Charicature

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2009 16:50
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:
"Can you imagine when this race is won
Turn our golden faces into the sun "

That's a good line.

These musicians should do some research or somethin before writing songs like these. You don't see anyone singing about the Middle East and how that is the most dangerous place for a nuclear war to break out. There might not be as many nukes there, but the countries are much more apt to use them. Stupid musicians and their feelings.

Umm...you realize when the song was written, only 5 countries had nukes, and none (officially) were in the Middle East? Indeed, only Israel has nukes now (though still unofficially) - Iran's just trying to get them soon. Meanwhile China, India, and Pakistan all have them, and none of them are "Middle East" either. China's are going to mostly be aimed at us in the United States, whereas India and Pakistan aim most of their missiles at each other. If the Taliban succeeds in taking over Pakistan (still a threat - two days ago they were able to take a key strategic town BACK from the Pakistani military) then THAT will be the greatest threat for the use of nuclear weapons in the world. If you missed what the Taliban did for fun when they were in control of Afghanistan, let me assure you: those folks are downright insane.

You must be too young to remember the Cold War to make a statement like that.
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2009 21:32
  • Post subject:
Isreal has been making nukes since the late 60s and dozens were armed and operational during the Yom Kippur War (in 1973). And when I said Middle East - I meant Pakistan & India also. But they are actually in South Asia...anyways, those countries are very close to each other, all within striking range & hate each other passionately. The point is that the tension between countries in the (greater) Middle East during the Cold War (in the 80s at least) was more hostile and dangerous than the battle between the superpowers. That place was a total mess and still is. Now, I hope you won't think me too forward for asking, but is it your old age that gives you such a bland taste in music or is it some other factor?
  • Visit poster's website
haleyyew

Canada

• Posted: 04/22/2010 22:47
  • Post subject:
80s pop music? culture club
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 04/23/2010 10:52
  • Post subject: 80's music (apart from Prince!)
http://www.youtube.com/user/JoyofDivisi...39F58AFA2B

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoyofDivisi...D7AE6E8900

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoyofDivisi...8C2466710F
joyofdivision

• Posted: 04/23/2010 11:10
  • Post subject:

Link
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2010 13:07
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:
Isreal has been making nukes since the late 60s and dozens were armed and operational during the Yom Kippur War (in 1973). And when I said Middle East - I meant Pakistan & India also. But they are actually in South Asia...anyways, those countries are very close to each other, all within striking range & hate each other passionately. The point is that the tension between countries in the (greater) Middle East during the Cold War (in the 80s at least) was more hostile and dangerous than the battle between the superpowers. That place was a total mess and still is. Now, I hope you won't think me too forward for asking, but is it your old age that gives you such a bland taste in music or is it some other factor?

Your premise is flawed - mine isn't a bland taste in music - yours is an uneducated and limited taste in music. There's a difference Wink I know you felt insulted by my earlier comment about not understanding the situation back then, but frankly, your comments about not singing about the Middle East made no sense and showed no small degree of ignorance about the situation in the 80s. Believe me, no one was thinking much about the Middle East then because war between the U.S. and Russia remained a very real threat that we felt constantly until about 1987...about that time things seemed to begin to thaw, and they finally melted after the 1993 overthrow of Russia's communist party. Though they've been getting very chilly again ever since Putin took over from Yeltsin in 1999.

As for Israel, they may have had missiles in the 60s and 70s, but that was hardly common knowledge. They still officially deny possessing nuclear weapons, so the deterrent factor is limited and it also has the effect of not making people worry about them. "Out of sight, out of mind." Aside from the still unsatisfactorily explained and completely unprovoked Israeli attack on the U.S.S. Liberty in 1967 during their 6 Days War with Egypt (killing 34 servicemen and wounding 174), the U.S. and Israel haven't been seriously adversarial in relations.

As for your comment "musicians should do some research or something" you're also forgetting that information was much harder to come by back then due to the lack of a publically available internet. Indeed, development of the World Wide Web which we all take for granted now to casually surf for information was not even begun until 1989 and didn't go live until late '91/early '92 (I'm doing my research here Wink ). Songwriting is an emotional process and to say they should do research - which would have meant painstakingly long hours in the periodicals section of the local library and hoping it was a decently stocked one. If they did that, how good would any song have turned out? You'd be criticizing the clumsiness of the lyrics.

Sorry for the long response delay, but I never saw your comment until now.