Those GRAMMY Awards...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 02/13/2013 03:20
  • Post subject:
lightmyway wrote:
Babel > ITAOTS

I have yet to hear ITAOTS, simply due to BEA providing me with so many other albums to listen to, but I freely admit I enjoyed Babel, because I like mainstream radio hits just as much as anything else.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2013 03:22
  • Post subject:
lightmyway wrote:
Babel > ITAOTS

What? Those aren't anywhere near the same level. Now never compare Mumford and Sons to Neutral Milk Hotel ever agan please thankyouverymuch
  • Visit poster's website
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 02/13/2013 06:09
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
The term "hipster" is the most overused and boring label in the Western world. Just please stop. People wearing glasses and knitwear and listening to pop-folk are not "hipsters", nor are they trying to be "hip", anywhere in the world. They are the average teen/twenty-something middle-class, white kid. When one in two people on the high street is seen by many as a "hipster", then they aren't fucking "hipsters". Besides, there's a horrible inverted snobbery in the term, and it's come to have such a vague meaning as to mean both nothing and everything at the same time. People who listen to Mumford & Sons and Macklemore are the mainstream, radio pop-loving majority. Get used to it. The fact that they all dress similarly has always happened, and in this cycle it happens to be autumnal colours and skinny jeans. The real "hipsters" (if such a thing even exists) are listening to, and wearing, stuff that the rest of us will probably see become mainstream - albeit in a highly watered down, focus group-tested form - in about three years time, when the next cycle starts again. By which time the "hipsters" (again, people use this term as though these people aren't a malleable and flexible group of individuals, each with their own tastes) will be on to the next trend that the mainstream haven't yet reappropriated and repackaged into something that can be played and stocked in the hundreds of high street clothing outlets all selling the exact same shit. It happened with nu-rave, then came the boat shoes, and now we have horrible derivatives of NY streetwear and indistinguishable knitwear. These people aren't "hipsters", there is no such thing as a "hipster", and the term has become a byword for "somebody who I'm a little bit jealous of". Stop it. Rant over.

Well done. That is really good.
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/13/2013 06:50
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
What? Those aren't anywhere near the same level. Now never compare Mumford and Sons to Neutral Milk Hotel ever agan please thankyouverymuch

You know, it's statements like that which get me a bit hostile, it's as if you're saying one band is too good for another, as if music isn't about opinion, and instead that certain bands are too good to not be preferred over another. I can understand if you said "well, they aren't comparable because they don't sound the same/are a different genre" , but instead you insist that NMH is too good for Mumford and sons. There are people who enjoy Mumford and Sons much over Neutral Milk Hotel. That's why this type of statement annoys me to death. Music is about people's opinion, with a statement such as this one, it's like you're disregarding that and saying it's impossible for a person to like Mumford and Sons over Nuetral Milk Hotel.

Had you said something harmless like NMH is a better band or you prefer them, I can infer that is your opinion, but this statement comes off as too pretentious (and I don't use that word oftentimes because its usage has been blurred) for its own good. No, NMH are not on a different level, they are not on some god - like plane where opinions don't count for shit. Every band is perfectly comparable (in a subjective way that is) to one another (pertaining to who you prefer).

Now, I'm not claiming this is your intent with that statement (which it actually is or else you would have worded it differently), but that statement, in my eyes, makes you come off as an asshole. Obviously I've seen you around the forums enough to know you aren't some ignorant prick, but if this was the first impression you made on me, then I would fuckin hate you.

Also, that thankyouverymuch at the end doesn't help your case. First off, you're not even putting spaces in between the words, that's not a big problem, but it's harder to read, it's the same thing as those dumbass hashtags. Also, it's as if you're saying that people are gonna listen to you in advanced. What makes you think people aren't gonna compare these two bands in the future? Because you fuckin told them to? No!

Perhaps I'm taking this too far, but it's statements like these that get me boiled up. This isn't directed at you Mr. Frogger, just your statement, which is quite obnoxious (in my eyes).
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/13/2013 07:08
  • Post subject:
Listened to Babel awhile back, didn't care for it, but it winning a grammy doesn't somehow make it even worse.
There was a good quote awhile back about awards essentially being an elaborate game of bingo and nothing more, and there's no point in getting riled up about who won what and rather pay attention to the music that was actually created. Babel won an award; superficially that may look like it means something but that still doesn't make it officially better than anything else released this year; it just happened to have it's stars aligned at the right time. And the album still has the same music it had before, there's no point in altering your perception in a harsher light because it won something other albums one may deem better didn't.

And beautiful piece Lethal, hipster is easily the most overused and lamest insult in contemporary culture.
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2013 07:44
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
What other album with the acronym "ITAOTS" are you referring to? You're definitely not talking about In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, as that could potentially get you banned and even murdered.

I couldn't just sit back and do nothing!
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/13/2013 08:24
  • Post subject:
I won't repost lethal's hispter definition again as it has been done and is well constructed. I think (according to my students) hipster refers to those who listen to music above pop music (anything "indie" or not sugary pop) and have the signature black-rimmed glasses. A student called me a hipster for having more than 32gb worth of music from different genres. A decent example of the overuse of the word.

Gay, hipster, c**t - all of these I hear on a daily basis used in the wrong context. As a drama and English teacher, it is like fighting an army with a toothpick.

Anyway, Grammys. It...

Nevermind. It's finished now right?
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/13/2013 11:46
  • Post subject:
Babel is utter shit.
  • Visit poster's website