Jake Bugg - The Working Class Hero? The New Bob Dylan?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:38
  • Post subject: Jake Bugg - The Working Class Hero? The New Bob Dylan?
I'm listening to his debut album right now. I am several songs in and I have to say it has taken me by surprise. A good surprise? A bad surprise? Well neither and a bit of both actually.

First of all, my expectations were not high. I had heard things about this guy and "music for the people" and "working class hero" had been thrown around too much by sources that included the NME. I was expecting someone who would be here in 2012 and not heard from in a few years. Gone like The Automatic.

Well, first song in 'Lightning Bolt' and I have to say I am incredibly impressed. The rolling guitar and his lyrical flowing made for a fantastic opener. More than that... wait for it... wait for it... the song reminded me of 'I Shall Be Free" Surprised Well more of the part where Bob is on the phone to JFK. I have now seen others compare him to Bobby D and I have to say I would agree. You may or may not think the... sincerity Bob had is there (not sure if sincerity is the right word, I think there is a much better one on the tip of my tongue) but he definitely writes a catchy song.

The album plays fairly well after that. There are good points but not really a great song. But over the course of listening, and this is one of the bigger reasons I am writing this thread, it becomes clear this is meant to be "music for the people". That may seem like a compliment but actually it is not.... this is aiming too clearly for "music for the people". You see... along with the masculine expectations western society dictates today, there are lesser known ones. Usually only affecting one country or one small area. Perhaps a better word would be status quo? I don't know. Well here, in the UK, there is this... thing where males between 16-45 are generally expected to consider 'The Stone Roses' debut of the best things that ever happened to music. Oasis made some of the greatest songs of all time. Jeer when the latest "music for little girls" that Simon Cowell is pushing comes on the screen even though The Beatles have been taken by "the lads". Jedward are bollocks while The Enemy are great...

So why does the above bother me? Well here, all of these established acts are a big influence. The sum of parts for this album, heck even the sum of parts for the guy himself, makes the most clinched list of bands the typical guitar loving, beer drinking "lad" from England likes. And it shows... oh it shows. This is lying in bed with a cigarette, words about "love and peace" without tackling any of the obstacles to achieve it, vague poetry, something about England, something about walking in "the country". It's just all typical. Okay... he is a youngster, he may get more adventurous in time. Just now, it isn't saying a whole lot to me.

Music aside (and it has it's moments, I'll give it that) it just feels like more of the same. The Arctic Monkeys all over again. This guy is meant to be the messiah of the 6 strings yet he just feels like another cookie cut "working class hero" who is sure to say in the interview he makes "music for the people". "Music for the people"... that saying... it is used so much. What about "music for the introvert"? "Music for the idiot"? "Music for future idols"? Something more exciting. Why not dress in clothes ENTIRELY painted in bright acrylic? Or would someone who did that be heckled by our working class hero as a tosser who only cares about their image. And like a politician with their colored tie, they will have the correct image. A parker coat , a trendy haircut and upmarket demin jeans. With the acoustic guitar in hand, how many more will use this tired image to represent the "people" and use it to bankroll their parties, talking about talking about talking about talks and giving their empty promises?

"Don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters" Rolling Eyes

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:41
  • Post subject:
He's boring and contrived. And to compare him to Dylan, however fleetingly, is quite frankly blasphemous.
Kiki

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:45
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
He's boring and contrived. And to compare him to Dylan, however fleetingly, is quite frankly blasphemous.

3 minutes? It took me a good 2-3 hours writing this article and I'm still sure there are mistakes in their. I hope you took time to read it all the way as I think it does explain where I am coming from.

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:54
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
3 minutes? It took me a good 2-3 hours writing this article and I'm still sure there are mistakes in their. I hope you took time to read it all the way as I think it does explain where I am coming from.

I did read what you wrote, and actually agreed. I still don't see any semblance between he and Dylan. Sorry I didn't make it clear. But yes, he's very post-Arctic Monkeys. Sounds like he spent too much time listening to Oasis.

EDIT: I did read what you wrote, and actually agreed. My ire was directed at the lazy journalists I've seen compare him to Dylan, simply because he plays a guitar and sings about "the times". I still don't see any semblance between he and Dylan, and I'm not sure how you do TBH. But yes, he's very post-Arctic Monkeys. Sounds like he spent too much time listening to Oasis.
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2012 22:22
  • Post subject:
Shouldn't we be comparing newer people to Bright Eyes first? There's levels here I would figure.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/08/2012 22:28
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I did read what you wrote, and actually agreed. I still don't see any semblance between he and Dylan. Sorry I didn't make it clear. But yes, he's very post-Arctic Monkeys. Sounds like he spent too much time listening to Oasis.

EDIT: I did read what you wrote, and actually agreed. My ire was directed at the lazy journalists I've seen compare him to Dylan, simply because he plays a guitar and sings about "the times". I still don't see any semblance between he and Dylan, and I'm not sure how you do TBH. But yes, he's very post-Arctic Monkeys. Sounds like he spent too much time listening to Oasis.

Ok Smile I guess the music on the first song reminded me of something that might be on 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' album and then seeing others also mention it I thought I would too.

Also just remembered The Libertines. Love them or loathe them, I bet this guy falls in the former!
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/09/2012 03:52
  • Post subject:
no he's not
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 12/09/2012 16:28
  • Post subject:
To be honest as much as I loved it,the whole British 'indie' renaissance of the early to late 00's is starting to sound stale and irrelevant and this guy has come along at the wrong time.I'd probably have loved him 2 or 3 years ago,but it just sounds like to me he's doing a bad Alex Turner impression.I will however admit he's a 100x better than Ed Sheeran,whom a lot of my friends seem to be comparing him to.
  • Visit poster's website
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 12/10/2012 10:25
  • Post subject:
He's just a guy at the moment. At this rate he won't be either
  • Visit poster's website