Best Ever Albums (and similar sites) effect on musical taste

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 11/17/2012 01:16
  • Post subject:
haha, I don't really "discuss" music here, and I don't think many others do either. I think the greatest thing about BEA is that its "better" (for lack of a better term) users charts are amalgamations of all the publications charts. I came to BEA as a kid tired of the RS 500, and found personal favorites matched with Pitchfork faves, Scaruffi faves, etc. within the same charts.

Other sites do this, such as RYM allow this too. What makes BEA great is its incredibly personal forums, where users are allowed to pretty much do anything; and the user base is so small that every user has a basic personality snapshot of other users.

So, the great thing about BEA is finding users with similar tastes as you, and finding out from which sources they got their stuf from, I think.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2012 01:19
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I can respect that but indie music is something that no matter how much I listen to it, it sounds so pretentious and dry to me. I can't say I'm proud of that or even happy since that is apparently considered to be some of the better music in more modern times.

Indie is just a label that refers to rock and pop artists who are independent labels or under the radar, which means there are a lot of different sounds associated with it. I bet there's some artists or bands you might like, just like there's some mainstream I like. I also like a lot of older music.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2012 03:40
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
haha, I don't really "discuss" music here, and I don't think many others do either. I think the greatest thing about BEA is that its "better" (for lack of a better term) users charts are amalgamations of all the publications charts. I came to BEA as a kid tired of the RS 500, and found personal favorites matched with Pitchfork faves, Scaruffi faves, etc. within the same charts.

That's interesting because I originally came here just to organize the music I listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/17/2012 03:57
  • Post subject:
Websites like these "expanded" what bands I listen to and etc. Beforehand I was extremely open minded to music and listened to many different types(other than dubstep, which I have a hatred for). I actually used to be a huge fan of oldies, but then I discovered something I liked even better through searching through band's catalogs and websites such as these. Oldies aren't my favorite type of music anymore, but there are definitely oldies that I am a huge fan of(specifically Pink Floyd and Dire Straits). Thanks to this particular website I got into Pubic Enemy, The Avalanches, Eels, and many others.
thejoj96

• Posted: 11/17/2012 04:07
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Websites like these "expanded" what bands I listen to and etc. Beforehand I was extremely open minded to music and listened to many different types(other than dubstep, which I have a hatred for). I actually used to be a huge fan of oldies, but then I discovered something I liked even better through searching through band's catalogs and websites such as these. Oldies aren't my favorite type of music anymore, but there are definitely oldies that I am a huge fan of(specifically Pink Floyd and Dire Straits). Thanks to this particular website I got into Pubic Enemy, The Avalanches, Eels, and many others.

lol
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/17/2012 11:14
  • Post subject:
420BongRitsu69 wrote:

Thank god I don't actually talk about music here.

You just have. Welcome!
  • Visit poster's website