Longer Greatest Album Charts?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 12/08/2012 15:47
  • Post subject:
Keep them at 100 for the overall. The high level members charts will have an overwhelming impact on the overall chart if we were to go further than 200. Despite what they have done for the website it will begin to be a little unfair.

Explaining aside, I'm a little disappointed someone asked for this. albummaster gave you 100 album charts and are asking for more!
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2012 19:10
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 12/08/2012 19:11
  • Post subject:
compromise both sides to make 150
gtroda

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:10
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Explaining aside, I'm a little disappointed someone asked for this. albummaster gave you 100 album charts and are asking for more!

I think my original intention may have been misunderstood. Maybe I didn't expain well. I'm not necessarily asking for more just for the sake of more (although, who doesn't want more of a good thing they like?).

I was thinking more along the lines that the fact that albums are given points towards the overall count on the decade and yearly charts may skew the overall chart rankings of albums. If we are truly in search of the best album ever, I would think that where an album ranks on someone's overall chart is more relevant than where it ranks in a decade chart.

For example I would think having a point structure that reflects that I think Blind Faith is the 178th best album ever is more relevant to the overall goal than the fact that I think it was the 17th best album of the 1960s.
gtroda

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:12
  • Post subject: Re: Longer Greatest Album Charts?
albummaster wrote:
This an on-going issue. Every year people want to have bigger & bigger charts, but where do we stop? We have to pick an arbitrary number to make the site work the best it can. I'm not against increasing the size of the overall charts for higher level members (if people want to do this), but the current mechanism would need to be re-developed because I don't think it would scale to that volume (so it's not something that could be done quickly, and probably something for 2013).

Understood. Thank you for considering.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2012 21:35
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:
I think my original intention may have been misunderstood. Maybe I didn't expain well. I'm not necessarily asking for more just for the sake of more (although, who doesn't want more of a good thing they like?).

I was thinking more along the lines that the fact that albums are given points towards the overall count on the decade and yearly charts may skew the overall chart rankings of albums. If we are truly in search of the best album ever, I would think that where an album ranks on someone's overall chart is more relevant than where it ranks in a decade chart.

For example I would think having a point structure that reflects that I think Blind Faith is the 178th best album ever is more relevant to the overall goal than the fact that I think it was the 17th best album of the 1960s.

Charts are not weighted the same:
Overall charts: 100, Decade charts: 20*, Year charts: 5*, Custom charts: 0.
(* If a year or decade chart was last updated before the relevant time period had completed, the elapsed number of days that had passed when the chart was updated, are taken into consideration when calculating the points.)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/08/2012 22:05
  • Post subject:
Why not just have charts that go to 200 for Level 8 members, but stipulate that any albums between 101 and 200 do not affect the overall rankings in any way. TBH, I never think about how the overall rankings will be affected when I add my albums - I just add my favourites regardless - but I would like to be able to make a bigger overall chart. Although I'm sure the site has more pressing concerns.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2012 22:46
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Why not just have charts that go to 200 for Level 8 members, but stipulate that any albums between 101 and 200 do not affect the overall rankings in any way. TBH, I never think about how the overall rankings will be affected when I add my albums - I just add my favourites regardless - but I would like to be able to make a bigger overall chart. Although I'm sure the site has more pressing concerns.

My Overall Chart: 101-200 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8384
My Overall Chart: 201-300 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8407
My Overall Chart: 301-400 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8630

(This does the exact same thing. Because the additional charts are custom charts, they don't count in the overall rankings.)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/09/2012 01:29
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
My Overall Chart: 101-200 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8384
My Overall Chart: 201-300 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8407
My Overall Chart: 301-400 http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8630

(This does the exact same thing. Because the additional charts are custom charts, they don't count in the overall rankings.)

Yes, but ideally I'd like to see it in one place. But as I said, there are more pressing issues and I'm not overly fussed one way or another.
linusishungry

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/16/2012 22:36
  • Post subject:
Maybe you could expand the chart size for higher level users, but keep the points systems only for the top 100
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website