Underrated Albums In Your Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/16/2013 18:07
  • Post subject:
I take back my uncalled bashing of this thread, it's been really great reading some of these entries.

I'll just quickly post about an album that gets lots of love from Harkan and I, but falls short everywhere else.
Elbow aren't a band that resonate well with everyone, and often get tied with that cozy, evening by the fire scene that they've been pushing with their latest records.

But they didn't start out like that, and their debut Asleep In The Back is, in my opinion, a moody, post-brit-pop masterpiece. I don't think any other album sounds like it, Elbow have gone so far away from this sound that it seems like a real shame. It fuses so many different inspirations that it's a thing of it's own.

Any Day Now is a perfect opener, a real murky, low and dank song that sets the scene just right.

Link

Newborn may well be my favourite song, that possibly holds a record, to me, for having the most perfect opening and closing minutes of any song. Music doesn't get much bigger than the moment from 6:18 onwards, absolutely earth shattering.

Link

And possibly my favourite song on the record, Scattered Black and White is such a gorgeous closer. Craig Potter really steals the show on this one as a pianist, and matches Guy Garvey's tone and lyrics so perfectly. It's a delicate, twinkling at times, but at others that really deep low notes that resonates for a few seconds.
Brilliant stuff.

Link

If you enjoy any of Radiohead's work, you should find something to appreciate from this LP.
JMan

• Posted: 05/16/2013 18:10
  • Post subject:
If I haven't already stated the Bat trio, Metropolis Pt. 2 by Dream Theater. Great music along with a mysterious story makes a great combo.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2013 18:24
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

The Progressive Blues experiment - Johnny Winter:

Link

This blues album is probably one of my favorites of all times. Johnny Winter manages to impress me time after time with how masterful he can play blues. Definitely check out some of his early 70's/late 60's work if you like this album..

I really enjoyed this one.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2013 18:33
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I take back my uncalled bashing of this thread, it's been really great reading some of these entries.

I'll just quickly post about an album that gets lots of love from Harkan and I, but falls short everywhere else.
Elbow aren't a band that resonate well with everyone, and often get tied with that cozy, evening by the fire scene that they've been pushing with their latest records.

But they didn't start out like that, and their debut Asleep In The Back is, in my opinion, a moody, post-brit-pop masterpiece. I don't think any other album sounds like it, Elbow have gone so far away from this sound that it seems like a real shame. It fuses so many different inspirations that it's a thing of it's own.

I'm a big Elbow fan. Asleep In The Back is phenomenal, but I probably prefer Cast of Thousands.

To add another to the discussion:

Bill Fay - Time Of The Last Persecution
Released 1971
Rank #5,589 overall

Last year I heard Bill Fay for the first time after he released his first album in decades. It was great, so I looked back into his past and discovered Time Of The Last Persecution. This is some of the most poignant songwriting I've ever heard. I'd easily place this among the best works of Dylan and Cohen. And unlike those two there's a more electric aspect to his music, allowing for a few epic solos. In a lot of ways this reminds me of Wilco decades before they came into existence.

Link

• Visit poster's website
Altsoul

Argentina

• Posted: 05/16/2013 18:51
  • Post subject:
Wipers - Over the Edge (1983)

One of the best albums of punk and alternative rock. The did it before The Pixies and Nirvana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2m7KM8lJCE
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/16/2013 19:33
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I'm a big Elbow fan. Asleep In The Back is phenomenal, but I probably prefer Cast of Thousands.

To add another to the discussion:

Bill Fay - Time Of The Last Persecution
Released 1971
Rank #5,589 overall

Last year I heard Bill Fay for the first time after he released his first album in decades. It was great, so I looked back into his past and discovered Time Of The Last Persecution. This is some of the most poignant songwriting I've ever heard. I'd easily place this among the best works of Dylan and Cohen. And unlike those two there's a more electric aspect to his music, allowing for a few epic solos. In a lot of ways this reminds me of Wilco decades before they came into existence.

Very interesting. I'm actually listening to that album right now and will listen to his debut after that. It seems that Current 93 frontman persuades him to record a new album after 40 years and the result becomes 2012 album Life Is People; it's very interesting because I wouldn't have imagined David Tibet's musical taste to be anything like that. The album itself has clear country influences (and Jeff Tweedy is a fan of him) which is odd for a British artist but it sounds great and lyrics are minimalist but deep at the same time. Thanks for recommending it.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2013 21:16
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Very interesting. I'm actually listening to that album right now and will listen to his debut after that. It seems that Current 93 frontman persuades him to record a new album after 40 years and the result becomes 2012 album Life Is People; it's very interesting because I wouldn't have imagined David Tibet's musical taste to be anything like that. The album itself has clear country influences (and Jeff Tweedy is a fan of him) which is odd for a British artist but it sounds great and lyrics are minimalist but deep at the same time. Thanks for recommending it.

Glad you enjoyed it. The debut is great too, but I prefer this one. It's also amazing how good he sounded on Life Is People after 40 years.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2013 23:43
  • Post subject:
This album isn't on my chart (yet) but Brother Dege - Folk Song of The American Longhair is fucking incredible.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/17/2013 02:19
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
I really enjoyed this one.

Well, glad someone got something out of the albums I posted!