Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2013 12:15
  • Post subject: Re: Self Improvement For Your Listening Experience
soundguardian wrote:
Haha yeah I remember such a story about The Rite of Spring from a Survey of Western Music History class that I took for funzies at one point. Diaghilev the impressario put the show on and there was a riot because of all its experimentation in the avant-garde, dissonances, etc. lol and now dissonance is widely accepted in modern / post-modern composition all the time. Stravinsky was ahead of his time like... say, the Velvet Underground, Yardbirds, King Crimson were ahead of their time.

I like that you're informed about music history Applause

Exactly. There have been many studies done in regards to how the ear adjusts to new, unfamiliar sounds. The reason some pop music is so massive is because it follows formulas of familiarity so that it's instantly appealing.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/20/2013 13:00
  • Post subject:
soundguardian wrote:
what about the radio during the holiday season? all they play during the holiday season is christmas music. Laughing

also, what do you think about christmas music now? I've grown sick of it after 22 years of it, to be honest.

Very Happy

Well, because I didn't listen to the radio, I didn't know they played Christmas music.

Now - a - days Christmas music is really only good during the Christmas season, except for Afroman Christmas music, that shit's da bomb all year round.

• Posted: 05/20/2013 16:59
  • Post subject:
I fucking love Christmas music. Very Happy Well, I love it the way I love Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen...I never actually listen to it, but I love belting it out at random moments. Laughing Though I think in general I prefer Christmas music to Queen.

I'll give any genre a chance, but there are certain lyrical themes and "vibes" that I just steer away from. Every music has a different viewpoint or feeling. I can't stand the sort of "Yeah! *guitar* Yeah!" type of stuff and though I'm trying really hard to get into rap, most of the stuff I've listened to I just find vulgar. Yes, I'm sensitive and conservative-ish (not politically or anything, I just think people should try to be a little more refined and less like hooligans). Anyways, I started off my musical journey with nu-metal being my favourite genre. I liked Korn and such. Daddy was such a twisted song, I haven't a clue why I subjected myself to that. XD I mean, I don't feel ashamed for it; I enjoyed it then, I ought not to regret it. Even though the only band from those days I still like is System of a Down (not really nu-metal, but I listened to things of that ilk - Disturbed and such too) Anyways, from there I went to classic rock for some reason. My favourite bands at that point were System of a Down and The Beatles. That really was a lovely combination. After listening to bunches of classic rock I became obsessed with progressive rock and I got really into Pink Floyd (so much that I bought their entire discography Laughing ) The Wall was my favourite, because I was still fresh out of that nu-metal and classic rock daze, plus I was an emotional kid. At the same time, Tayyab (Eggman) was feeding me all the experimental stuff he liked, so for a while it was kind of a mix of Pink Floyd and things like that, and soon all the experimental stuff made me favor early Pink Floyd, and then I became obsessed with Radiohead and Tool, and then I didn't like Tool as much, but I still liked Radiohead...And then I became obsessed with Syd Barrett's solo albums, and from there I decided that folk was my favourite. Then I discovered things like Neutral Milk Hotel, and adored it. Then came Joanna Newsom (still probably my favourite artist tied with Vashti Bunyan). And then I started listening to some weird atmospheric electronic thingies, and loved them (I had already heard and loved Irrlicht by Klaus Schulze earlier on)...And yeah. I listen to music.

FYI, this is probably chronologically fucked.

Oh, and actually answering the above questions...Music is music. It all comes down to what you like, as when I mentioned the "vibes" above. Sure some music is simpler than others, but then simpler music can be acclaimed (see: Punk) and innovative. So yeah, whatever you like. I think it's best to be open, but I don't think music aims to be easy or difficult. The artist aims to make what they like.