Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 05/13/2013 17:11
  • Post subject: Re: The best songs of the 50's
miguelabbate wrote:
and I think we all agreed that 60's and 70's were the best decades for the contemporany music,

I don't think there is any consensus on this. I think BEA users would argue in favour of many different decades.
Kiki

• Posted: 05/13/2013 17:29
  • Post subject:
Oh a thread about the 50's. The obsolete decade. Laughing

To be generous though, there are some lovely voices amongst this lot. Buddy Holly, Elvis, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry and Little Richard are all alright.

Best Songs? I suppose we have 'Tutti Frutti', 'Heartbeat', 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Johnny B Goode'. Think All I can think off the top of my head anyway.
oldehamme

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2013 17:39
  • Post subject:
Mod wrote:
I think you'll find Neutrel Milk Hotel were the most popular 50s band. They had such diverse albums in their discography - jazz, rhythm and blues, country, gospel, and then towards the later 50s, even rock 'n' roll. They collaborated with the likes of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, and Bo Diddley. They did a world tour with Robert fucking Johnson, and met Miles fucking Davis, John fucking Coltrane, and Charles fucking Mingus. Together, Neutrel Milk Hotel were the stars of the 50s, and with 'Two Headed Bot Pt. 2', everybody bought their singles. They were so ahead of their time. I mean, their famous 50s album, 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea', almost sounded like it were from 1998. Progressive, much?

You neglected to mention how NMH cured polio, built the interstate highway system and integrated major league baseball.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/13/2013 17:45
  • Post subject:
oldehamme wrote:
You neglected to mention how NMH cured polio, built the interstate highway system and integrated major league baseball.

And killed Osama Bin Laden!
  • Visit poster's website
attraction-gear

Bermuda

• Posted: 05/13/2013 17:58
  • Post subject:
Applause Applause
Link

miguelabbate

Venezuela

• Posted: 05/13/2013 22:48
junodog4 wrote:
I don't think there is any consensus on this. I think BEA users would argue in favour of many different decades.

Well you know, I definetly think that I would defend the 90's and the 2000's, because I grow up listening the music of that decades, but I think that if we're trying to be objectives, which is very difficult in topics like music, we would see that the 60's and the 70's, especially the 60's, was a point of not return for music, I mean the way of making music changed, It was the begining of pop music as we know it right now, and all that we are consuming now it's been influenced for that decade, that's the reason why i think 60's is the best decade for contemporany music, I accept that I was a little bit silly when I said something like "we all agreed" because I'm new in this, anyway, I respect your opinion man, and I hope we keep discussing this topics. Smile
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/13/2013 23:25
miguelabbate wrote:
Well you know, I definetly think that I would defend the 90's and the 2000's, because I grow up listening the music of that decades, but I think that if we're trying to be objectives, which is very difficult in topics like music, we would see that the 60's and the 70's, especially the 60's, was a point of not return for music, I mean the way of making music changed, It was the begining of pop music as we know it right now, and all that we are consuming now it's been influenced for that decade, that's the reason why i think 60's is the best decade for contemporany music, I accept that I was a little bit silly when I said something like "we all agreed" because I'm new in this, anyway, I respect your opinion man, and I hope we keep discussing this topics. Smile

We shouldn't try and be objective. The quality of popular music cannot be measured objectively. Sure, one can measure the quality of the playing objectively, but it is impossible to measure the quality of a song or an album objectively. I don't want to get into this discussion again, and I'm quite enjoying these '50s numbers (keep them coming people, especially doo wop or early soul if anybody knows any gems), but please try not to measure music objectively. It's a fundamentally and principally flawed way of thinking.
miguelabbate

Venezuela

• Posted: 05/13/2013 23:52
lethalnezzle wrote:
We shouldn't try and be objective. The quality of popular music cannot be measured objectively. Sure, one can measure the quality of the playing objectively, but it is impossible to measure the quality of a song or an album objectively. I don't want to get into this discussion again, and I'm quite enjoying these '50s numbers (keep them coming people, especially doo wop or early soul if anybody knows any gems), but please try not to measure music objectively. It's a fundamentally and principally flawed way of thinking.

Alright I get your point of view, It doesn't matter it's "objectively good" or "objectively bad", what it really matters when it comes to music is that you like it and you enjoyed it. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
tbakeman

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2013 03:08
  • Post subject:
Peggy Sue gets me going every time!
  • Visit poster's website
attraction-gear

Bermuda

• Posted: 05/14/2013 10:17
  • Post subject:
Very Happy Very Happy No need to fight. Music is an ART form. Period. Being thus, it is NECESSARILY subjective at a certain point. I have gone thru all the music motions and by that, I mean I have listened to music of all the decades including the '20s and the '30s....once I found an old 78rpm LP )SmileSmile in our family's attic (where else:)Smile) and it literally blew me away......know which tune it was? Stormy Weather, with its megaphone effect on the vocals.....for me, that was the ABSOLUTE FIRST psychedelic tune ever.....all the rest thru the years is history:)Smile Wink Wink