Why do you believe what you believe? (religion)

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2012 03:49
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Basically Russell's Teapot.

Something along these lines.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/05/2012 14:23
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Because it agrees with my reason and my common sense.

You're a Scientologist?
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2012 23:22
  • Post subject:
No
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/05/2012 23:59
  • Post subject:
General ontology, for the most part. Also, I think belief in free will and objective values/duties is properly basic, although I'm open minded about challenging these concepts.
  • Visit poster's website
ZebraRock

• Posted: 11/23/2012 15:19
  • Post subject:
This is really an interesting forum! Why do we believe what we do? I'm especially interested in seeing some of the atheist answers.

By the way, I hope this doesn't start a fight, or anything, but with regards to Happymeal's comment, I think that's actually one of the biggest reasons pro-religion, not against it.
The idea that purpose and beauty in life is so much more because their exists a loving and thinking being, a force of unimagineable power and wisdom, that feels infinite love for his creation, is probabbly a big one with christians everywhere.

Me personally? I'm not actually too sure why I started believing. It was a long time ago to say the least. But in my past, several times I've considered atheism, even edged towards it. I found it horrible, one of the worst experiences of my life. So I keep coming back. Everything that happens to me seems to internally validate it.

Unfortunately I can't give you a logical or scientific reason why I believe what I do. If I could, I would have converted half the world by now!
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/23/2012 19:04
  • Post subject:
ZebraRock wrote:
I've considered atheism, even edged towards it. I found it horrible, one of the worst experiences of my life. So I keep coming back.

That's interesting. I hear a number of my more religious friends say they couldn't live without their faith. I suppose if God is the greatest thread in your fabric of reality, to suddenly remove him would just unravel the whole thing. To deny God for someone like you I guess would be a lot like waking up to find you're in the Matrix.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/23/2012 19:43
  • Post subject:
I'm agnostic. I think there might be a "God", but no-one can ever say for sure one way or the other. I certainly don't follow any organised religion. I believe western religions were invented by the rich to stop the poor from revolting. However, I totally understand why people turn to religion. As Marx said, "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". What I don't like is when people try and force their beliefs upon you - but atheists are just as guilty of this as religious people. I hate Richard Dawkins.

I think the main reason I am agnostic is that I was brought up in a secular household. If my parents were religious, chances are I'd have been religious too. Obviously I can think for myself, but I don't think you can overstate the influence of the people who raised you - be it that you agree with them or that you rebelled against them.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2012 17:24
  • Post subject:
I mean, it just boils down to no evidence for one, the existence of evil, and the habits of organized religion. I totally wish I could be spiritual though, I've tried (sort of) recently, and thought that I found god in 3 different songs I listened to (on all 3 occasions I was fairly stoned). Can't keep looking in that direction because of the random drug testing, but maybe I can pursue that route again in April.

the songs were "reckoner" by radiohead, "white rabbit" by jefferson airplane, and "are you experienced?" by the jimi hendrix experience, btw

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2012 19:53
  • Post subject:
I find that the behaviour of many within organized religion has turned people off of organized religion and even spirituality as a whole. It's unfortunate - it prevents many from assessing faith without distraction.

I for one struggle with it - I'd like to think I have some faith, but so much of modern religion annoys, angers or disappoints me. I realize that it doesn't have to be that way, and I'm searching for positive examples to help me sort it out.

More than anything - I think everyone should live and let live. Neither atheists or the devout are stupid, ignorant or doomed because of their beliefs. They may be stupid or ignorant because of their personality or behaviour, however.