Beatles albums: Which track SHOULD have been first?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2013 15:30
  • Post subject: Beatles albums: Which track SHOULD have been first?
Stemming from the "best opening track" thread for the band, which track do you think SHOULD have opened the album from the Beatles' studio albums?

Please Please Me - Love Me Do - just has a sound that's more reminiscent of something starting

With the Beatles - All My Loving - sets the tone for the album

A Hard Day's Night - I know the songs follow the movie soundtrack, but the title track is more of a conclusion and should have been at the other end. Track two, I Should Have Known Better would have been a better opener.

Beatles For Sale - Eight Days A Week - more up tempo, just a better tone to start out on instead of being buried in the middle

Help! - another soundtrack, I guess Help! was as good a choice as any to start it. Maybe start on a low note with Yesterday...but overall none of the songs on this album are good choices for track 1

Rubber Soul - Drive My Car's the best choice on the album...not great, but ok as an opener.

Revolver - Most of the songs are great individually, but not much ties them together. Taxman isn't a great opener, but only Eleanor Rigby would be as good an opener as it is.

Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band - the title track is ideal to start...just not that great a song. It's meant as filler anyway.

The Beatles (White Album) - Ob La Di Ob La Da would have summed up the nonsensical compilation of tracks on this album and been the best opener. Revolution 1 would have been a great opener for an album with a more coherent track listing. And no, I'm not saying the songs on The Beatles are garbage - far from it - I'm saying this collection of tracks makes little sense and that's what's garbage.

Yellow Submarine - eh, it is what it is. Let it be (pun intended).

Abbey Road - Here Comes the Sun really would have been a good choice as an opener OR a closer. She Came In Through the Bathroom Window would have been a good start if you wanted to open with a rock track.

Let It Be - hard to pick a good opening track for their swan song. Let it Be should have been last, they botched that. Across the Universe should have led into it. But first? I've Got a Feeling maybe?

So...anyone else have thoughts on this subject?
Shadow23

Denmark

• Posted: 02/05/2013 15:53
  • Post subject:
I agree with most of the openers, just a few of them could've been better:

Revolver - And Your Bird Can Sing - I think it's one of the few tracks combining the entire album - it is a love song (For No One...), it is throughoutly psycedelic (Tomorrow Never Knows...), it is sad (Eleanor Rigby...), it is rock (Taxman...) and it, though it's sad, leaves you happy (Good Day Sunshine...). On the other hand, Taxman does indeed work as the opener.

The White Album - Revolution 1. No particular reason, actually

Let It Be - Get Back. That was what the entire album was about. Back to the roots.

Charicature wrote:
Yellow Submarine - eh, it is what it is. Let it be (pun intended).

Yes it is. Pun intended
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/05/2013 16:12
  • Post subject:
Taxman is a great opener purely because of those first few seconds. I think Elanor Rigby works perfectly as the second track, infact - the whole album is perfect.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2013 18:07
  • Post subject:
Don't change the Please Please Me opener. It has the greatest intro lyric in all of music.

She was just 17, if you know what I mean.
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 02/05/2013 18:11
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Don't change the Please Please Me opener. It has the greatest intro lyric in all of music.

She was just 17, if you know what I mean.

I once planned to make a list with Beatles songs in that "If BEA'ers were characters from..."-topic, where Hayden would get I Saw Her Standing There, with the addition of the comment "subtract a few years from the opening line". I had too few ideas to realize the list though
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/05/2013 20:06
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
I once planned to make a list with Beatles songs in that "If BEA'ers were characters from..."-topic, where Hayden would get I Saw Her Standing There, with the addition of the comment "subtract a few years from the opening line". I had too few ideas to realize the list though

Do it, just for that.
  • Visit poster's website