• Post subject:
The question in the title of this topic is... words fail me. :roll:
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/30/2012 12:27
  • Post subject:
When Creep came out it blew me away, as it did a lot of other people. Fortunately, I purchased Pablo Honey and fell in love with Anyone Can Play Guitar before I grew sick of hearing Creep everywhere I went.

When The Bends was released it instantly became my favourite album. I felt like it was the culmination of everything good that had happened in music since the end of the sixties. Let me state for the record that I don't still hold that opinion, I've learned a lot since then but I'm still listening to it and still loving every track (with the possible exception of High and Dry which can be a bit cloying).

In many ways O.K. Computer is an even better album, certainly more inventive but, at the time, didn't have quite the same impact on me.

In retrospect, the significance of this period of Radiohead's work has certainly been diluted by the avalanche of new bands that followed, either inspired by them or just adopting their sound in a bid for success.

In what may have been a move to say "Bite This!" to all those other bands, Radiohead left all that behind with Kid A which, to me, seemed like a bit of a curveball at the time but now feels more of a logical progression and has certainly grown on me over the years.

The albums which followed are less essential but still interesting, with In Rainbows being something of a return to form.

In conclusion, I like them and if you don't then reading this is not going to change your mind. So, why am I writing it? Somethin' to do, innit!.. and I need the points.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2012 21:38
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
When Creep came out it blew me away, as it did a lot of other people. Fortunately, I purchased Pablo Honey and fell in love with Anyone Can Play Guitar before I grew sick of hearing Creep everywhere I went.

When The Bends was released it instantly became my favourite album. I felt like it was the culmination of everything good that had happened in music since the end of the sixties. Let me state for the record that I don't still hold that opinion, I've learned a lot since then but I'm still listening to it and still loving every track (with the possible exception of High and Dry which can be a bit cloying).

In many ways O.K. Computer is an even better album, certainly more inventive but, at the time, didn't have quite the same impact on me.

In retrospect, the significance of this period of Radiohead's work has certainly been diluted by the avalanche of new bands that followed, either inspired by them or just adopting their sound in a bid for success.

In what may have been a move to say "Bite This!" to all those other bands, Radiohead left all that behind with Kid A which, to me, seemed like a bit of a curveball at the time but now feels more of a logical progression and has certainly grown on me over the years.

The albums which followed are less essential but still interesting, with In Rainbows being something of a return to form.

In conclusion, I like them and if you don't then reading this is not going to change your mind. So, why am I writing it? Somethin' to do, innit!.. and I need the points.

Points well earned on this one. Applause
  • Visit poster's website