LOVE at first sight

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/07/2013 20:38
  • Post subject:
I think a lot of what Magenta wrote is also true for me. I think the reason I don't really hate any albums in particular (well, at least of those that I took the time to rate) is that I never spend too much time with them. I also generally only revisit the "meh" albums, if I think I am missing something. But if there's nothing to make me interested for another listen, I usually won't bother. And so the album will stay on the "meh pile", instead of becoming something I would hate.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/07/2013 21:06
  • Post subject:
I read the word "meh" and I feel a suspicion, but I think I'm just picturing the word differently. If I don't know how I feel about what I'm listening to, I usually get this excitement through me because I know what I'm listening to is different - different in a way where I don't recognize the sounds and haven't learned to understand them - which means there's a strong possibility that this album could mean something to me once I've understood it. "meh" is the best thing I could feel when listening to music the first time through.

But then there's another kind of "meh", as in "nothing special". I've heard this shit done before, and done better. This thing I'm hearing isn't doing anything particularly different. No twist, no original idea, no advancement. The "meh" becomes "fuck this" and the album gets tossed easily from me, and I become less likely to try more material from the artist or band (although my general rule is that one needs to try at least 3-5 albums from an artist before making any strong decisions about how one feels about them... usually... it depends though).

• Posted: 02/07/2013 21:08
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I read the word "meh" and I feel a suspicion, but I think I'm just picturing the word differently. If I don't know how I feel about what I'm listening to, I usually get this excitement through me because I know what I'm listening to is different - different in a way where I don't recognize the sounds and haven't learned to understand them - which means there's a strong possibility that this album could mean something to me once I've understood it. "meh" is the best thing I could feel when listening to music the first time through.

But then there's another kind of "meh", as in "nothing special". I've heard this shit done before, and done better. This thing I'm hearing isn't doing anything particularly different. No twist, no original idea, no advancement. The "meh" becomes "fuck this" and the album gets tossed easily from me, and I become less likely to try more material from the artist or band (although my general rule is that one needs to try at least 3-5 albums from an artist before making any strong decisions about how one feels about them... usually... it depends though).

2deep4me, needs less abstract qualities.

• Posted: 02/07/2013 21:24
  • Post subject:
I'm glad you all like the 'MEH!' concept... Very Happy
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/07/2013 21:36
  • Post subject:
"Meh" to me is a sign of indifference towards something. "I don't know how I feel about what I'm listening to" OR "I've heard this shit done before, and done better" can both be "meh" to me. The former is something that I'll probably revisit, the latter most likely not.

See, even if I'm hearing something "new" and "original", I can feel underwhelmed by it, maybe think that the ideas, as "interesting" as they are, aren't explored in a way that appeals to me. But because they are interesting, it still means that I will probably revisit that album.
  • Visit poster's website