Are you really giving all music the same chance?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
tbakeman

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2013 14:16
  • Post subject:
I never gave Bright Eyes a chance, mostly because I associate it with all my hipster friends that don't even think Jeff Mangum is any good. I've always him on my shuffle playlist, but always skipped him when he would come up, for some reason. So finally, this weekend I gave I'm Wide Awake a chance, long and behold he is actually pretty good. Still no Jeff Mangum though.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2013 17:59
  • Post subject: Re: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
an_outlaw wrote:
Hey, I think there are musical prejudices going on. Some people are fearful or fear liking certain albums because how others might perceive them. They won't admit to liking them or have them as "guilty pleasures". They listen to albums they don't like over 5 times and still insist on giving them more listens because they don't "get them" or "understand" them yet. At the same time, they rate albums very poorly which they have yet to even listen to once! Shocked Sometimes they may have heard one or two hit singles. These umbrellas called "indie" and "alternative" have many snobs.

It is 2013. This is not a BEA thing, this is everywhere. Music has too much people who take themselves too seriously. So much people are so stuck up with their "Art". Their musical "diversity". Their "ambient" nonsense.

Lighten up Shame on you

It is music.

Me, personally? No - anyone can tell from my top 100 list I don't give a crap about perceptions if I like certain music. And frankly I doubt there's too many of the type that ARE prejudiced against certain types of music for social reasons on this site.
Kiki

• Posted: 04/29/2013 18:18
Charicature wrote:
Me, personally? No - anyone can tell from my top 100 list I don't give a crap about perceptions if I like certain music. And frankly I doubt there's too many of the type that ARE prejudiced against certain types of music for social reasons on this site.

I see. The whole thread was a waste of my words. I haven't a read a word from the thread since my last post but just this moment I saw a new post and thought I better clear up the mess I made before it carries on forever.

I don't like what I wrote and I made another post bourne out of frustration of people misinterpreting what I had to say to begin with. It was the wrong thing to do, I really should have left it be forever after the first post went astray. I'm undergoing changes in ideas and have been thinking many different ones since I first made this. It is a chaotic time in my mind haha!

I'm sure you listen to what you want Mr Charicature Razz Everyone else please refrain from taking the first post at face value. As I said, I have some other ideas and there will subsequent threads (if of a different nature) or posts if they fit here or in another thread.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/30/2013 15:06
an_outlaw wrote:
... As I said, I have some other ideas ...

Ideas are good.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2013 18:24
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Also, I find it weird when people write off certain genres. After all, every artist sounds different.

That's not actually true, and, indeed, in certain genres there's a LOT more ripping off of the sound and style of other artists than in other genres, because they're more likely to try to do what's already been successful for someone else.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/30/2013 18:37
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
That's not actually true, and, indeed, in certain genres there's a LOT more ripping off of the sound and style of other artists than in other genres, because they're more likely to try to do what's already been successful for someone else.

That may be in the case of certain songs, but overall every artist still has their own sound, I've never come across a case where I'd regard two artist sounding completely similar. Many artists have numerous influences across different genres and this is often heard in their sound.

• Visit poster's website