessions.

I don't think you read my post right (or maybe I didn't express myself properly, being swedish and all), I was referring to the bands/artists that were influenced by The Beach Boys, not The Beach Boys themselves.

Stuff like:
Billy Nicholls
Sagittarius
The Pleasure Fair
The Critters
Peppermint Trolley Company
Picadilly Line
Kaleidoscope UK
Margo Guryan
The Millennium

I know people like Norman Bates or NowaxJim or Mind Movie (what happened to him) are familiar with several of these artists, but they're in the very big minority. Plus, as far as I know, they're not a part of the younger generation here.

Beach Boys was also just an example, I'm far from the biggest fan of them on the site, but their influence was undeniable.

So I'll try to repeat my point: Many members spend a lot of time listening to as much as they can of what's released every year, but when it comes to music from the sixties, they only hear the stuff on RS500 and then claims to "know" sixties music.

For example, Hayden has even written this in his chart description:

Quote:
... I gave your generations music a try. Now it's time for you to give mine a try.

Well, he wrote in some thread that he hadn't even heard of The Hollies Surprised
That's like me saying that I know todays music and then don't even know who The White Stripes are (ok, that analogy is not great, but you get my point).

Last edited by gussteivi on 10/25/2012 09:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 10/25/2012 08:48
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:

That's not to say the great music is only made by younger people, because it obviously isn't. Still I would assume most people would agree the a greater portion of the music enjoyed is written by younger people?

Well, I think this has to do with the fact that rock music becomes unmodern so quickly. A rock musician has to re-invent himself every 5-10 years or else his music is rendered irrelevant, and that's not an easy thing to do apparently.

But if we talk about classical music, most composers had their creative peak in the latter stages of their lives (Beethoven!).
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 10/25/2012 12:18
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
I think you all know by now which word I use to describe that phenomenon.

You do realise as a 23 year old who makes a point of listening to incredibly obscure 60s albums and who makes a point of rolling his eyes at the majority of modern music, you fit that word more than most on here? Smile

• Posted: 10/25/2012 13:20
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Beach Boys was also just an example, I'm far from the biggest fan of them on the site, but their influence was undeniable.

This.

They were almost as influential as Rakim.
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 10/25/2012 20:57
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
You do realise as a 23 year old who makes a point of listening to incredibly obscure 60s albums and who makes a point of rolling his eyes at the majority of modern music, you fit that word more than most on here? Smile

Of course I do, I will never deny the fact that I'm a hypocrite of gargantuan proportions.

My only defence is that I never listen to obscure music for obscurity's sake. I've listened to many obscure albums that I think are shit and I would never have them anywhere near any of my charts.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/25/2012 21:02
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
I was referring to the bands/artists that were influenced by The Beach Boys, not The Beach Boys themselves.
(...)
Margo Guryan

That's stretching it a bit!
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 10/25/2012 21:10
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
That's stretching it a bit!

Well I agree that her music isn't exactly a spitting image of The Beach Boys', but:

Quote:
Inspired to pursue pop music after discovering the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds, Margo Guryan, a schooled jazz pianist, crafted brilliant pop gems

I'd say it's not unfair to say she was influenced by them.
  • Visit poster's website
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2012 21:23
  • Post subject:
I admit I am probably biased towards the music of my middle and high school years, but I like newer music just fine and continue to investigate new bands regularly. It's the older stuff that I have a hard time getting into for some reason.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 10/25/2012 21:57
  • Post subject:
This is by far my favorite thread in a forum in a long time if not ever either here at BEA or anywhere. I feel like writing a treatise just based on the comments I read from you. Nearly every other line sets me a reeling. A pleasure my dear children, a real pleasure.

Youth is more open minded and old-age is more experienced. These are not subjects to debate these are facts but the interpretation and the meaning you give to those facts is itself subject to debate. (Yes there is a physiological basis to this which is called brain plasticity). Being open minded or experienced are neither necessarily good nor bad, they can be both or neither - as long as you are open minded about it and have experience enough to understand it of course.

Youth is more open minded because it is easier to fill an empty vessel and old-age is more experienced because by pure mathematical calculations I have been listening to music in my life for more hours than some of you have been born.

I think that people who love music and who bother to stop in a site like BEA and to comment on the forums and listen to new albums because they see them on a list or hear comments on this site are highly likely to be both more open minded AND more experienced about music than the average person - or are working towards becoming it.

Dang time flies ...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website