Album of the day (#859): (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 18:32
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Wrong.

I always laugh when you post because your avatar is Gary Oldman and your thing under it says Don't Do Drugs, and the irony of it is that Gary Oldman has a history of drug and alcohol problems.

• Posted: 03/25/2013 19:06
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I always laugh when you post because your avatar is Gary Oldman and your thing under it says Don't Do Drugs, and the irony of it is that Gary Oldman has a history of drug and alcohol problems.

Yeah; Gary Oldman as a veteran drug addict and alcoholic preaches the virtues of sobriety and cleanness.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 19:07
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Yeah; Gary Oldman as a veteran drug addict and alcoholic preaches the virtues of sobriety and cleanness.

Fair enough.
useless

• Posted: 03/25/2013 19:39
  • Post subject:
Masterpiece. I'm not going to defend Oasis again since all this repetition from my behalf becomes tiresome after a while. but apart from the amazing diversity in the sound between the songs (so much more than just its notorious loudness)-the dudes here reveall all their influences, from the guitar layered sound of Never Mind The Bollocks to Hendrix-like psychedelia and guitar playing during Champagne Supernova and from the Rolling Stones ("scrape the shit right off your shoes") to the merseybeat years of the Beatles etc.-what finally stands out is that it feels spontaneous, exciting and downright authentic. Noel Gallagher's lyrics (while not necessarily reaching new ground or lacking the incomparable wit of true masters like Dylan) cover an inner world filled with pretty much what concerns most persons-relationships, idols, everyday routine, nostalgia, reflectory thoughts-sometimes using a wacky sense of humour, sometimes being truly emotional or just getting in the mood to burst his repressed feelings. While the way they kept going on delivering poorly received work killed the opportunities for them to be deservedly listed among the highly acclaimed artists who emerged from the '90s, like Radiohead or their contemporary counterparts like Blur and Suede, this has not only aged gracefully, but 18 years on, it still sounds fresh and flawlessly enjoyable as fuck, hitting all the notes right, at least to my ears. Champagne Supernova is definitely up there with the greatest songs of the decade btw.
Kiki

• Posted: 03/25/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
Roll With It was an alright song. That I can remember Think
thursdayeno

• Posted: 03/25/2013 20:25
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
Masterpiece. I'm not going to defend Oasis again since all this repetition from my behalf becomes tiresome after a while. but apart from the amazing diversity in the sound between the songs (so much more than just its notorious loudness)-the dudes here reveall all their influences, from the guitar layered sound of Never Mind The Bollocks to Hendrix-like psychedelia and guitar playing during Champagne Supernova and from the Rolling Stones ("scrape the shit right off your shoes") to the merseybeat years of the Beatles etc.-what finally stands out is that it feels spontaneous, exciting and downright authentic. Noel Gallagher's lyrics (while not necessarily reaching new ground or lacking the incomparable wit of true masters like Dylan) cover an inner world filled with pretty much what concerns most persons-relationships, idols, everyday routine, nostalgia, reflectory thoughts-sometimes using a wacky sense of humour, sometimes being truly emotional or just getting in the mood to burst his repressed feelings. While the way they kept going on delivering poorly received work killed the opportunities for them to be deservedly listed among the highly acclaimed artists who emerged from the '90s, like Radiohead or their contemporary counterparts like Blur and Suede, this has not only aged gracefully, but 18 years on, it still sounds fresh and flawlessly enjoyable as fuck, hitting all the notes right, at least to my ears. Champagne Supernova is definitely up there with the greatest songs of the decade btw.

radiohead might be the best band in the world and but oasis gets the last laugh because they have sold more than twice the albums, they have almost sold as many as shania twain

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 03/25/2013 20:28
  • Post subject:
thursdayeno wrote:
radiohead might be the best band in the world and but oasis gets the last laugh because they have sold more than twice the albums, they have almost sold as many as shania twain

Personally I don't really care much about sales.

• Posted: 03/25/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
thursdayeno wrote:

Dude, what are you even doing here.
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 20:35
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Dude, what are you even doing here.

AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/25/2013 21:28
  • Post subject:
Obviously, Definitely Maybe is the better album. This one is still great though - although a couple of the songs bug me. It was after this, from Be Here Now onwards, that Oasis just completely fell apart and started sucking major ass. Hence why 97.2% of any Oasis concert is made up of songs from DM and WtS(MG)?
  • Visit poster's website